Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2019, 10:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Oh, I agree. First, it is easier to just pop a pill than adhere to a diet. Plus being put on life long medications means repeat customers for doctors.

I can tell you that a good 40 years ago my Dad was put on a DIET for high blood pressure and cholesterol. Did these medications exist then? At any rate unless he wanted to run out all day for fast food, or cook for himself, he HAD to follow this. Mom refused to cook anything that wasn't on his diet. Did it work? YES it did.

People today are addicted to junk food, so just take some pill and eat whatever you want.
40 years ago we didn't have the meds we do today. Your parents were the exceptions, as Suzy brought up. And there are people who really, really try with the diet and exercise and can't get that BP and/or cholesterol down. My friend and I walk together almost every morning, and her cholesterol is much better than mine, and I think I eat better (not that she is "addicted" to junk food). Genetics, it's a bear. Both the doctor and the meds themselves say to modify diet along with the meds.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:04 AM

10,237 posts, read 6,327,985 times
[quote=Katarina Witt;56411355]40 years ago we didn't have the meds we do today. Your parents were the exceptions, as Suzy brought up. And there are people who really, really try with the diet and exercise and can't get that BP and/or cholesterol down. My friend and I walk together almost every morning, and her cholesterol is much better than mine, and I think I eat better. Genetics, it's a bear.[/QUOTE

Talk to my husband, TODAY. He thinks he can eat whatever he wants to because his pills, and his pacemaker, will save him. If nothing else, his medications aren't going to keep him from becoming OBESE. which he is now borderline. Far too many people today rely on medications to cure all their ills. Will they, Katrina? Do you disagree that you are what you eat?

We have a entire thread on here about Why are Americans Fat? Hurry up and invent a medication to prevent that, and all the illness that comes with it.

Edit: I do not have a genetic history of this. Neither does my husband. It was what my Dad and my Husband were EATING. Yes, different times, but my Dad ONLY had to rely on Diet for a cure. Husband can just pop pills today.

Last edited by Jo48; 10-15-2019 at 11:18 AM..

Old 10-15-2019, 11:21 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
On the pill popping, I pop supplements and a powerful one I pop does so so much for me and I'm probably the oldest one around here....it even reduces effects of diabetes. Grape Seed Extract and going into my 25 yr of taking it.

Got rid of allergies
No colds, flu, headaches
Healthy Gums
Healthy Eyes
Good Hearing
And May Prevent Cancers

My bane of health condition is a botched hip replacement, living with so many complications from that job that was supposed to make me better.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
[quote=Jo48;56411424]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
40 years ago we didn't have the meds we do today. Your parents were the exceptions, as Suzy brought up. And there are people who really, really try with the diet and exercise and can't get that BP and/or cholesterol down. My friend and I walk together almost every morning, and her cholesterol is much better than mine, and I think I eat better. Genetics, it's a bear.[/QUOTE

Talk to my husband, TODAY. He thinks he can eat whatever he wants to because his pills, and his pacemaker, will save him. If nothing else, his medications aren't going to keep him from becoming OBESE. which he is now borderline. Far too many people today rely on medications to cure all their ills. Will they, Katrina? Do you disagree that you are what you eat?

We have a entire thread on here about Why are Americans Fat? Hurry up and invent a medication to prevent that, and all the illness that comes with it.

Edit: I do not have a genetic history of this. Neither does my husband. It was what my Dad and my Husband were EATING. Yes, different times, but my Dad ONLY had to rely on Diet for a cure. Husband can just pop pills today.
Learn to format.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:33 PM

1,203 posts, read 619,145 times
Diet does nothing to help prevent type 1 diabetes mellitus. It's an autoimmune disorder. Proper treatment does include a diet.

The only treatment for diabetes insipidus is desmopressin. Diet won't help you if you can't concentrate your urine.

Diet is one of many factors which can cause type 2 diabetes mellitus. Certain ethnic groups are at much higher risk.

Just be careful when looking at cholesterol levels. Never look at total cholesterol. You need to look at hdl and ldl numbers. A person with high hdl and low ldl on paper could look like they have high cholesterol when they don't.

Old 10-15-2019, 03:43 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And I've asked this so many times and no answer...
That's because you don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:
WHY can't so many of these drugs be produced with LESS chemicals or other ingredients that can and often do so much damage?
Your understanding of human physiology is so poor I'm not sure you'll get it, but it's called "delivery."

The human body does not process every chemical you ingest. There's a reason why that's so, and I won't waste time trying to explain something you'll never understand.

Those chemicals will pass directly through your body in urine or feces in less than 24 hours without doing anything and many will pass in 2-4 hours.

To prevent that from happening, a big brain might conclude that binding the chemical with another chemical that the body does readily absorb will solve that problem.

From our research, we already know what chemicals will remain in the human body for 24+ hours before being eliminated, so we bind our target chemical to that chemical so it stays in the human body for 24 hours instead of being eliminated through urine or feces in 2-4 hours.

That becomes problematic when we need to target certain specific organs like the liver, brain, heart, lungs, bones, kidneys or pancreas.

We know Calcium is readily absorbed by bones, but what if you cannot bind your chemical to Calcium?

There's Strontium. Strontium mimics Calcium. When I say "mimic" I mean the outer valence electrons of Calcium and Strontium are in the same configuration.

That's a problem because the fission of Uranium-235 produces radioactive isotopes of Strontium which are absorbed by grasses and certain plants, and then cows eat the grasses and the Strontium-90 is in the milk which you drink and now the radioactive isotope of Strontium-90 is your bones and you risk cancer.

It's called "science." You should look into it.

Getting chemicals to the brain is very difficult. Getting chemicals to the liver is easier, but you're very limited in the chemicals you can use to get your target chemical to the liver where it can do the most good.

That's why the active ingredient in any drug is bound to other chemicals, to ensure it stays in the body and to get it where it needs to be where it will do the most good.

Old 10-15-2019, 04:03 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
It's a huge game that has been going on for decades.

There was talking about "curing" the common cold when I was a kid.

And forget that "run for cancer cures". Cancer is mega business.

My sister counted on mega $1000's in drugs to slow down the MS she is challenged with, she is
totally worse and has so declined.

It's NOT in the Industry's best interests to CURE AND HEAL. They have to answer to stockholders, major pharma companies....

Keep developing drugs to keep more bandaids going, keep patients coming back.

And Keep THEM all employed.

A game they play and MOST fall for it.

Pharma Industry isn't the only game in town, but a huge one.
You are incorrect, but will likely not come to that conclusion at this stage of your life (based on this thread).

Here is hoping you stay healthy.

`

Old 10-15-2019, 04:11 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
You are incorrect, but will likely not come to that conclusion at this stage of your life (based on this thread).

Here is hoping you stay healthy.

`
You talk like you know me. So are you saying by your comments I need to be taking pharma drugs to be healthy? My stage of my life is 81 and doing pretty damn good as many my age are drugged out of their minds with toxic drugs in assisted living homes with dementia!!!!!! This what I read from many around this forum. Especially in the caregivers and who knows what truths are spoken on this media. I know what I speak and there are plenty who feel as I do. Did you read any other posts?

Old 10-15-2019, 05:56 PM

1,203 posts, read 619,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's because you don't know what you're talking about.

Your understanding of human physiology is so poor I'm not sure you'll get it, but it's called "delivery."

The human body does not process every chemical you ingest. There's a reason why that's so, and I won't waste time trying to explain something you'll never understand.

Those chemicals will pass directly through your body in urine or feces in less than 24 hours without doing anything and many will pass in 2-4 hours.

To prevent that from happening, a big brain might conclude that binding the chemical with another chemical that the body does readily absorb will solve that problem.

From our research, we already know what chemicals will remain in the human body for 24+ hours before being eliminated, so we bind our target chemical to that chemical so it stays in the human body for 24 hours instead of being eliminated through urine or feces in 2-4 hours.

That becomes problematic when we need to target certain specific organs like the liver, brain, heart, lungs, bones, kidneys or pancreas.

We know Calcium is readily absorbed by bones, but what if you cannot bind your chemical to Calcium?

There's Strontium. Strontium mimics Calcium. When I say "mimic" I mean the outer valence electrons of Calcium and Strontium are in the same configuration.

That's a problem because the fission of Uranium-235 produces radioactive isotopes of Strontium which are absorbed by grasses and certain plants, and then cows eat the grasses and the Strontium-90 is in the milk which you drink and now the radioactive isotope of Strontium-90 is your bones and you risk cancer.

It's called "science." You should look into it.

Getting chemicals to the brain is very difficult. Getting chemicals to the liver is easier, but you're very limited in the chemicals you can use to get your target chemical to the liver where it can do the most good.

That's why the active ingredient in any drug is bound to other chemicals, to ensure it stays in the body and to get it where it needs to be where it will do the most good.
The amount of time for a particular medication to leave the body varies greatly. The exact mechanism or mechanisms can depend on your genetics. This area of study is called pharmacokinetics and it looks into the absorption, distribution, metabolism and excredtion of drug. The amount of time it takes for the drug to completely clear the body is estimated at five times the half life.

Getting a drug through the blood brain can be tricky. Look at carbidopa/levodopa (Sinemet). The entire point of the carbidopa is to get levodopa into the brain without it being destroyed.

To cure a disease, you need to know the true cause. A lot of diseases, we don't know.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:23 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
You talk like you know me. So are you saying by your comments I need to be taking pharma drugs to be healthy? My stage of my life is 81 and doing pretty damn good as many my age are drugged out of their minds with toxic drugs in assisted living homes with dementia!!!!!! This what I read from many around this forum. Especially in the caregivers and who knows what truths are spoken on this media. I know what I speak and there are plenty who feel as I do. Did you read any other posts?
I believe the medical industry is corrupted by profit motive. The health and well being of patients is not really the industry's concern, that's just what they need healthcare users to believe and what providers might even tell themselves to feel good about themselves when they should know better.

It's not just the prescribing so many pharmaceuticals, which generally just treat the symptoms of a disorder, with little evidence of improving health or increasing life span, not to mention side effects sometimes worse than the original problem and as serious as permanent damage and even sometimes death. It's also surgical procedures that are invasive, risky, and often damaging and disabling. All done to maximize medical billing and profits.

If the industry wasn't so focused on generating high income, and treated patients conservatively and minimally -invasively, then it would be doing a lot more good and benefiting patients more than harming them. But that won't maximizes income.

My mother recently died in the hospital following a procedure that I didn't believe beforehand was necessary, a good idea or beneficial. I was rushed, pressured and worst of all mislead and lied to about the procedure. Medical providers are relentless and merciless about maximizing medical billing, and after the damage is done they have no problem washing their hands of it. They do not want to honor wishes to be treated conservatively and minimally invasively and will resort to just about any tactic to get their way and maximize medical billing. I'm pretty bitter and regretful about the whole matter.

That's pretty much the story with everything though. Everything that is done in America, from politics to goods and services, is about maximizing income/profit and people's well being is not even an afterthought. It never changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies