Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2019, 11:02 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,773,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Look at the loss of jobs if they found a cure for any major disease.
Just cancer alone, Huge profit money making business. And all the research and fund raising for 50 yrs or how long it's been going on. I have been taking a powerful antioxidant we were told MAY prevent cancers for going on 25 yrs and so far I'm good. You think an allopathic will tell their patients to take antioxidants. Hardly....

Old 10-11-2019, 11:04 AM

18,805 posts, read 8,481,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Breakthrough cures will need to come from academia, since pharmaceutical companies don't have the right motivation. Perhaps a tax on pharmaceutical profits is needed to fund academic research on actual cures?
Sure they do. For instance CAR-T therapy for certain cancer cures. My wife was a potential candidate 2018, and the cost was $327K as I best recall.

https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAc&uact=5

Old 10-11-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Just cancer alone, Huge profit money making business. And all the research and fund raising for 50 yrs or how long it's been going on. I have been taking a powerful antioxidant we were told MAY prevent cancers for going on 25 yrs and so far I'm good. You think an allopathic will tell their patients to take antioxidants. Hardly....
So far anti-oxidants have not shown to be consistently useful. Some actually proven to be detrimental. My wife used to get Prevention magazine...

Old 10-11-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
False positives mean more testing, more biopsies, and even treatment. For a woman who has NO disease.
Note the 50-60% rate of false positives. Half of all women who get a mammon's for 10 years will have 1 that is false positive. That is a significant statistic.

The chance of having a false positive result after 1 mammogram ranges from 7-12 percent, depending on your age (younger women are more likely to have a false positive results) [23]. After 10 yearly mammograms, the chance of having a false positive is about 50-60 percent [28-30].

https://ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/A...ammograms.html
from Susan G Komen website
Mammos are tough to interpret and we do get significant false positives. After almost 50 years I don't recall any patient having a breast removed and no cancer found. I also couldn't add up all the lives saved or extended through conventional and appropriate medical and surgical care of their cancer.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:27 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,956,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Mammos are tough to interpret and we do get significant false positives. After almost 50 years I don't recall any patient having a breast removed and no cancer found. I also couldn't add up all the lives saved or extended through conventional and appropriate medical and surgical care of their cancer.
Why haven't they spent the money developing a more accurate mammogram with all the focus own breast cancer?

It's a rhetorical question.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:29 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,625,539 times
Quote:
My dad takes antioxidants and has for a while. Just a month ago he was diagnosed with cancer. I know that is anecdotal but I think it needs to be pointed out.

As someone else pointed out, antioxidants have been shown to be detrimental in some cases rather than helpful.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
My dad takes antioxidants and has for a while. Just a month ago he was diagnosed with cancer. I know that is anecdotal but I think it needs to be pointed out.

As someone else pointed out, antioxidants have been shown to be detrimental in some cases rather than helpful.
They are working in my life at 81 and did he take Pycnogenol or Grape Seed Extract, these are the ones with the power. That's what we were told when they came into the U.S. from France over 25 yrs ago.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:13 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
Quote:
A telling example is the Right Wing Cancer Centers of America. They are one of the biggest for-profit donors to "the cause" (political) and spend massive amounts on advertising to give people false hope....false meaning over and above what is known medical science. They give big to Rick Scott, Trump and whoever advances the cause of more profits from pain.

Heck, the President of the Senate under GWB - First - his family owned the Billion dollar HCA. Does anyone think this is all happenstance? No way! Rick Scott, who paid the biggest medical fraud fines in US history, just didn't "happen" to become Gov. and Senator. The same money - ripped off from US - paid for him to be.

Of course, Rick Scott is a lead character.

This speaks to why we need true health care reform and the idea of it as a human right. If clean air was not a human right we couldn't pursue policies that make it cleaner. In health care there is no such laws...

Old 10-11-2019, 12:20 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Why haven't they spent the money developing a more accurate mammogram with all the focus own breast cancer?

It's a rhetorical question.
Because it's not good science. DNA tests and blood tests in the pipeline or already existing will be better science.

Another example is PSA tests and digital exams. A friend of mine works for a biotech firm that developed a vastly more accurate test for aggressive prostate cancer (which is really the only form to be concerned about)....it's available now.

But it takes a long time for these new things to get through the pipeline. My doc is top notch yet I know a lot more than he does about particular things (like that new test) because a GP has to be a generalist and can't spend their days researching a single subject.

But you are correct in this sense. Once docs and hospitals are accustomed to the income stream from Mammograms or colon scopes, etc....they push them big time. Notice how it went from getting a colon scope once...now, I get postcards every couple of years (which I disregard).

I did my research and it turns out taking the non-invasive tests - one you can even buy on Amazon - are really just as good once you'd have one or two of the scopes done at 50-65.

But one cannot expect every consumer to be educated in the knowledge that would fill tens of thousand of books. This is why regulation is needed. If we (plural) are putting 20 billion into certain tests that either don't work better than placebo (or no test) we need to stop. But the existing system would say "full speed ahead" due to the need of for-profits to pull in cash.

Old 10-11-2019, 01:12 PM

This just showed up on the Fear Trolls from Pharma et al...I do NOT do vaccines but the Fear instilled in the people to do them, omg.

https://www.greenmedinfo.health/blog...rds-genocide-1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies