Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 09:36 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Okay. No issues for me then.
Well, awesome! Ready for a drink, then? I'm pretty sure it's beer-thirty somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 09:39 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Well, awesome! Ready for a drink, then? I'm pretty sure it's beer-thirty somewhere.
Morning for me, so maybe just water.

I have to say, several posters here are good debater. You are one of them.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Morning for me, so maybe just water.

I have to say, several posters here are good debater. You are one of them.
Thank you! That makes me very happy.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:47 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Trump is right.

Texas vs. Johnson (1989) was a 4-5 ruling.

We can appoint originalist justices who will permit
local ordinances and state laws against American flag burning.

Desecration of a national treasure is not "free speech".
Just like it wasn't protected until a controversial ruling in 1989,
we don't have to let that ruling keep it legal.

Make America Great Again.
I look at it the same way the Left looks at "hate speech" or their favorite example: "yelling fire in a crowded theater".

There are some things that the first amendment just shouldn't cover and flag burning is one of them.

Do it in front of some people and you're risking your own physical well being.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I look at it the same way the Left looks at "hate speech" or their favorite example: "yelling fire in a crowded theater".

There are some things that the first amendment just shouldn't cover and flag burning is one of them.

And so far, you can't be jailed for "hate speech," as long as your actions *end* with speech. This is as it should be.

What, exactly, are you suggesting the first amendment exclude?

Old 11-30-2016, 10:11 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post

Not really. Those who say this have no desire to see the inside of a jail cell.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:26 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"just throw the constitution out the window,"

Dramatize much?

IMO, it is NOT in the Constitution.

MOST decisions by the SC are NOT liked buy a LOT of people.

Decisions made years in the past have been overturned years later.

IMO, the courts decision is WRONG.

As many have said, "Words have meaning".

speech

/spēCH/

noun

• 1. the expression of or the ability to express thoughts and feelings by articulate sounds: "he was born deaf and without the power of speech" synonyms: speaking, talking, verbal expression, verbal communication.
To say an action, in this case burning the flag, is an "expression of freedom of speech" goes against what the word "SPEECH" is. defined as.

Burning is an ACTION and NOT SPEECH. Period.

The Constitution says NOTHING about "freedom of expression."

It is a made up term by the court.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances"

The SC, NOT the writers, have "interpreted" what the 1st Amendment ACTUALLY says.

Courts CAN be WRONG.

A person would NOT be charged with assault if they slandered you.

A person would NOT be charged with slander if they assaulted you physically.

We have different AND specific laws that deal with slander and assault and CANNOT be used interchangeably.

A question for YOU,

IF trump appoints , some say 4, judges to the SC and they CHANGE the ruling will you be OK with it and support it?

I am not a lawyer and have never acted as one in a movie or a TV show.

Everyone is entitled to their OWN opinion and this is MINE.
Yes, I will support the decisions of the SCOTUS, whoever serves on it, as to do otherwise is to deny the system of government our founders created and what the nation was built on. They created 3 equal but separate bodies. The SCOTUS's only function is to rule on the constitutionality of laws and dictates passed by the legislature or the executive. They determine what is and what is not constitutional. If we fail to accept their decisions as final and absolute, until changed by constitutional process, the entire underpinnings of the nation will collapse. You, nor any other citizen, are not remotely qualified to determine what is constitutional or not. The way our system is set up, if Trump chose Pee Wee Herman and Howdy Doody to the SCOTUS we the people would have to accept the decisions they made concerning constitutional law.
Likewise if the electoral college chooses a New York snake oil salesman and narcissistic blowhard, loose cannon, the people must accept him as president.
To believe in America, you must believe in the system our founders created. Once we don't, the nation is lost.

Last edited by mohawkx; 11-30-2016 at 11:04 AM..

Old 11-30-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Don't burn the Quran.. or you will be killed. So much for freedoms.

Burning the Quran Is No Childish Game | The Huffington Post
Simple minded thoughts from simple minded people.

Clue: It wouldn't be the American government doing the killing. Burning the Koran is protected speech in America. I would have thought you'd know that simple truth.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:36 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
You sit here and argue nationalism to me, a concept that is at odds with the founding basis of this country. You defy the very concept of why we are free and ignore these basic principals to promote worship of objects while at the same time demanding adherence to action which defies the very thing you claim to support by your flag worship.

You point to objects and symbols and act as is if this defines you, when it is your actions that define you and one is a hypocrite if they demand servitude to an object as it means they have no concept or clue as to what this country is, they are merely ignorant aggressors urinating on the very "symbol" they claim to adore.
"You sit here and argue nationalism to me,"

I am NOT arguing anything.

I am having a discussion.

You posted your opinion and I posted mine.

"You point to objects and symbols and act as is if this defines you,"

Quit making assumptions.

"they are merely ignorant aggressors urinating on the very "symbol" they claim to adore."

This is why we can't have meaningful discussions.

People like you make accusations and juvenile name calling just because someone has a different opinion then yours.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You do understand that the exercise of free speech includes free speech that you may find disrespectful or even offensive?????
That's the point of it all. In fact the free speech that is protected most of all by the 1st amendment is the speech that no one wants to hear. The repulsive things said against leadership or other races. It is the vile and offensive speech that is the most protected by the 1st amendment.
For as soon as we start legislating away the speech we don't want to hear or participate in, you take away an inalienable right of the citizen to loudly protest the actions of government or groups. Only oppressors ban things they find offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies