Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2016, 01:51 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,009,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The right and proper thing to do. One cannot just simply decide to be the opposite sex, and the Boy Scouts should not be forced to accept it. That's why there are also Girl Scouts.

Imagine if a biological boy decided he wanted to be "a girl" and join the Girl Scouts? Think of all that means ...at camp, showering with your daughters, changing clothes in a cabin or tent that was all girls but one.

Look; this isn't difficult. It should not happen. PERIOD!
One doesn't have to "imagine" it. The Girl Scouts accepts transgender girls.

Girl Scouts is proud to be the premiere leadership organization for girls in the country. Placement of transgender youth is handled on a case-by-case basis, with the welfare and best interests of the child and the members of the troop/group in question a top priority. That said, if the child is recognized by the family and school/community as a girl and lives culturally as a girl, then Girl Scouts is an organization that can serve her in a setting that is both emotionally and physically safe.

Social Issues FAQ - Girl Scouts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 01:59 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
One doesn't have to "imagine" it. The Girl Scouts accepts transgender girls.

Girl Scouts is proud to be the premiere leadership organization for girls in the country. Placement of transgender youth is handled on a case-by-case basis, with the welfare and best interests of the child and the members of the troop/group in question a top priority. That said, if the child is recognized by the family and school/community as a girl and lives culturally as a girl, then Girl Scouts is an organization that can serve her in a setting that is both emotionally and physically safe.

Social Issues FAQ - Girl Scouts
So their national leadership claims, but I know of two troops that got disbanded because the leaders quit when an attempt was made to force them to take a transgender child. They couldn't find new leaders, who are, after all, volunteers. At least 20 little girls no longer had a troop to belong to. I'm not sure what happened after that because my friend was leader #2 that quit.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:11 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,009,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
So their national leadership claims, but I know of two troops that got disbanded because the leaders quit when an attempt was made to force them to take a transgender child. They couldn't find new leaders, who are, after all, volunteers. At least 20 little girls no longer had a troop to belong to. I'm not sure what happened after that because my friend was leader #2 that quit.
That is a very unfortunate situation for the kids.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:50 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,299,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Caitlyn Jenner has been slammed both online AND by some prominent people publicly. Don't play dumb.
You mean, Bruce. He is still a man, biologically, and physically (unless he got a "boob job" (but he still has male genitalia last I heard). He is "Bruce."

Old 12-29-2016, 03:12 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,215,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It's just not that simple.

GENETICS OF SEX AND GENDER IDENTITY | SCQ

Most of our gender identity is determined in our brains not in our genitalia.

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articl...-in-the-Brain/
No, in DNA. Period.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:17 PM

184 posts, read 143,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Probably a good thing your friend is no longer a leader, then. It is unfortunate that those 20 little girls no longer had a troop, however.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:43 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,585,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Oh, your ignorance hurt my "feelwings."

Do we not accommodate for those born handicapped? Do we not have the Americans with Disabilities Act? Being born different doesn't mean that absolutely nothing should change for you just because you are a minority. Minorities are often protected by law from the majority, and rightfully, if it is to ensure at least an attempt at equal rights. The majority doesn't understand what it's like to be a minority (and no I'm not talking racial or ethnic here). How could they possibly implement the right changes for transgender or handicapped people if they don't understand what it's like to be one? Their lives don't seem too hard or even real from our POV, but how could we possibly understand?

Unlike some of you, I don't pretend I get it or attempt to speak for those I am not. I don't think I'm right or that I know everything about this topic that does not even affect me or my life. There's a mystery to transgenderism and it is still studied in an attempt to understand something that is admittedly very difficult to understand. However, I don't spout off my personal beliefs about it as if I'm right, no questions asked. I try to be understanding and compassionate.

And "re-orient the kid to reality"? Who are you to decide what is and isn't reality? Are you also a doctor or scientist studying this? So because YOU don't think it's possible for transgenderism to be a real thing rather than a mental illness or whatever you think it is, that means you're unquestionably right?

Many resort to surgery but it cannot happen until one is 18, and only after strict counseling and evaluation. Until then, most take hormones and quietly live their lives. Many times, you cannot even tell when a child or teen is transgender.

What's happening here, simply, is people are unsurprisingly rudely dismissing something they don't understand, rather than researching to try to understand it. Now there are probably going to be some people who will try to tell me they HAVE researched, but save your breath/fingers, because I probably won't believe you.
The first part of your post might hold some weight if the LGBT community itself didn't refuse to equate transgenderism with an illness (something I brought up earlier and no one addressed). We help out a person in a wheelchair for example because: 1. they are actually in a wheelchair; 2. helping them (by putting in a button on a door for example) does not mean that everyone else needs to play make-believe; and 3. it does not lead to others being singled out. Here, you are asking everyone else to let a girl into a boys' club because she thinks she is a boy, yet a real girl who wants to be in the club would not be permitted to join.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:05 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,699,670 times
All the societal arguments aside, this is a basic safety and liability issue.

Imagine being the scoutmaster of a troop of young boys, all at an age when their hormones are going crazy and when their (ahem...) physical capabilities outpace both their maturity and their judgement, being responsible for the safety of a scout who shows up for a camping trip... with a vagina.

This isn't a GLBT issue or a rights issue or a social justice issue. It's a basic safety issue. I would never take on that liability.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:36 PM

184 posts, read 143,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post

Imagine being the scoutmaster of a troop of young boys, all at an age when their hormones are going crazy and when their (ahem...) physical capabilities outpace both their maturity and their judgement, being responsible for the safety of a scout who shows up for a camping trip... with a vagina.

This isn't a GLBT issue or a rights issue or a social justice issue. It's a basic safety issue. I would never take on that liability.
As has been repeatedly said, girls can join the BSA at age 14, and have been doing so for at least 20 years (I know because that's when I joined my Venture Crew).

As a teenager, I not only went on campouts, I also lived for weeks at a time as a staff member at summer and winter camps. It was fine. I was safe. However hormonal they may have been, the boys were able to control themselves and I was fine. I was also able to control myself and the boys I camped with were safe.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:44 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post

When my son attended National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) this past summer, there were also a dozen or so teenage girls attending through BSA's Venture program. Each attendee was assigned to a co-ed patrol, which camped in the same area and worked as a unit for an entire week. This coming summer, there will be two girls in my son's Philmont crew. I expect it to go just as smoothly. Co-ed camping is already a reality for the BSA, and it has systems in place to ensure the safety of its scouts, males and females alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies