Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 10:14 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I have visited many countries, but have not personally experienced day-to-day living there. But, I have seen the results of such in many countries. I too was happy to return and again enjoy the benefits of living in the U.S.
The first time I left this country (which was more than 40 years ago) the thing that truly shocked me once I returned was the staggering amount of litter we allow to be cast all over the place. Many foreign countries simply have more self-respect than that...

Old 02-24-2008, 10:19 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
The fact that we have up to 20 million people willing to come here illegally and live in the 'shadows' puts us at least a LITTLE BIT above the average third-world "Hell-hole", I would think....
Are these seriously the standards that America should be judged by, do you think? The United States of America: Better than the average Third World Hell hole!!! Sure makes me want to dash outside and run Old Glory up the flagpole...

Old 02-24-2008, 10:26 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,714,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The first time I left this country (which was more than 40 years ago) the thing that truly shocked me once I returned was the staggering amount of litter we allow to be cast all over the place. Many foreign countries simply have more self-respect than that...
Naples' trash crisis tied to mob, toxic waste - World environment - MSNBC.com

Yeah... Oh and they have no problem burning the stuff either.

Other countries must like streets cleaner than their bodies, most of the odious people I have met have been European. Americans and Asians tend value hygiene the most.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:29 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,714,625 times
Quote:
Are these seriously the standards that America should be judged by, do you think?
Umm..... yes.... The fact we are not third world bothers you?

Old 02-24-2008, 10:29 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Naples' trash crisis tied to mob, toxic waste - World environment - MSNBC.com

Yeah... Oh and they have no problem burning the stuff either.

Other countries must like streets cleaner than their bodies, most of the odious people I have met have been European. Americans and Asians tend value hygiene the most.
I understand that throwing out chewing gum on the street is punishable by law in Singapore! My cousins live there.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:32 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,691,144 times
Quote:
Anyone can argue. There would in this case be a question as to whether there was any valid basis for it.

I don't see how that differs much from your analysis of many US residents. And isn't it about time that "media bias" went the way of "soft on Communism"? Isn't there some sort of expiration-date on these sorts of tired clichés? As for jealousy, I'm not sure what someone in another developed country would find today to be so envious of.
These "cliches" should indeed disappear once media bias against the real American way of life disappears. I haven't seen this occurring as of yet. Economic freedom, the right to bear arms as was mentioned earlier, and the amount of innovation developed here are all aspects of life in the U.S. worthy of envy.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:37 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
[url=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22573281/]
"Odious"...or "odiferous"....(or both ?)...

Old 02-24-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I understand that throwing out chewing gum on the street is punishable by law in Singapore! My cousins live there.
I'd advise you to warn your cousins NOT to toss gum onto the street, (or even SPIT there)...NOT to forget to flush a urinal....and for HEAVEN'S SAKE, NOT to snap off the radio antennas of parked cars...if you want to do THAT stuff, do it in the US.....we're a lot 'easier' here...

Old 02-24-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Are these seriously the standards that America should be judged by, do you think? The United States of America: Better than the average Third World Hell hole!!! Sure makes me want to dash outside and run Old Glory up the flagpole...
As usual, this was offered in what I THOUGHT was an obvious spirit of sarcasm. As a matter of fact, I think we're far ahead of even the BEST Third-World Hell-Holes...and even many FIRST World nations (and even THIS contains just a LINGERING trace of sarcastic understatement)...

I've tried in NUMEROUS posts to get an answer to just the question you pose...just exactly WHAT are the standards we SHOULD be judged by? Give me a comparable multi-ethnic, multi-racial, no-citizenship-required, no religion or civic duty required, nation of 300 million people, and I'll be wiling to be "compared" to them. Meanwhile, I promise not to compare us with Bangladesh, Pakistan, or Haiti---If YOU will promise not to compare us with Iceland, Holland, or Belgium.

I'll be interested to hear of your comparisons....

Old 02-24-2008, 10:45 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,994,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Numerous posts talk about the world hating the US because of special freedoms that no one else apparently possesses.

My question is what are these special and magical freedoms?
the united states is certainly lacking in personal freedoms. ever since 9-11, we have witnessed the gov't taking away personal liberties from us. just look at what we have to endure to board a plane these days! no other country imposes that rigorous of an ordeal. the goal of the gov't is to keep us in deep fear.
we also suffer from a puritan ethic that keeps many americans from using his/her own judgment to enjoy life, ie, the gov't always wants to legislate personal behavior. for example, look at medical marijuana. despite the fact that several states have approved its use by overwhelming vote, the gov't STILL feels a need to OVERRULE the voice of the people. an american can't drink in public in some areas, can't engage in hiring a prostitute (despite the fact that they are two consenting adults). gays cannot legalize their unions and enjoy the rewards that come from those unions. we live in a THEOCRACY where gov't imposes restrictions on individuals and does not let them exercise their human rights. although, we are better than the muslim countries who have been known to stone ppl to death that do these "crimes".
we live in a broken down system where we are virtually powerless to voice which programs our tax $$$ will be spent on. big gov't decides for that for us too.

Last edited by wehotex; 02-24-2008 at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies