Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2019, 11:11 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Yup. I paid as well for the privilege of coverage if I had a catastrophic illness. Which I didn't. Until I did. I'm really grateful that I had, and still have, the coverage I pay for. Heart attacks and rehab aren't cheap.
You're welcome.

No one will pay me back, though.

Old 10-12-2019, 11:24 AM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I think this concept is going way over your head. That specific example of hep C used by the FINANCIAL firm is WHY they are looking at other ways to make money. They do not want that kind of loss again. They want areas where they have GUARANTEED MONEY coming in.

And guaranteed money means no decrease in patients so no decrease in profits. Which means no cure. Because cures = decrease in patients and decrease in profits. Like with hep C drugs. That $58 billion? It's not enough to THEM. They want more more more. They made the *mistake* of having a drug that makes itself obsolete.

Which is the perfect example of the premise of this thread.
$58 billion is a loss?

Quote:
Placebos work across the board for any and all supplements AND medications. It's not exclusive to nonpharma. No matter how many times you play that card, you're still wrong, non dr suzy.
That is what I said. Placebos work. I even provided a link describing some interesting work on how they do it. It's clear you did not read it.

My objection, as I clearly stated, is the refusal of the makers of homeopathic products to admit they are placebos and the prices they charge for what is either water or sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
if cures were available Steve Jobs would be alive.
If he had not gone down the alt med rabbit hole he might have been cured when his cancer was discovered in a very early stage by serendipity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
All created without billions in profits being made....although some cashed in on AIDS after the "good people" (French and others) did the work for free.

That's the real point here. Not that modern medicine is bad, but that the system which uses it to prey upon people IS bad. Specifically, the US System of many billionaires being minted from administration and stuff like that. The bigger reward in the USA is for money spent, not for wellness.

Humans always go for the gold and the Gold is what Rick Scott has (100s of millions and the ability to buy office in government, etc.).
Are you really comparing the average practicing physician to Scott and Frist? It sounds like you are.

How many are "many" billionaires?

Quote:
and deductibles.

I pay for the privilege of coverage IF I have a catastrophic illness. Which I don't. The insurers steal from every single year. I pay them for the privilege of billing me.
Protection from catastrophic illness should be the function of health insurance. It is the first dollar coverage (demanded by patients) that make it more expensive.

Old 10-12-2019, 11:25 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,879,539 times
I haven't read through this thread, but as far as pharmaceuticals are concerned, I'd venture to guess that many people are overmedicated in this country.

My mother is in hospice for heart and kidney failure right now. When she was in the hospital a month ago she was near death. She could no longer even sit up in bed she was so weak. She stopped eating for three days and we thought we were saying goodbye to her.

She was on at least 10 meds daily, sometimes more, and had been for years, but decided she was through with them all and refused all medications while in the hospital at that point. She came home in hospice to die.

From the moment she took herself off all the pharmaceuticals she rebounded. Her kidneys are working and she has regained enough energy to get out of bed, play cards, write letters and receive visitors, all things she was unable to do before making that decision. Her appetite returned with a vengeance and she has been enjoying her favorite foods again. The quality of her life improved 100 percent.

She is still in heart failure, and there is no fixing that, but the fact that she felt immediately better once she stopped being overmedicated is something that needs to be acknowledged. We as a population are being overprescribed to serve the bottom lines of the big pharma industry. That is something that needs to be investigated.

Old 10-12-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
$58 billion is a loss?
It's NOT enough. Which is why they are looking to NOT make that same type of drug AGAIN. Because now the the profit is much, much lower. And they do not LIKE that.

I don't know how it can be stated any clearer. Reread it in the context of the thread title. If you are still not able to understand, I really don't know what to say. It's a simple concept, and everyone else on the thread gets it even if they don't agree. /shrug/

Old 10-12-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Protection from catastrophic illness should be the function of health insurance. It is the first dollar coverage (demanded by patients) that make it more expensive.
Let me know of a low cost premium that allows for only catastrophic coverage. A friend had it about 10 years ago for about $39/mo. Know any health insurance policies you can get for $39/mo? Didn't think so.

Old 10-12-2019, 12:07 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
$58 billion is a loss? :think
Are you really comparing the average practicing physician to Scott and Frist? It sounds like you are.

How many are "many" billionaires?

So, our medical system cost double what others do....and covers fewer....because? No, it's not because of first dollar since no one I know has had anything near that for many decades.

Any way you look at it it cost 11K per person per year in this country. That money goes somewhere. You and I know it doesn't go to the GP, who these days is often just part of a giant "group" that is run as a business by a corporate venture. Doctors are as abused by the system as much as anyone else. At first Docs thought they had importance....in the new system. Now they know they are just take it or leave it like the rest of us.

There should not be a single Billionaire in our health care system. There should not be people, like Scott, who makes 100's of millions. There should not be MANY Billions used for marketing and bribes to make us all suck in more dangerous and questionable procedures and drugs.

People should make a living - sometimes a very good living. Period. As it stands our system is closer to the guy who loads up a trailer with generators from Home Depot and drives to where a Hurricane hits. Predatory abuse.

The proof is in the pudding. No need to even debate it. We spend double and yet our life spans are decreasing. Trillions speak much louder than any talking point you can come up with.

Just Frists - Net worth: $12.4 billion - that's quite a nice chunk right there. It comes out of your pocket. Did he discover some miracle cure? Did Rick Scott or the guy he replaced (retired with a billion) create anything? Yes, they created a giant fraud that paid the biggest fines in history. All paid for by consumers and taxpayers.

Old 10-12-2019, 12:22 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
It's NOT enough. Which is why they are looking to NOT make that same type of drug AGAIN. Because now the the profit is much, much lower. And they do not LIKE that.

I don't know how it can be stated any clearer. Reread it in the context of the thread title. If you are still not able to understand, I really don't know what to say. It's a simple concept, and everyone else on the thread gets it even if they don't agree. /shrug/
I fully understand. Gilead made a drug that produced $58 billion in revenue with more to come. That is not a "loss", no matter how you (and the author of the article) try to spin it.

Quote:
Let me know of a low cost premium that allows for only catastrophic coverage. A friend had it about 10 years ago for about $39/mo. Know any health insurance policies you can get for $39/mo? Didn't think so.
Maybe not $39/mo but see here:

https://www.healthcare.gov/choose-a-...-health-plans/

And here:

https://www.insurance.com/health-ins...insurance.aspx

Finding premiums is bit tricky, but see here:

https://www.valuepenguin.com/catastr...alth-insurance

"For example, in North Carolina, the cheapest health insurance plan is the Blue Value Catastrophic plan. This health insurance plan has an annual deductible of $7,900 and an out-of-pocket maximum of $7,900 as well. The cost of this catastrophic health insurance plan for a 40-year-old male would be a minimum of $231.32 per month."

Note that a Health Savings Account can lower costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
So, our medical system cost double what others do....and covers fewer....because? No, it's not because of first dollar since no one I know has had anything near that for many decades.

Any way you look at it it cost 11K per person per year in this country. That money goes somewhere. You and I know it doesn't go to the GP, who these days is often just part of a giant "group" that is run as a business by a corporate venture. Doctors are as abused by the system as much as anyone else. At first Docs thought they had importance....in the new system. Now they know they are just take it or leave it like the rest of us.

There should not be a single Billionaire in our health care system. There should not be people, like Scott, who makes 100's of millions. There should not be MANY Billions used for marketing and bribes to make us all suck in more dangerous and questionable procedures and drugs.

People should make a living - sometimes a very good living. Period. As it stands our system is closer to the guy who loads up a trailer with generators from Home Depot and drives to where a Hurricane hits. Predatory abuse.

The proof is in the pudding. No need to even debate it. We spend double and yet our life spans are decreasing. Trillions speak much louder than any talking point you can come up with.

Just Frists - Net worth: $12.4 billion - that's quite a nice chunk right there. It comes out of your pocket. Did he discover some miracle cure? Did Rick Scott or the guy he replaced (retired with a billion) create anything? Yes, they created a giant fraud that paid the biggest fines in history. All paid for by consumers and taxpayers.
The current insurance model is overwhelmingly geared toward first dollar coverage: outpatient visits and medications.

You are still hyping outliers as typical physicians.

I do not like the advertising either. I do not like direct to consumer advertising. I do not think hospitals and physicians should advertise. I am old enough to remember when they did not.

However, all of that came about under the theory that doctors and hospitals should have to compete with one another, because competition would lower prices. I am not an economist but I never bought that argument. All those billboards have to be paid for. People who need medical care have a limited opportunity to comparison shop, especially in an emergency. The best they can do there is compare local hospitals before there is a need for one.

Perhaps we should insist that a hospital administrator salaries be capped and insurance company CEOs not be paid exorbitant sums. I could go with that.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 10-12-2019 at 12:37 PM..

Old 10-12-2019, 12:34 PM

18,805 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I haven't read through this thread, but as far as pharmaceuticals are concerned, I'd venture to guess that many people are overmedicated in this country.

My mother is in hospice for heart and kidney failure right now. When she was in the hospital a month ago she was near death. She could no longer even sit up in bed she was so weak. She stopped eating for three days and we thought we were saying goodbye to her.

She was on at least 10 meds daily, sometimes more, and had been for years, but decided she was through with them all and refused all medications while in the hospital at that point. She came home in hospice to die.

From the moment she took herself off all the pharmaceuticals she rebounded. Her kidneys are working and she has regained enough energy to get out of bed, play cards, write letters and receive visitors, all things she was unable to do before making that decision. Her appetite returned with a vengeance and she has been enjoying her favorite foods again. The quality of her life improved 100 percent.

She is still in heart failure, and there is no fixing that, but the fact that she felt immediately better once she stopped being overmedicated is something that needs to be acknowledged. We as a population are being overprescribed to serve the bottom lines of the big pharma industry. That is something that needs to be investigated.
In most all cases of over or inappropriate medication it is the doc(s). Pharma has little to do with less than ideal HC delivery.

There are many meds to improve on heart failure. If a hospice patient would rather do without, that should be fine with all concerned then. But I'd bet in your Mother's case she was one an ACE inhibitor and/or diuretic and both can make the kidneys worse. At least on paper and usually reversible.

One major problem I see today in primary care is that since so many patients now have multiple docs, that in many cases they are on too many meds, sometimes conflicting meds and duplicate meds are prescribed.

Old 10-12-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I fully understand. Gilead made a drug that produced $58 billion in revenue with more to come. That is not a "loss", no matter how you (and the author of the article) try to spin it..
They were quoting the financial firm that did the analysis. There was no spin. You really don't understand. /shrug/ NMP.

Old 10-12-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I f
Maybe not $39/mo but see here:

"For example, in North Carolina, the cheapest health insurance plan is the Blue Value Catastrophic plan. This health insurance plan has an annual deductible of $7,900 and an out-of-pocket maximum of $7,900 as well. The cost of this catastrophic health insurance plan for a 40-year-old male would be a minimum of $231.32 per month."
So you think $39/mo is the the same as a MINIMUM of $231/mo? I guess that's common core math?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies