Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2019, 12:00 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times

Advertisements

Last physical I had I asked the doctor about diet. His terse response;" yeah we're really not trained in that"
Look out for yourself and dont be fooled by the certs on the wall and the white lab coat

Old 10-14-2019, 12:05 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,550,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Last physical I had I asked the doctor about diet. His terse response;" yeah we're really not trained in that"
Look out for yourself and dont be fooled by the certs on the wall and the white lab coat

Of course they're not trained in that. My acquaintance -- the one who lost her license for telling her patients to eat healthier -- told me that they get all of two days of nutritional instruction in medical school.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:10 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Of course they're not trained in that. My acquaintance -- the one who lost her license for telling her patients to eat healthier -- told me that they get all of two days of nutritional instruction in medical school.

Did your acquaintance not do a residency?

A doctor would not lose her license for counseling patients on diet. It is the cornerstone of the treatment of diabetes, hypertension, and lipid disorders.

Just because a doc does not do meal planning with you does not mean he knows nothing about nutrition. Meal planning is what a nutritionist does.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

A doctor would not lose her license for counseling patients on diet. It is the cornerstone of the treatment of diabetes, hypertension, and lipid disorders.

Just because a doc does not do meal planning with you does not mean he knows nothing about nutrition. Meal planning is what a nutritionist does.

Well, I hope you sleep well tonight because of the warm glow you get from telling me I'm a liar in an online forum.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:14 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:

I better warn my GP, because all she does is lecture about diet. /lol

It's weird, I have discussed diet with my GP, Gastro and RA docs.

I find that diet and exercise are the first things brought up for almost EVERY condition.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-14-2019, 12:16 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Well, I hope you sleep well tonight because of the warm glow you get from telling me I'm a liar in an online forum.
I don't think is calling you a liar, but there is obviously more to the story. A doctor cannot lose a license for discussing diet. Now if she withheld needed meds and someone came to harm? Or that happened multiple times? But it is very hard for a doc to lose their license.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-14-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't think is calling you a liar, but there is obviously more to the story. A doctor cannot lose a license for discussing diet. Now if she withheld needed meds and someone came to harm? Or that happened multiple times? But it is very hard for a doc to lose their license.

Ergo I'm lying. Or my acquaintance was lying to me.

Bless your heart!

Old 10-14-2019, 12:28 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
On this - I look at doctors like 1st level tech support who in their spare time might have a really serious specialty in the world of computing. But if you asked that tech support about a specific program you should run to keep your PC healthy, you'd get 1,000 different answers if you asked 1,000 people.

And this isn't directed at your comment, just that your comment got me thinking...

As an IT person married to a nurse, I remark on this similar "you are supposed to know everything I am about to ask about" mentality we both get all the time, when the fact is, for a lot of people in a lot of jobs, they know THEIR thing and not much outside of it. It's my main issue with doctors, because like them, I am expected to know everything under the Sun about ALL technology ever. Sad fact - I don't and neither does any pro, educated, multi-degreed geek like me. I give doctors that same credit. They may indeed have a specific area of practice, but even that makes them 2nd level tech support for that area and 1st level...maybe...for everything else.

That's who we are asking all these medical questions of, and they probably have most of their answers provided by the same place you'd find them - Google.

The only value I place in physical exams is not the doctor's appraisal of the results, but the the process of obtaining test results themselves. I know from Google what good ranges are for the various stuff general practitioners examine, so I get the results, blank out while they explain stuff, then take the results and go on Google to get a clearer understanding. Honestly, if there was a way to simply send my various fluids to Google and get values/readings, and just WebMD all of it, I'd never see a doctor again until a repair was required. I don't fault doctors for this, I simply respect how trivial 1st and 2nd level tech support is.

I don't think the average doctor cares much one way or the other if this disease or that gets cured. They went to a crapload of school, racked up craploads of debt, and now work craploads of hours to pay that back and maybe have a better than average shot at the good life in their 50s-60s. They see patients, do their level best to do right by each one, punch the time clock, go home to the family, lather rinse repeat for the next 30-40 years...just like the rest of us. I am not knocking them at all, I just figure they are like any other profession, running the same kind of rat race without all the nobility and deity-like power we seek to imbue them with.

Old 10-14-2019, 02:06 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Sorry, the story is not plausible. If your acquaintance only had two days of instruction in nutrition I would question the quality of her education. Doctors generally lose their licenses because their ability to practice medicine is sub par, not because they discussed diet with a patient, which is something the vast majority of primary care doctors do anyway, though it is usually via referral to a nutritionist rather than sitting with a patient and making meal plans.

Old 10-14-2019, 02:47 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
Quote:
Sorry, the story is not plausible. If your acquaintance only had two days of instruction in nutrition I would question the quality of her education. Doctors generally lose their licenses because their ability to practice medicine is sub par, not because they discussed diet with a patient, which is something the vast majority of primary care doctors do anyway, though it is usually via referral to a nutritionist rather than sitting with a patient and making meal plans.
Anyone can be a nutritionist, non-dr suzy. You advocate for nutritionists? Interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies