Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2019, 04:50 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times

Advertisements

The most ironic accusation about the pharmaceutical industry only being interested in money is ignoring the massive profits of the homeopathic/supplement industry .
I looked up this HGH...long article/discussion in which one researcher discovered less than a $2 to make that $80 a month supposed HGH product.
The MLM marketing scheme should say enough about it.

Old 10-12-2019, 05:10 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,956,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What about the $58 billion Gilead made on hep C drugs since 2013?

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/...n-blunder.aspx

"Remember, too, that Gilead's HCV drugs continue to make a lot of money. Although sales have steadily declined over the last three years, Gilead expects HCV revenue to stabilize going forward. The biotech's HCV franchise should generate close to $4 billion annually for years to come."

There are still people to cure at $4 billion per year. A lower profit is not the same as a loss. If they had not developed those drugs that is $58 billion never made and no $4 billion per year going forward.
I think this concept is going way over your head. That specific example of hep C used by the FINANCIAL firm is WHY they are looking at other ways to make money. They do not want that kind of loss again. They want areas where they have GUARANTEED MONEY coming in.

And guaranteed money means no decrease in patients so no decrease in profits. Which means no cure. Because cures = decrease in patients and decrease in profits. Like with hep C drugs. That $58 billion? It's not enough to THEM. They want more more more. They made the *mistake* of having a drug that makes itself obsolete.

Which is the perfect example of the premise of this thread.

Last edited by newtovenice; 10-12-2019 at 05:33 AM..

Old 10-12-2019, 05:13 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,956,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Ah, but you know they are placebos. The problem is the homeopathy folks insist their products are not placebos and charge an enormous amount for them.

Placebos can indeed make people feel better (that's why they are used in clinical trials). The physiology has even been studied.

https://www.cell.com/action/showPdf?...2814%2900921-0
Placebos work across the board for any and all supplements AND medications. It's not exclusive to nonpharma. No matter how many times you play that card, you're still wrong, non dr suzy.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:28 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,924,893 times
The medical industry is great. Millions are cured every year of various diseases. Ever hear of polio, small pox, Aids?

Old 10-12-2019, 08:00 AM

20,122 posts, read 9,036,439 times
if cures were available Steve Jobs would be alive.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:04 AM

10,237 posts, read 6,327,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Salk was a good man and developed a miraculous product at my university, but he was no saint.

"As pointed out by Robert Cook-Deegan at Duke University, “When Jonas Salk asked rhetorically “Would you patent the sun?” during his famous television interview with Edward R. Murrow, he did not mention that the lawyers from the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis had looked into patenting the Salk Vaccine and concluded that it could not be patented because of prior art – that it would not be considered a patentable invention by standards of the day. Salk implied that the decision was a moral one, but Jane Smith, in her history of the Salk Vaccine, Patenting the Sun, notes that whether or not Salk himself believed what he said to Murrow, the idea of patenting the vaccine had been directly analyzed and the decision was made not to apply for a patent mainly because it would not result in one. We will never know whether the National Foundation on Infantile Paralysis or the University of Pittsburgh would have patented the vaccine if they could, but the simple moral interpretation often applied to this case is simply wrong.” "
https://www.biotech-now.org/public-p...-in-the-making

Ah, opiates. For most of my career in nursing, doctors and other health care providers were accused of not treating pain adequately. Those who expressed concern about addiction were ridiculed and criticized. That all changed about 20 years ago. And I don't think some will ever quit looking for a decent pain reliever that is non-addictive. I thought that was BS when I heard it about the newer opiates, but what did I know?

That is very sexist. Not all reps are female, not all of the females are sex toys, and not all docs are males looking for a sex toy. My brother used to hire drug reps for a personnel agency. I once asked him what the requirements of the job were-did they need a college degree; did it need to be in science. Yes and no were the responses. He said what most drug companies were looking for is people who thought a 10 hour day was a break.

Wrong. New Zealand allows direct pharma advertising as well. I don't know if it works. They do keep doing the ads.
You know I worked in Corporate Finance for a Pharma. Yes, the Sales Reps. made a salary but the majority of their income is based on commissions. They also have quotas that they need to meet. They will be fired if they do not meet their quotas. Yes, they were required to have a college degree but not in science. It was all about how good of a salesperson they are; male and female.

Largest Sales Budget Line Item allocation was for Travel and Entertainment. The Reps were given company cars, which needed to be maintained and filled up to meet with suppliers, as in Pharmacies, Retail Chains, and yes, Doctors as well. What was Entertainment? These suppliers were taken out to lunches and dinners as a business meeting to discuss a product for sale. Entertainment could be anything from a restaurant to bottle of champagne to tickets to a Broadway Play or Sporting Events, and of course, free samples. When there were multiple Reps in a territory, they competed with each other for the sale, and the commission.

The mindset was that a good Sales Rep could sell any product, from a car to a drug. Sales long hours? When a Budget Deadline had to be met, it went on well into the night. Well, at least we went out to a nice restaurant free dinner. That came from the "Entertainment" part of the budget too. It is all part of Corporate Business.

Last edited by Jo48; 10-12-2019 at 08:19 AM..

Old 10-12-2019, 08:43 AM

18,805 posts, read 8,481,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The most ironic accusation about the pharmaceutical industry only being interested in money is ignoring the massive profits of the homeopathic/supplement industry .
I looked up this HGH...long article/discussion in which one researcher discovered less than a $2 to make that $80 a month supposed HGH product.
The MLM marketing scheme should say enough about it.
It is big business. And mostly benign, except in cases where orthodox therapy is delayed and the patient suffers as a result.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:49 AM

18,805 posts, read 8,481,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
if cures were available Steve Jobs would be alive.
Pancreatic cancer is still a bad bugger. But some other cancers can be cured today.

I have been cured of melanoma and squamous cell skin cancers.
My wife cured of Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia and lymphoma.

In my cases simple surgeries. (Why would a doc want to cure me?)
In my wife's cases unfortunately not so simple. She willingly exchanged certain death with a whole host of treatment side effects. (But why would her doc want to cure her cancers?)

Old 10-12-2019, 09:10 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The medical industry is great. Millions are cured every year of various diseases. Ever hear of polio, small pox, Aids?
All created without billions in profits being made....although some cashed in on AIDS after the "good people" (French and others) did the work for free.

That's the real point here. Not that modern medicine is bad, but that the system which uses it to prey upon people IS bad. Specifically, the US System of many billionaires being minted from administration and stuff like that. The bigger reward in the USA is for money spent, not for wellness.

Humans always go for the gold and the Gold is what Rick Scott has (100s of millions and the ability to buy office in government, etc.).

Old 10-12-2019, 09:19 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,771,508 times
Our medical industry is the best in the world if you're independently wealthy.

And it's not bad if you're poor, old or disabled.

But if you're working class or middle class, our medical system is predatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies