Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2019, 04:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
If you say so.
Not me. My link: "HypertensionManagement Action Guide for Health Care Providers" says so. I can't copy it and you won't look at it.

Here's another:
https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/241381-treatment
"Lifestyle modifications are essential for the prevention of high BP, and these are generally the initial steps in managing hypertension."

More:
https://www.webmd.com/hypertension-h...ent-overview#1
"Treating high blood pressure involves lifestyle changes and possibly drug therapy."

https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardio...sure-in-adults
It is important to screen for and manage other CVD risk factors in adults with hypertension: smoking, diabetes, dyslipidemia, excessive weight, low fitness, unhealthy diet, psychosocial stress, and sleep apnea. . . Nonpharmacologic interventions to reduce BP include: weight loss for overweight or obese patients with a heart healthy diet, sodium restriction, and potassium supplementation within the diet; and increased physical activity with a structured exercise program. Men should be limited to no more than 2 and women no more than 1 standard alcohol drink(s) per day. The usual impact of each lifestyle change is a 4-5 mm Hg decrease in SBP and 2-4 mm Hg decrease in DBP; but diet low in sodium, saturated fat, and total fat and increase in fruits, vegetables, and grains may decrease SBP by approximately 11 mm Hg."

https://www.thecardiologyadvisor.com...t-algorithm-2/
Step 1. "Implement lifestyle modifications (continue throughout management)"

Plus much more.

Old 10-14-2019, 04:25 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's a huge game that has been going on for decades.
That's what uninformed people say.

Quote:
There was talking about "curing" the common cold when I was a kid.
So? The common cold is caused by a virus. That virus mutates frequently. There are as many strains as there are people in the US.

If you want to stick yourself with 300 Million needles, go right ahead.

One would also have to question the ethics and morality of wasting money researching the common cold virus which neither kills nor maims instead of spending it on virus that do kill or maim.

Quote:
And forget that "run for cancer cures". Cancer is mega business.
Spoken like someone with no understanding of cancer.

All cancer is genetic.

It's genetic in one of four ways:

1) Congenital. That means your born with that gene. Certain types of lung cancer are genetic and prevalent in 10% of the population centuries before people started smoking. Certain forms of breast cancer are genetic. Childhood leukemia is genetic.

2) Coerced mutation. Certain organic chemicals known as "carcinogens" can cause genes to mutate. For some carcinogens it's 100% guaranteed meaning Exposure = Cancer. For other carcinogens it's dependent on other factors. Not all coerced mutations are caused by chemicals. UV radiation can cause skin cancers as an example.

3) Coerced viral mutation. A handful of cancers are know to be caused by virus which coerce gene mutations, such as HPV.

4) Natural mutation. More often than not, these result in benign tumors which can be successfully removed and treatment can end it, but they may also be cancerous or impair the function of certain organs.

The human genome has not been mapped 100%. They're still working on it. DNA is in genes, and genes are on chromosomes, so it's going to be a while before they figure it out.

Quote:
My sister counted on mega $1000's in drugs to slow down the MS she is challenged with, she is totally worse and has so declined.
So?

There is no cure for MS, and apparently you don't understand drugs or human physiology.

You can give 10 people the same drug, it may or may not work on all of them, and some will experience side-effects and some won't and for those who do experience side-effects the side-effects may be different for each person, so that no two people experience the exact same side-effects or experience them in the exact same way.

Quote:
It's NOT in the Industry's best interests to CURE AND HEAL. They have to answer to stockholders, major pharma companies....
Spoken like someone uninformed about the entire system.

The government has its own research labs that conduct medical research on a variety of illnesses.

There are university research labs that also conduct medical research on a variety of illnesses.

There are private labs that conduct research on a variety of illnesses or focus on a group of closely related illnesses or one illness in particular.

And then there are pharmaceutical labs.

It's not a conspiracy in spite of your pathetic attempts to crow-bar it into a conspiracy.

You would do well to educate yourself on the matter.

Old 10-14-2019, 04:27 PM

18,810 posts, read 8,481,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
On this - I look at doctors like 1st level tech support who in their spare time might have a really serious specialty in the world of computing. But if you asked that tech support about a specific program you should run to keep your PC healthy, you'd get 1,000 different answers if you asked 1,000 people.

And this isn't directed at your comment, just that your comment got me thinking...

As an IT person married to a nurse, I remark on this similar "you are supposed to know everything I am about to ask about" mentality we both get all the time, when the fact is, for a lot of people in a lot of jobs, they know THEIR thing and not much outside of it. It's my main issue with doctors, because like them, I am expected to know everything under the Sun about ALL technology ever. Sad fact - I don't and neither does any pro, educated, multi-degreed geek like me. I give doctors that same credit. They may indeed have a specific area of practice, but even that makes them 2nd level tech support for that area and 1st level...maybe...for everything else.

That's who we are asking all these medical questions of, and they probably have most of their answers provided by the same place you'd find them - Google.

The only value I place in physical exams is not the doctor's appraisal of the results, but the the process of obtaining test results themselves. I know from Google what good ranges are for the various stuff general practitioners examine, so I get the results, blank out while they explain stuff, then take the results and go on Google to get a clearer understanding. Honestly, if there was a way to simply send my various fluids to Google and get values/readings, and just WebMD all of it, I'd never see a doctor again until a repair was required. I don't fault doctors for this, I simply respect how trivial 1st and 2nd level tech support is.

I don't think the average doctor cares much one way or the other if this disease or that gets cured. They went to a crapload of school, racked up craploads of debt, and now work craploads of hours to pay that back and maybe have a better than average shot at the good life in their 50s-60s. They see patients, do their level best to do right by each one, punch the time clock, go home to the family, lather rinse repeat for the next 30-40 years...just like the rest of us. I am not knocking them at all, I just figure they are like any other profession, running the same kind of rat race without all the nobility and deity-like power we seek to imbue them with.
Some very interesting comments and views there!

I've been a doc for over 40 years, so I'll make some of my own in rebuttal.

First off do not discount the value of our long term study. Docs' education does not end at med school graduation. And especially do not underestimate the value of our long experience dealing with patients on a day to day basis for many years. This is where the anecdotal armchair google internet docs will commonly come up short. It is one thing to have a small part of a medical history, chief complaint or test result vs a potentially much larger thing to be able to apply that to the unique and overall broad medical/social picture of any one patient at that particular point in time. There is potentially a vast reservoir of information that the doc has to involve and consider in order to render the proper medical opinions in the patients best interest.

There was a time when we docs were expected to have all the answers. And there was the time when at least some of us had most of them. But that time is long gone for several reasons. First off back in the early '80's as more and more technical information came about, more and more docs went the specialty route. Of course it became more lucrative. So now these docs know about everything there is to know about a small chunk of medicine. And the generalist, primary care which is more my purpose in medical life, end up knowing just a little about everything in medicine. We are no longer expected to know all the answers.

And my opinion on all this is both negative and positive. Negative for the less rounded docs we now turn out. But positive for patients who actually need the more highly specialized docs' knowledge.

Because in the end a docs job is not like many other jobs. It is not a means to an end. It is a profession devoted to the broad medical care of patients, where the patients' best interests are the endpoint and bottom line.

So we docs would love it as much as anyone to have an easy and true cure for any disease. We will find other things to do with our time.

Old 10-14-2019, 04:38 PM

20,836 posts, read 17,115,957 times
I've worked as an RN for almost as long as Hoonose has been a physician. In that time I've worked with doctors from about 20 different countries in many locations urban and remote.

I can assure you that they work harder than I do...and I work very hard. I can also tell you that in that time I have only met a handful of doctors who did not care about their patient getting better. They struggle with it, they reach out to peers, nurses and pharmacists as they guide a patient and family through crisis. It's a hard job. Comparing an IT job is like comparing the complexity of water to blood.

I don't have any patience for a person who does not understand the truly legendary contribution of medicine and nursing.

Old 10-14-2019, 04:42 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,000,235 times
Quote:
I have not had a common cold or flu in decades as I am my own doctor for the most part. But years before I knew what I know now, I had colds, flu etc. And I don't take their toxic vaccines FOR SURE.

People keep dreaming about cures. Yes, I hear of people going into cancer remissions from the massive drugs they've taken. And enough don't make it. My 55 yr old sil didn't make it. Massive load of toxic drugs.

How many decades have "they" been asking for money for the cure? They don't want to cure.
The car manufacturers have a carburetor that can get gas mileage at 4,000 miles per gallon. Gasoline car (not electrics). But big oil bought up all of the patents. So all are stuck with all of these low MPG cars.

I read that on the internet.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:25 PM

1,203 posts, read 619,316 times
The standard of care does include dietary changes for many diseases. A violation of the standard of care does not mean you will lose your license. For this, remedial education will be required and a fine. You need to do something really bad or have multiple warnings before license forfeiture occurs. For the state board to go after a licensee, someone must have made a complaint. Most complaints go nowhere. The board than must have thought it was serious enough to do something. These complaints are handled on the state level.

Recommending organic versus conventional food when there is no evidence organic is better is not something the board will go after you about. Recommending all supplements and not conventional medicine will be seen as troubling because no evidence is required for supplements

Old 10-14-2019, 06:32 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,550,060 times
"Side effects may include death".

Old 10-14-2019, 06:50 PM

48,537 posts, read 34,891,275 times
For some people, the side effect of peanuts is death.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-14-2019, 06:53 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,773,199 times
And I am a patient of doctors/surgeons who was in the ER due to drug side effects and now use a walker after a botched hip replacement.

So there are many stories out there and many are unable to tell them as they are dead from drug interactions and surgeries. Look up those numbers as they are published BUT of course no accuracy as there could be many more than published.

Go at your OWN RISK. And hope for the best, that's what I've done.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-14-2019 at 07:16 PM..

Old 10-14-2019, 06:58 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,550,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
For some people, the side effect of peanuts is death.

*eyeroll*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies