Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2016, 06:12 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The first part of your post might hold some weight if the LGBT community itself didn't refuse to equate transgenderism with an illness (something I brought up earlier and no one addressed.
I have never heard of this. Proof? I'm not going back through the thread to find it.

I won't even address the rest of your post because you clearly don't understand transgenderism at all. I wish people would educate themselves even a little bit before posting but that's too much to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 06:24 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I have never heard of this. Proof? I'm not going back through the thread to find it.

I won't even address the rest of your post because you clearly don't understand transgenderism at all. I wish people would educate themselves even a little bit before posting but that's too much to ask.
I know what people say transgenderism is. But like I said, we don't even need to discuss that issue. The question is whether we should rearrange society to appease a belief held by a tiny number of people. A belief that does not comport with physical reality.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:30 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
I know what people say transgenderism is. But like I said, we don't even need to discuss that issue. The question is whether we should rearrange society to appease a belief held by a tiny number of people. A belief that does not comport with physical reality.
Here is where your personal bias comes in and this is why we need to discuss what transgenderism is. But if you don't want to, that's fine - I know it's because you are completely uneducated on the subject and probably also unwilling to open your mind.

Please - I would like to know who in the LGBT community thinks transgenderism (the "T") is a mental illness.

Also - "rearrange society" is incredibly dramatic. Allowing a transgender boy into boy scouts is not rearranging society. Most people likely wouldn't even know, especially when the troop goes on trips and camping and stuff to places where other people from outside his troop and area are, who wouldn't know him personally. Like I said before, transgender kids and often even teens blend in well. Most of the time you would be shocked to find out a kid you thought was "normal" was actually transgender and that little boy has a vagina. Society will not be rearranged.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Here is where your personal bias comes in and this is why we need to discuss what transgenderism is. But if you don't want to, that's fine - I know it's because you are completely uneducated on the subject and probably also unwilling to open your mind.

Please - I would like to know who in the LGBT community thinks transgenderism (the "T") is a mental illness.

Also - "rearrange society" is incredibly dramatic. Allowing a transgender boy into boy scouts is not rearranging society. Most people likely wouldn't even know, especially when the troop goes on trips and camping and stuff to places where other people from outside his troop and area are, who wouldn't know him personally. Like I said before, transgender kids and often even teens blend in well. Most of the time you would be shocked to find out a kid you thought was "normal" was actually transgender and that little boy has a vagina. Society will not be rearranged.
The "T" community says that being trans is not an illness but they want the same reasonable accommodations as people who do have an illness. You can't have it both ways. This is also not just about boyscouts. Trans activists want us to rearrange bathrooms and sports teams and other areas of society. This kid can join other groups that accept girls, like every other girl. If, at 18, she wants to get the axe and change her birth certificate then that's fine. It's her choice. But until then she needs to use the girl's room.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:52 PM

2,309 posts, read 902,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
In the 21st century it is considered natural and normal for some boys to have vaginas, and some girls to have penises.
And the 19th century thought slavery was ok. You're point?

Old 12-29-2016, 09:02 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times
An Alpharetta mom adapts to life with a transgender child

Old 12-29-2016, 09:09 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
The first part of your post might hold some weight if the LGBT community itself didn't refuse to equate transgenderism with an illness (something I brought up earlier and no one addressed). We help out a person in a wheelchair for example because: 1. they are actually in a wheelchair; 2. helping them (by putting in a button on a door for example) does not mean that everyone else needs to play make-believe; and 3. it does not lead to others being singled out. Here, you are asking everyone else to let a girl into a boys' club because she thinks she is a boy, yet a real girl who wants to be in the club would not be permitted to join.
Transgenderism is an illness only to those who see "normal" human sexuality as a strictly heterosexual phenomenon rather than a spectrum.

Another poster has made it crystal clear that "real" girls can participate in Boy Scout activities, so it is not true that they cannot. The issue is actually that a "real" girl can participate but a transgender boy cannot, solely because of his gender identity.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Transgenderism is an illness only to those who see "normal" human sexuality as a strictly heterosexual phenomenon rather than a spectrum.

Another poster has made it crystal clear that "real" girls can participate in Boy Scout activities, so it is not true that they cannot. The issue is actually that a "real" girl can participate but a transgender boy cannot, solely because of his gender identity.
No, a real girl (including the onehere) can participate in activities at age 14. No one is stopping her.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:51 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwick View Post
Probably a good thing your friend is no longer a leader, then. It is unfortunate that those 20 little girls no longer had a troop, however.
For what reason is it a good thing? She did crafts with them, took them camping, they earned badges, sold Girl Scout cookies, and all kinds of other Girl Scout activities. She was a fine leader who volunteered her time to enrich the lives of little girls. Her belief that a child with a penis would create problems in her troop that she did not want to deal with, especially on camping trips, did not preclude her from being a good leader. Why should she, as a volunteer, have to address those issues? The transgendered child's mother should have started a troop, that way this would not have been a problem, given the national HQ's theory. They are always looking for volunteer leaders, they never have enough. But that's right, Mom just wanted to everyone else to change how they felt or operated. If she had really cared she would have given up her own time and formed a troop that she knew would be non-hostile towards her child's inclusion.

And, that was at least 20 little girls in two different troops, most troops have over 10 girls so it was probably more.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:52 PM

289 posts, read 145,871 times
Quote:

No we shouldn't and it's absolutely ridiculous that people think we should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies