Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2016, 12:39 PM

3,222 posts, read 2,127,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
No one "decides" to be transgender. Look how much hate they get... .
Didn't one of them just become "Woman of the Year"?
talk about the hate.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 12:40 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,014,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Is there an unbaised and properly-conduced study that supports this statement?
http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.ed...port-Final.pdf

Source:
https://afsp.org/about-afsp/

Old 12-29-2016, 12:41 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Didn't one of them just become "Woman of the Year"?
talk about the hate.....
Caitlyn Jenner has been slammed both online AND by some prominent people publicly. Don't play dumb.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:45 PM

5,662 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:
Caitlyn Jenner has been slammed both online AND by some prominent people publicly. Don't play dumb.
Bruce.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:46 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
Quote:
Proof? There are doctors and scientists who study transgenderism and even homosexuality, are you one of them?

People can be born with all types of "deformities" if you will, or variations from the norm, what makes you think brain chemistry can't be mixed up? What makes you think that what's on the outside doesn't always match what's on the inside from conception? People can be born with BOTH male AND female genitalia or "parts," why are you so sure they can't be born transgender?
Even if this is true and they are born this way, what does that change? You can address the issue one of two ways. You can re-orient the kid to reality and treat him with medical help for depression. Or, you can re-arrange the whole world to fit his beliefs that are not grounded in reality, and give him sex hormones and surgery to make him look more like a girl even though he'll never actually be one.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:47 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,905,917 times
Quote:
Even if this is true and they are born this way, what does that change? You can address the issue one of two ways. You can re-orient the kid to reality and treat him with medical help for depression. Or, you can re-arrange the whole world to fit his beliefs that are not grounded in reality, and give him sex hormones and surgery to make him look more like a girl even though he'll never actually be one.
Exactly, there are a lot of people born stupid, but do we make society stupid to accommodate them? Wait... did we do that already? Maybe that is why this problem exists?

Old 12-29-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Bruce.
Oh, your ignorance hurt my "feelwings."

Quote:
Do we not accommodate for those born handicapped? Do we not have the Americans with Disabilities Act? Being born different doesn't mean that absolutely nothing should change for you just because you are a minority. Minorities are often protected by law from the majority, and rightfully, if it is to ensure at least an attempt at equal rights. The majority doesn't understand what it's like to be a minority (and no I'm not talking racial or ethnic here). How could they possibly implement the right changes for transgender or handicapped people if they don't understand what it's like to be one? Their lives don't seem too hard or even real from our POV, but how could we possibly understand?

Unlike some of you, I don't pretend I get it or attempt to speak for those I am not. I don't think I'm right or that I know everything about this topic that does not even affect me or my life. There's a mystery to transgenderism and it is still studied in an attempt to understand something that is admittedly very difficult to understand. However, I don't spout off my personal beliefs about it as if I'm right, no questions asked. I try to be understanding and compassionate.

And "re-orient the kid to reality"? Who are you to decide what is and isn't reality? Are you also a doctor or scientist studying this? So because YOU don't think it's possible for transgenderism to be a real thing rather than a mental illness or whatever you think it is, that means you're unquestionably right?

Many resort to surgery but it cannot happen until one is 18, and only after strict counseling and evaluation. Until then, most take hormones and quietly live their lives. Many times, you cannot even tell when a child or teen is transgender.

What's happening here, simply, is people are unsurprisingly rudely dismissing something they don't understand, rather than researching to try to understand it. Now there are probably going to be some people who will try to tell me they HAVE researched, but save your breath/fingers, because I probably won't believe you.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:15 PM

778 posts, read 339,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
The facts are transgender kids who don't have the support of their families commit suicide at about 50% , so if you are a parent what are you supposed to do? I don't know about you what whatever has a 50% chance of my child killing himself I am taking door #2.
My brother was a paranoid schizophrenic who claimed he was God and threatened suicide several times. My horrible and uncompassionate parents chose to get him help for mental illness instead of assuring him that he was indeed God and everyone else should accommodate his belief so that he would not kill himself. H8ters, no doubt!!

Old 12-29-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
My brother was a paranoid schizophrenic who claimed he was God and threatened suicide several times. My horrible and uncompassionate parents chose to get him help for mental illness instead of assuring him that he was indeed God and everyone else should accommodate his belief so that he would not kill himself. H8ters, no doubt!!
What transgender person is a danger to him or herself (well outside of depression and thoughts of suicide IF those around them are cruel) or others? Bad comparison.

I'll ask yet another clearly well-informed poster () - are you a doctor or scientist who studies transgenderism and the brain? Do you have proof that it's an illness similar to schizophrenia which would make your comparison valid?

Old 12-29-2016, 01:41 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
The facts are transgender kids who don't have the support of their families commit suicide at about 50% , so if you are a parent what are you supposed to do? I don't know about you what whatever has a 50% chance of my child killing himself I am taking door #2.
You can support your child without creating a media circus. It would start with age appropriate discussions about what they are feeling and exploring what they do and don't have a right to expect of those outside their own family. Failing to teach a child that experiences these internal conflicts how to deal in a healthy way with rejection from people outside their inner circle is a huge mistake. This includes a frank talk about how you can't control how others feel, and only sometimes how they behave, which means even if you can force others to do what you want you can't successfully demand they approve of your choices. I'm sure the knee jerk reaction to what I just wrote is "Not fair!" I agree, it isn't fair but as unfortunate as it is, it is their reality and the sooner they learn how to navigate the pitfalls the better the child will cope. There should also be age appropriate discussions about options they can choose as they age, such as hormones and surgery, if they still feel this way when they reach those ages. It is a disservice to smooth a bumpy road for a child, instead you should be teaching them how to successfully travel it, bumps and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies