Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2016, 02:03 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,344,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If their parents work in exchange for it, sure. Otherwise, why take money away from me for my providing shelter, food, and clothing for my kids to pay for someone else's when that someone else doesn't bear the same responsibility for their kids?

I expect a serious answer to that question.
To keep the answer within the framework of what is in your personal interest ... societies with absolutely no safety net soon become not very nice places to live. For anyone's kids, including yours.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:36 PM

1,850 posts, read 821,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
To keep the answer within the framework of what is in your personal interest ... societies with absolutely no safety net soon become not very nice places to live. For anyone's kids, including yours.
That's actually not true. However, what is true is that safety nets invariably lead to the enrichment of mid-level liberal bureaucrats, for whom the country immediately becomes a very nice place to live, particularly after they retire on a pension paid for by everyone else.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:42 PM

89,038 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Based on what? The parents of the uncared for kids don't give a ****, and their kids die. Where's the 'not very nice' going to come from? People who already don't give a ****? I think not.

So answer the question... Why take money away from me for my providing shelter, food, and clothing for my kids to pay for someone else's when that someone else doesn't bear the same responsibility for their kids?

For the second time, I expect a serious answer to that question.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:45 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Based on what? The parents of the uncared for kids don't give a ****, and their kids die. Where's the 'not very nice' going to come from? People who already don't give a ****? I think not.

So answer the question... Why take money away from me for my providing shelter, food, and clothing for my kids to pay for someone else's when that someone else doesn't bear the same responsibility for their kids?

For the second time, I expect a serious answer to that question.
Because generally, people who can't succeed won't just sit back and quietly starve to death, they will mug and rob people who have money before that happens, so a safety net is in the interest of reduced crime.

Believe me, a lot of crazy things start to seem rational to someone who hasn't eaten in 3 days.....

Old 12-20-2016, 02:46 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,905,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
As a caring and rich society with the resources and the means of production we can rise above, if we so desire.

I desire.

It is easy for me as I am rich.

It is also easy for me as I and my family are sick and dependent on good and expensive HC.

As for me and my family we have paid our way. Either through taxes or through expensive private individual HC insurance.

I cannot expect everyone to be able to pay their way like we have done. And of course I cannot expect everyone to agree to go this route.

This is why I prefer a public option and let free markets exist as they and some here want to chose.
You have no right to demand another pay because you approve of where the money is spent or for the reason. It is theft, it is slavery, it is immoral and unethical.

You are free to spend your own money as you choose, you are free to encourage others to help by their own choosing, but forcing another is no different than the thug who robs people on the street.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraBann View Post
Emotions.. try common decency...
Try a logical argument. Just because you "feel" a certain way does not justify your actions, it is no different than any criminal who makes excuses as to why they are justified in taking from others.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:51 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,477,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
You have no right to demand another pay because you approve of where the money is spent or for the reason. It is theft, it is slavery, it is immoral and unethical.

You are free to spend your own money as you choose, you are free to encourage others to help by their own choosing, but forcing another is no different than the thug who robs people on the street.
Read my posts. I DON'T ask for you to pay. That's why I want to keep a portion of our HC in the private sector, so you can do as you choose with your HC money. And so docs can also remain freer in the practice of their choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Could you provide a citation that says that insurance is something not meant to be used regularly? THank you.
Let see, umm.. it would be called logic?

Tell me, how can an insurance company be profitable if all of their subscribers constantly use the services?

Maybe you should think about things a bit because your question is not merely illogical, it is rather obtuse.

1,285 posts, read 592,362 times
oh right: Tax is Theft!

Go start a new country where you don't have to pay taxes.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:53 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,477,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Try a logical argument. Just because you "feel" a certain way does not justify your actions, it is no different than any criminal who makes excuses as to why they are justified in taking from others.
And that's politics. Whether you feel the group or the individual is preferred or more important at any step of the way forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies