Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2019, 12:43 PM

37,120 posts, read 41,299,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
They were quoting the financial firm that did the analysis. There was no spin. You really don't understand. /shrug/ NMP.
I quoted another that pointed out the fallacy in the one you want to believe. Have at it. Gilead is not going to stop making the drug because revenue will only be $4 billion per year.

Old 10-12-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
So you think $39/mo is the the same as a MINIMUM of $231/mo? I guess that's common core math?
Look, that is only one example. The fact is that catastrophic coverage is still available and the premiums are lower for it. The actual premium will vary with the age of the purchaser, so there will be lower premiums than $231 per month. If you want to know the premium you usually have to fill out an application. If you are really interested, you could also contact a health insurance broker.

Old 10-12-2019, 12:56 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Perhaps we should insist that a hospital administrator salaries be capped and insurance company CEOs not be paid exorbitant sums. I could go with that.
The ACA caps admin costs at something like 15% - we've had that in MA for even longer and I get checks back each year.

It used to be, when America was "great" that most Hospitals were true non-profits. Not any longer. Whether the money goes to a CEO or to 2 million stockholders isn't really the issue - the bottom line is that all that money is taken from the consumer....and, in reality, that means millions of people get no coverage or go bankrupt, etc.

Patient "choice" is a ridiculous scheme...when it comes to many issues. Bad science should simply not be allowed to enter our medical system, even if "patients want it". They may want it because billions were spent on marketing it.

I still don't buy the "first dollar" thing in any sense other than perhaps the high admin. cost of accounting for small amounts of money paid. The benefits of preventative care are long since proven and having "included" low cost services goes a lot further than waiting for the ER visit. Our system in MA. has given all of the public preventative care for many years now.

There are too many competing interests...when Romney or other Venture Capitalists of Hedge Funds buy these life sciences companies they want a RETURN. It's really as simple as that. If their "cure" or treatment is 1% more effective then the placebo or common solution yet costs 8X as much, they think that is fine and dandy.

Again, we can debate forever but one cannot explain away how we pay double for less. One cannot explain away the Opiate Crisis, which we have not nearly seen play out yet. Actings as if billions or hundreds of millions is rare is disproven just by the Opiate peddlers. The Sackers sell only a very tiny percentages of all opiates in this country yet they - just their family - is reported to have 10 Billion or so. That's in addition to all the tens of billions the big distributors and other companies have gotten from Pill Mills.

It's always a matter of what you pay people to do. A research scientist working in big Pharma might make 250K per year. If they discover something really good they might win a prize...a plaque or something. But if you are an Opiate Manufacturer and you KNOW that tens of millions of your pills are going out the back door (that is, ending up in a small town in WV), you just smile and pat your reps on the back because of how good the sales chart looks. AND, those opiate sales people make a LOT more than the best Researcher on the planet.

Most of this is quite simple. Capitalism - of the predatory and lightly regulated type - simply does not work in this instance. It might work well for the Apple farm of the furniture maker, but when you are selling suffering or pleasure (or avoidance of suffering) to those in pain and danger we simply cannot use the same metrics as we do for selling toys.

Old 10-12-2019, 01:00 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,956,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I quoted another that pointed out the fallacy in the one you want to believe. Have at it. Gilead is not going to stop making the drug because revenue will only be $4 billion per year.
Where did anyone say they would stop making the drug? I don't believe that you read the article at all. If you did, you 100% missed the point of it. And quite frankly, it's a short, simple article ... so ...

Old 10-12-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The ACA caps admin costs at something like 15% - we've had that in MA for even longer and I get checks back each year.

It used to be, when America was "great" that most Hospitals were true non-profits. Not any longer. Whether the money goes to a CEO or to 2 million stockholders isn't really the issue - the bottom line is that all that money is taken from the consumer....and, in reality, that means millions of people get no coverage or go bankrupt, etc.

Patient "choice" is a ridiculous scheme...when it comes to many issues. Bad science should simply not be allowed to enter our medical system, even if "patients want it". They may want it because billions were spent on marketing it.

I still don't buy the "first dollar" thing in any sense other than perhaps the high admin. cost of accounting for small amounts of money paid. The benefits of preventative care are long since proven and having "included" low cost services goes a lot further than waiting for the ER visit. Our system in MA. has given all of the public preventative care for many years now.

There are too many competing interests...when Romney or other Venture Capitalists of Hedge Funds buy these life sciences companies they want a RETURN. It's really as simple as that. If their "cure" or treatment is 1% more effective then the placebo or common solution yet costs 8X as much, they think that is fine and dandy.

Again, we can debate forever but one cannot explain away how we pay double for less. One cannot explain away the Opiate Crisis, which we have not nearly seen play out yet. Actings as if billions or hundreds of millions is rare is disproven just by the Opiate peddlers. The Sackers sell only a very tiny percentages of all opiates in this country yet they - just their family - is reported to have 10 Billion or so. That's in addition to all the tens of billions the big distributors and other companies have gotten from Pill Mills.

It's always a matter of what you pay people to do. A research scientist working in big Pharma might make 250K per year. If they discover something really good they might win a prize...a plaque or something. But if you are an Opiate Manufacturer and you KNOW that tens of millions of your pills are going out the back door (that is, ending up in a small town in WV), you just smile and pat your reps on the back because of how good the sales chart looks. AND, those opiate sales people make a LOT more than the best Researcher on the planet.

Most of this is quite simple. Capitalism - of the predatory and lightly regulated type - simply does not work in this instance. It might work well for the Apple farm of the furniture maker, but when you are selling suffering or pleasure (or avoidance of suffering) to those in pain and danger we simply cannot use the same metrics as we do for selling toys.
"Non-profits" still have to make money in order to stay in business, so that argument fails. They still have to make enough to cover expenses and set aside reserves for future major expenses like equipment upgrades and expansion of facilities.

How do you think that preventative care you are given in MA is paid for? That is first dollar care, with the incentive that people will hopefully avail themselves of it.

I have already said that the idea of having docs and hospitals advertise so they can "compete" with one another is flawed.

As far as the "opiate crisis" is concerned, I do not buy the idea that doctors were misled on the risks (I think few would think that any opioid was abuse proof) and I think that patients have a responsibility in the mess, too.

Old 10-12-2019, 01:40 PM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
Quote:
You're welcome.

No one will pay me back, though.
Oh, sorry. I misunderstood the nature of the insurance you pay for. I pay over $200 monthly for my FEHB insurance plus I have to pay my monthly Medicare premiums, so no refunds for you. I already pay more than enough.

Old 10-12-2019, 02:06 PM

20,836 posts, read 17,115,957 times
The discoveries of medical therapies have saved so many millions of lives, prevented horrible deaths and cured blindness and other illnesses. SMALLPOX, POLIO, HIV, BLINDNESS, RIVER FEVER and so many more.

People make profits, they should. they take the gazillion $$ risks.

And there's something else called the "orphan drug".

Crohns Disease is a terrible illness, painful requires surgery to remove intestines and holds people prisoners to pain. So here's the story for all you radically under informed savants. The DHHS under a provision of the USA spoke with the people at Johnson and Johnson about developing a cure. JandJ got busy. They created Centocor which over many years produced a medication through biotechnology purified and trialed in Europe for 10 years. Those studies revealed startling success. Infliximab came to the US and was given to patients with Crohns. When it worked it worked well. It was extended to Rheumatoid Arthritis and the effects were dramatic. People in wheelchairs walked, people with bent fingers were able to write again. Over 20 years Infliximab has sisters Enbrel, Humira and many more.

It became a magnificent success all over the world. Altruistic, compassionate, honorable and smart as heck helped Millions and millions of people are able to receive these medications. An absolute win given a chance by the US government and a Pharmaceutical company who likes scientific challenges.

Did they make money? I would sure hope so.

Next time you say "Big Pharma' with a derogatory lisp on your lips....you may want to remember the true good is done by them.

Old 10-12-2019, 11:53 PM

1,500 posts, read 887,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
A friend has come down with asthma from a surgery or auto accident she was involved in. She takes drugs and very allergic and takes meds and has done her share of prednisone, but since taking grape seed extract for probably 7 yrs she is so improved. Her weezing is so much less.

Glad you like your vaccines, you can have my share, none for me in over 25 yrs.
Just wondering how your friend got asthma from a surgery or auto accident

Old 10-13-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
You do NOT know it all.
Either
Do youagain

Sternum injuries do not cause asthma..

Old 10-13-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Because I take my supps I don't go for those mega amounts of High Priced Tests pushed/sold by Pharma;

mammograms (had 2 in my 50"s)
colonoscopies (never)
MRI's (had 1 after hip replacement mess)
CT scans (never)
xrays (had a few in my long life)
Bone Density (had 1)

I know they give them to the public for free.

I don't buy my supps at walmart, and costco, I'd guess they are cheapest kind found.

Who says the supplement world SHOULD not make money?

Yes, I take a couple meds and wish I didn't have to. Went for 10 miserable years with a sluggish thyroid and slapped with 10 yrs of anti depressant drugs as the MD's and endos lived by their numbers, not symptoms.

Blood pressure meds, yes, and boy I tried for years to not get on these lifelong drugs.

I know of Kevin Trudeau, and he exposed a lot to the people who's heads are in the sand.
He also went to prison for his falsehoods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies