Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2016, 08:31 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
There is a rapid test for strep. It takes about 10 minutes. I don't know when it came on the market, but it was there in 2004 when I started in a pediatric office. If the test is positive, we know the pt. has strep. If it's negative, we're 95% sure s/he doesn't have strep, so we send a swab to the lab for a double check.
Our son was born in 69 and had many problems with strep. I remember the doctors taking throat swabs; but I never remember quick testing - possibly I simply do not remember or he preceded the test?

However; I am surprised that our testing methods have not improved to the point that it would be very easy to test all patients for almost anything. It would eliminate much of the controversy about over-medicating or under-medicating. It would also set the record straight with many of these herbalist.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:34 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Okay so I'm not up on my chemical terminology and I thought too fast for my fingers this time. When you type "novels" like I do sometimes you hit an error or two.
However this doesn't change a thing. It goes both ways. If you know that there is an article about the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide which is fake then how do you know that websites that tell you there are side effects to a supplement aren't fake? How do you know that doctors are always telling the truth?
Also the compound H20 is not even remotely close to the chemicals in prescription drugs. When I use the word "chemicals" I'm not taking it literally, I mean a substance that is not pure/synthetic.
The word chemicals has a meaning. When you use the word, one assumes you are using it correctly. If you know so little about "chemicals" to not know that dihydrogen monoxide means H2O (as a reminder, the CHEMICAL value of water), then why are you talking about chemicals or medical issues at all?

I don't believe in "articles," I believe in studies. Given how you fell for the fake article hook, line, and sinker, do you think perhaps you might not be the most well-informed person to articulate this view?

Quote:
Jamin you are not helping our anti non herbal medicine cause here
Pot, meet kettle.

Last edited by charolastra00; 10-06-2016 at 09:27 AM..

Old 10-06-2016, 09:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Our son was born in 69 and had many problems with strep. I remember the doctors taking throat swabs; but I never remember quick testing - possibly I simply do not remember or he preceded the test?

However; I am surprised that our testing methods have not improved to the point that it would be very easy to test all patients for almost anything. It would eliminate much of the controversy about over-medicating or under-medicating. It would also set the record straight with many of these herbalist.
I vaguely remember the rapid tests when my kids born in the mid-80s were a little older. Prior to that, they got the regular throat cultures that take two days. Most of the time, the dr. waited until the results were available before prescribing anitbiotics. Sometimes, if the throat looked really bad and the doc was all but sure, s/he would prescribe the ABs at the time of the visit, and then if the culture was negative, say to stop them. There is also a rapid test for flu, but it's not as reliable. If it's positive, you def have the flu, but there are a lot of false negatives, so the doc does have to use his/her clinical judgement. There are quick tests for anemia and urinary tract infections as well.

I don't know what you mean about "tests for everything". The doctor does use his/her training and education to diagnose. That's why they listen to your heart and lungs, look in your ears, feel your abdomen, look at your skin, etc. And there are X-rays, MRIs, and other kinds of imaging, and blood tests that will pick up some diseases, e.g. mono, hypo/hyperthyroid. Some diseases are simply harder to diagnose, either there being no tests, or only non-specific tests. One thing you can be sure is that it's not your "aura" or "chakra" or something like that that is causing the symptoms.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I vaguely remember the rapid tests when my kids born in the mid-80s were a little older. Prior to that, they got the regular throat cultures that take two days. Most of the time, the dr. waited until the results were available before prescribing anitbiotics. Sometimes, if the throat looked really bad and the doc was all but sure, s/he would prescribe the ABs at the time of the visit, and then if the culture was negative, say to stop them. There is also a rapid test for flu, but it's not as reliable. If it's positive, you def have the flu, but there are a lot of false negatives, so the doc does have to use his/her clinical judgement. There are quick tests for anemia and urinary tract infections as well.

I don't know what you mean about "tests for everything". The doctor does use his/her training and education to diagnose. That's why they listen to your heart and lungs, look in your ears, feel your abdomen, look at your skin, etc. And there are X-rays, MRIs, and other kinds of imaging, and blood tests that will pick up some diseases, e.g. mono, hypo/hyperthyroid. Some diseases are simply harder to diagnose, either there being no tests, or only non-specific tests. One thing you can be sure is that it's not your "aura" or "chakra" or something like that that is causing the symptoms.
I left my fingers do the Googling and I found this link: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/811219. It does state that it was out for clinical trials. I quote: "A new test that analyzes patients' immune responses, rather than the pathogens themselves, can rapidly distinguish viral infections from bacterial infections, according to an article published in the September 18 issue of Science Translational Medicine."

I respect the knowledge of our professionals; I just wished they had better tools. Like you stated when your children were young; many times the physicians gave an educated guess and prescribed antibiotics. Even today, with our fear of superbugs; some doctors still do not wait for results and probably with good reason. I used to hate going to the doctor and they prescribed the antibiotics and I would come home and put on the medical news to have doctors holler at the patients for taking too many antibiotics - it wasn't my call; it was theirs!

If better 'tools' are on their way; that would solve many of these issues.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I left my fingers do the Googling and I found this link: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/811219. It does state that it was out for clinical trials. I quote: "A new test that analyzes patients' immune responses, rather than the pathogens themselves, can rapidly distinguish viral infections from bacterial infections, according to an article published in the September 18 issue of Science Translational Medicine."

I respect the knowledge of our professionals; I just wished they had better tools. Like you stated when your children were young; many times the physicians gave an educated guess and prescribed antibiotics. Even today, with our fear of superbugs; some doctors still do not wait for results and probably with good reason. I used to hate going to the doctor and they prescribed the antibiotics and I would come home and put on the medical news to have doctors holler at the patients for taking too many antibiotics - it wasn't my call; it was theirs!

If better 'tools' are on their way; that would solve many of these issues.
No, that's not what I said. I said if they were all but sure the child had strep, they'd prescribe some ABs to start while waiting for the culture to come back.

Sometimes, it's better to give the ABs and wait on the results of the tests because you want to get the infection under control. This does not happen often, mind you.

Many diseases/conditions have no reliable "test", and are diagnosed via history and physical, concussions, for instance.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
No, that's not what I said. I said if they were all but sure the child had strep, they'd prescribe some ABs to start while waiting for the culture to come back.

Sometimes, it's better to give the ABs and wait on the results of the tests because you want to get the infection under control. This does not happen often, mind you.

Many diseases/conditions have no reliable "test", and are diagnosed via history and physical, concussions, for instance.
When antibiotics first came out they were looked as a miracle drugs. Heck most flu deaths are caused by secondary pneumonia and then, all of a sudden, we could 'treat' pneumonia. doctors saved thousands of lives with the new miracle cure. Even back in the late 1960's I was helping with the manufacturing of a serum for gas gangrene. Today there is no 'serum' because of improvements in antibiotics.

Now our fear of superbugs takes top priority. But better testing methods should help all of this and also help us fight the superbugs. We have to identify them quickly to combat the spread.

Sorry if I misquoted you before; I meant no offense.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:17 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Deja vu is not "fake". Who says it is?

There is psychology behind it.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...science-d-j-vu

How many times has your "gay-dar" made you think someone was gay who wasn't? Psychology again: we tend to remember when we were right better than we remember when we were wrong.

If you think people are nice then they are not, perhaps your ability to read them is not as good as you are trying to lead us to believe.

One of the issues with the OP is the blind faith in herbal products that have never been shown to do anything useful and for which quality control is dubious. With any herbal - no matter who makes it and how much it costs - there is no regulation that says the label has to accurately describe what is in the container.

Meanwhile, the expertise of people who have studied a subject for years is ditched in favor of the unproven "supp".

If you discuss chemicals and show us you do not understand basic chemistry, be prepared to be called out on it. Dihydrogen monoxide is the chemical name for water, dear. Plain old water. It is very real, not fake. The article is a parody, designed to show people who natter on about the dangers of chemicals how silly that is. Our entire bodies are nothing but chemicals. Every bodily process, every thought you have - it's all done with chemicals. Your Fiji water contains dihydrogen monoxide. H2O is not a compound, either. It is a molecule. Your not knowing the difference means you do not have even the most basic education in chemistry.

You may choose not to believe anything about supplements that does not fit your view of them. There is psychology behind that, too. It's called denial.

You do not get to invent your own definition for "chemicals". Sorry, words have meanings. If you do not use the accepted meaning you cannot communicate effectively. The word "chemicals" does not have any connotation of purity, a chemical can come from a hole in the ground or be synthesized, and, yes, water is just as much a chemical as anything in a prescription drug. A synthetic chemical can be just as pure as anything found in nature, though neither is going to ever be 100% pure.

The arsenic in your Fiji water is a chemical, too.

What Is a Chemical? (and What Isn't One)

"Question: What Is a Chemical?

Short answer: Everything is a chemical.

Long answer: A chemical is any substance consisting of matter. This includes any liquid, solid, or gas. A chemical is any pure substance or any mixture. It doesn't matter whether it occurs naturally or is made artificially."

Well stated. I just took a few slurps of dihydrogen monoxide and it did not kill me. Maybe it takes a while.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Well stated. I just took a few slurps of dihydrogen monoxide and it did not kill me. Maybe it takes a while.
An average of 78.74 years for men in the US, in fact.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:22 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
For those who would like to NOT deal with cancers. I'm banking on Iodine dosing and my OPC's...so far I'm good and 78. Many cancer research centers are using OPC's in their research: city of hope, may and many others.

Or consume a high amount of iodine rich foods...I eat some but certainly not those rich in iodine.

A friend is losing the "C" battle and it's very sad, they are pumping more drugs in her and the "C" is spreading.

My son in law lost the "C" battle at 55.

Neither of these 2 people believed in holistic/alternative healing.

Iodine and Cancer

And YES I know some make it with their "C".

Old 10-06-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
For those who would like to NOT deal with cancers. I'm banking on Iodine dosing and my OPC's...so far I'm good and 78. Many cancer research centers are using OPC's in their research: city of hope, may and many others.

Or consume a high amount of iodine rich foods...I eat some but certainly not those rich in iodine.

A friend is losing the "C" battle and it's very sad, they are pumping more drugs in her and the "C" is spreading.

My son in law lost the "C" battle at 55.

Neither of these 2 people believed in holistic/alternative healing.

Iodine and Cancer

And YES I know some make it with their "C".

I just lost a friend who killed both herself and her daughter because of fearing the chemo that would save their lives. She had long believed in supplements and still developed stage III cancer at 26 years old. A year later, her infant who had not been vaxxed was diagnosed with cancer and died a mere 8 months later. Said friend has now relapsed and "treated" her still *very* curable cancer with Chinese "medicine."

She has turned to conventional medicine, but it's too late. Now the family is hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt from chasing snake oil, she is in hospice, and she will pass at the ripe old age of 32 despite all the lies she believed about alkalizing her body, taking dubious supplements, and treating chemo as "toxic."

Meanwhile, I had the same type of cancer as she did but far more advanced and I am considered cured. And I meet young adults who take supplements, run marathons, etc. every single day who are diagnosed with cancer in their teens, 20s, and 30s.

So honey, please. Nope.

I hope your daughter has put you out like a dumpster fire for how you speak about her husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies