Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2016, 08:12 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I've said what I see as factual, straightforward and as f2f as possible here in the ether. Sugarcoating be damned and no 'big shot' attitude involved. You want to pay for travel for both of us?
You don't even deserve anyone's time of day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 08:27 AM

5,663 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You don't even deserve anyone's time of day.
Just trying to accommodate your wish as stated below... Meh.

Quote:
I'd love to see these big shots say this stuff to your face.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:28 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinFam5 View Post
This is the exception, not the rule. Seriously?
Transgender people are a very small percentage of the population, but they are still worthy of being treated as human beings of whatever gender they identify as.

Rules are made to be broken.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notinpa View Post
Why can't the girl , "feel" like a boy , and still goto girl scouts?
Because if he identifies as a boy, he wants to be around boys and doing activities that boy scouts do, not to be in a girl scout troop.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Congrats Commies, the once great Boy-Scouts is a festering-shell of its former self.
Problem is the Boy Scouts were only great for certain boys, not all boys.

https://usnews.newsvine.com/_news/20...ause-he-is-gay

Quote:
Ryan Andresen had completed the requirements to earn his Eagle Scout award, but his mother, Karen, said his Scoutmaster said he wouldn't get it because he recently came out as gay. The Boy Scouts of America said later Thursday that Andresen was no longer eligible for membership in Scouting because of his sexual orientation and since he does not agree to the BSA's principle of "Duty to God."
They have denied awards after the scout has completed his requirements. The scout fought this and won, I believe.

Inside the Boy Scouts' 'Perversion Files' - LA Times

They have protected abusers in many cases.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:53 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
None of that says or means that young children cannot be transgender. It only suggests that it is rare - which we already knew.

I don't doubt that most young children who show interest in being the other gender outgrow it. But I cannot definitively say that transgenderism cannot occur in young children - I don't think anyone can for sure at this point. They would be the exception, not the rule.
Guess you didn't actually read the studies or just decided to ignore that iatrogenic part. The sources I gave you, if they are biased at all, lean towards post-puberty or adult transgender support. The current trend of gender changing at too young of an age has the potential to permanently hurt far more children with gender dysmorphia or non-compliant gender identity than it could help. They have not been able to identify what children are most likely to remain gender dysmorphic. So far the research indicates there does not appear to be a correlation in the extent of the child's expression of desire to be the other gender, so you can't go by that. They just don't know enough for our society to be advocating mandatory gender shifts at a pre-adult stage.

They do know that parents expressing negative judgement of the child ("You're a freak") does cause psychological problems. Please note that is not the same as telling the child they need to conform to society norms, at least when in public, and when they are old enough to make choices for themselves there will be other options ("Since you are a girl you can't join Boy Scouts, but we'll search for a Girl Scout troop that does a lot of camping").

I know it is the current cool thing to advocate allowing young children to live as their desired gender, that there is a tendency to ignore or dismiss reasearch that contradict one's beliefs, but we are basically doing a social experiment on young children in real time with at least some proven negative outcomes. Are you seriously willing to take above a 70% chance that you are doing irreparable psychological harm to a child?

Old 12-31-2016, 10:07 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Transgender people are a very small percentage of the population, but they are still worthy of being treated as human beings of whatever gender they identify as.

What crap. Rules are made for order, structure, safety and consistency. You don't break them. Sometimes you make an exception for a very good reason. Parents thinking their girl is a boy is not a good reason.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:18 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
You belong in the 19th century, both of you.
Were bodies different in the 19th century?

Old 12-31-2016, 10:27 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Sometimes they do.

Like when a child is born with basically both sets of genitalia.

As happened in my extended family - the doctor could not even tell the Mother if her baby was a boy or a girl. She refused all phone calls while in the hospital because she didn't know what to tell people.

Can you imagine?

Is this child a boy or a girl?

Should this child join the boy scouts or girl scouts?
And what do we do with this child? It's not like there's only ONE.

Suppose THIS child suffers a gender identity crisis? Any compassion? Any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

Absolutely. Human beings are worthy as being treated as human beings. That's all they ask for.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:49 AM

37,119 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Are you seriously willing to take above a 70% chance that you are doing irreparable psychological harm to a child?
Where is the evidence that allowing a child to behave as transgender who ultimately prefers his conforming gender going to cause "irreparable harm"?

No one is advocating surgery in someone until he or she is old enough to consent for himself or herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies