Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:00 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,562,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
must. do. more. research.

That entire thesis is as wrong as can be. I am Muslim and assure you, no one feels the west is a threat to Islam. They do feel meddling in their affairs needs to stop though.
Sorry--I'll be as open-minded as the next guy...but "NO ONE feels the West is a threat to ISLAM?".....That's way beyond my ability to 'swallow'. Don't know who you've been talking to, but lots of people feel the "west" is even a threat to CHRISTIANITY !!....don't like to argue, but I think the Islamic world is a little less tolerant than you seem to....and NOT only because of politics.

In fact, when I think about it, perhaps "the West" isn't Islam's only problem....their problem seems to be with the human race. EVERYBODY seems to "annoy" the Muslims, and their 'battles' seem legendary...from "battling" with the Catholics in the Philippines, to the Hindus in India, to the Christians in Sudan, Serbia, and Egypt, and the Jews in Israel.....and even their battles WITHIN the west--with the Dutch in Holland, with the English in Britain, and even with the SWEDES in Sweden, just about EVERYBODY Muslims 'run into", they seem to have a serious problem with..it ALMOST looks like something in the Muslim attitude may be 'provoking' this attitude against them. Are you familiar with the expression "thin-skinned'? It refers to an exaggerated, overly-paranoid sense that everyone is 'out to get you", and every reference to 'you' is, by definition, an insult. Sounds a little like Islam, to me. It's virtually IMPOSSIBLE to interact with some of these folks without enraging them, and as a result, many "infidels" (nice word) just don't try. Pity, I suppose, because here are undoubtedly moderate Muslims, with much to offer.

If you walk down the street and encounter an individual who takes a dislike to you, that's understandable. But when the entire NEIGHBORHOOD distrusts you--is it possible you're doing something wrong?...

Last edited by macmeal; 02-24-2008 at 09:22 AM..

Old 02-24-2008, 09:15 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,443,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Americans don't really value freedoms, but they love the word freedom.
As the Bush administration has demonstrated, restricting the freedoms of Americans is like taking candy from a baby. Of the warrantless wiretaps, hardly any Americans complained. Many complained about those who were against wiretaps.
Many American would welcome Big Brother with open arms.
Many Americans despise the media which criticizes the president's policies. Many Americans feel that the media manufactures phony stories and is determined to destroy America.
There are plenty of Americans who think that people getting arrested without being charged is a great idea.
There are also plenty of Americans who feel that demonstrators are commies and traitors, and should arrested.
Americans don't really care about freedoms. What Americans really care about are guns, money, low taxes, plenty of sports, good shopping, TV entertainment 24/7, and what else?
Somebody mentioned ideals. America has no ideals. American ideals are a thing of the past. Now, everything in America boils down to; get as much money as you can, however you can. It's a religion. But the word "freedom" sounds good.
This is my perception also, sad - but true.
Lots of big words and slogans, with nothing to back them up.
In the end it DOES all come down to money and interests.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:35 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momlady530 View Post
My issue lies with people who do not know what they're speaking of bashing something my husband has spent 10 years serving.
Well, perhaps just an unfortunate choice of words then in the people who don't even live here phrases. Otherwise, if you've followed her posts, you know that <chielgirl> is both an intelligent and knowledgeable poster. The fact that her PC is not presently located within the legally recognized extents of US territory does not change that, nor does the nature or duration of your husband's employment.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:40 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Well, perhaps just an unfortunate choice of words then in the people who don't even live here phrases. Otherwise, if you've followed her posts, you know that <chielgirl> is both an intelligent and knowledgeable poster. The fact that her PC is not presently located within the legally recognized extents of US territory does not change that, nor does the nature or duration of your husband's employment.
Some can argue with your assessment of chielgirl, but I do find many who live outside the U.S. as having their objective views of the U.S. skewed by media bias or simple jealousy.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:45 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
i am not sure you could appreciate what this country has to offer unless you lived in another one.
lots of assumptions by americans, everybody lives like we do and gets treated like we do. best shot
is telling you remember how mad TSA gets you for 20 minutes at security? well its like that all the time other places.
I love it here, was gone for years, wont do it again.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:54 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
i am not sure you could appreciate what this country has to offer unless you lived in another one.
lots of assumptions by americans, everybody lives like we do and gets treated like we do. best shot
is telling you remember how mad TSA gets you for 20 minutes at security? well its like that all the time other places.
I have visited many countries, but have not personally experienced day-to-day living there. But, I have seen the results of such in many countries. I too was happy to return and again enjoy the benefits of living in the U.S.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:55 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,904,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
Right there with ya, bunky! Won't appreciate what you have here till you lived somewhere else. Sadly, too many people take too many things for granted.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:03 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,562,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Right there with ya, bunky! Won't appreciate what you have here till you lived somewhere else. Sadly, too many people take too many things for granted.
I wholeheartedly agree. While criticism is certainly allowed, and should be encouraged, far too many time this 'criticism' of the US takes on the tone of a spoiled teenager criticizing stuffy old Mom and Dad, from their own sheltered perspective.

It's as if to say "My parents are the DULLEST parents in the whole WORLD !! Last week they made me clean my ROOM, and today, I've been GROUNDED !
I KNOW the parents down the street are WAY cooler than MINE..in fact, one time I spent the weekend with THEIR kid...and we got to go to DISNEYLAND !"

Cute story, but a rather limited view of the relative merits of one's parents..(or one's country)..

The fact that we have up to 20 million people willing to come here illegally and live in the 'shadows' puts us at least a LITTLE BIT above the average third-world "Hell-hole", I would think....

Old 02-24-2008, 10:07 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Some can argue with your assessment of chielgirl...
Anyone can argue. There would in this case be a question as to whether there was any valid basis for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
...but I do find many who live outside the U.S. as having their objective views of the U.S. skewed by media bias or simple jealousy.
I don't see how that differs much from your analysis of many US residents. And isn't it about time that "media bias" went the way of "soft on Communism"? Isn't there some sort of expiration-date on these sorts of tired clichés? As for jealousy, I'm not sure what someone in another developed country would find today to be so envious of.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:14 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,444,815 times
the right to bear arms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies