Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2017, 03:54 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
But, see that's the thing, what several researchers have found is that there isn't, at least not significant enough to establish a set of criteria to use.

No, I am not transgender. I don't do the whole feminine thing well, but I am happy to be a woman. I don't think prepubescent children should be labeled transsexual precisely because there are so many that will end up desisting.

This is the current DSM criteria. Kids who end up growing into transgender adults fall under it as well as kids who will end up desisting sometime during puberty.
You were mistargeted by me. I didn't intend to include you with those that think I'm a mental case andpr a freak. I'm sorry!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 04:05 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
I have done none of that. None. I actually agree with you, I know you are not wrong. My problem is that there is currently a trend of rushing towards complete social transition, and even worse medical intervention, in prepubescent children. I just want a wait and see approach with prepubescent children because so many end up desisting. You were not one.
Is there an average age where or by children usually tend to outgrow the gender dysphoria? Medical intervention does not happen until puberty, and it's reversible anyway. IMO it's worse to wait until after puberty because if someone is trans, they will then have irreversible changes making them distinctly more masculine or feminine. If at puberty (which IMO seems late) a child is still insisting they are the opposite gender, I don't see the harm in reversible hormone treatments IF they then happen to change their mind at that point. What's the worst, you let the kid do what they wanted and felt was right, and they were happy at the time and not, say, suicidal? Waiting until after puberty can be extremely hard on trans people from what I understand. Caitlyn Jenner can never be as feminine looking or sounding as Jazz Jennings. It's easier to "blend in" when one looks and acts the part. It presumably can also lead to less bullying and hate when one is less obviously actually a born male or female.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:08 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Basically the "boy" was born a girl. His/Her birth certificate says female. Boy Scouts says they make decisions based off the birth certificate.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cub-scout...171745383.html
Does the so called boy, have a vagina? If the eight year old "boy" does have one, then it's just a girl who is gender confused.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Does the so called boy, have a vagina? If the eight year old "boy" does have one, then it's just a girl who is gender confused.
You don't know this boy, so there is no way for you to know whether or not he is confused. All you have is your opinion. Which means nothing.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:15 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,955,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
or that these mentally ill creatures are safe to be around.
Why do you speak of people this way? They are not creatures. They are humans. No different then you and I. Have you always had such hatred in your heart towards other humans? What in your eyes makes them so unsafe to be around?

I never understood why people always assumed that because someone was gay they were automatically a pedophile or constantly going to be hitting on people of the same sex. Makes no sense to me whatsoever. I have never automatically assumed that a straight person is always looking to have sex with people of the opposite sex or shouldn't be around children because they were automatically a pedophile. By your way of thinking, girls should only attend schools that are all girls and be taught by only female teachers and vice versa.

I would have no problem at all with my child being around a gay or transgendered troup leader. If they were good at their job and taught many useful skills to children, what does matter their sexual orientation or gender?

Old 01-05-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Is there an average age where or by children usually tend to outgrow the gender dysphoria? Medical intervention does not happen until puberty, and it's reversible anyway. IMO it's worse to wait until after puberty because if someone is trans, they will then have irreversible changes making them distinctly more masculine or feminine. If at puberty (which IMO seems late) a child is still insisting they are the opposite gender, I don't see the harm in reversible hormone treatments IF they then happen to change their mind at that point. What's the worst, you let the kid do what they wanted and felt was right, and they were happy at the time and not, say, suicidal? Waiting until after puberty can be extremely hard on trans people from what I understand. Caitlyn Jenner can never be as feminine looking or sounding as Jazz Jennings. It's easier to "blend in" when one looks and acts the part. It presumably can also lead to less bullying and hate when one is less obviously actually a born male or female.
Life would be much easier for me had I been able to start at puberty, then again had I asserted my identity then, my bio Dad would likely have beaten me to death.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:19 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
I have done none of that. None. I actually agree with you, I know you are not wrong. My problem is that there is currently a trend of rushing towards complete social transition, and even worse medical intervention, in prepubescent children. I just want a wait and see approach with prepubescent children because so many end up desisting. You were not one.
Years ago we had a family that was very close to ours, they had three girls, we had three boys. They middle girl always played together with my youngest boy, They were like two peas in a pod.

She was such a cute four year old girl. She would exclaim "I'm a boy, and my name is Ted." Her father's name was Ted. She would even pee standing up at the toilet with the other boys, only to get her socks soaked. She dressed like a boy, acted like a boy, and stated she was a boy.

However, neither my family, or hers, ever worried about her sexual identity. We just let it runs it's coarse. At her fifth birthday party, she was all decked out in a real party dress, She looked all dejected. My son saw her, looked to us and whispered in a voice of bewilderment that "Britney looks like a girl." He walked over and in a quiet voice, asked if she was a girl. She nodded in resigned defeat, and that was that.

Those were saner times. No one ran to the doctors and demand they start pumping her full of hormones or go to a shrink to keep reinforcing the notion that she was a boy.

She's now a very beautiful woman with two children, and is very happy.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:23 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I don't think. I know. Beyond any doubt. And no, I don't have a mental problem.
To know is to think... that is a function of mind. Again, it IS a mental issue. It poses a problem if one wishes to live as the other gender. Mental + problem = mental problem.
It is not meant to be a slur as in "mentally ill" or defective. It merely identifies the source.

If one was one gender, but hormones were somehow reversed in proportion, it would be a physiological problem. Again, no intention of judgment or slur.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:24 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
Life would be much easier for me had I been able to start at puberty, then again had I asserted my identity then, my bio Dad would likely have beaten me to death.
I can only hope that as time moves forward, people - especially parents for God's sake - can be more open-minded and accepting. I think it is slowly happening.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:34 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
Quote:
Being trans isn't a liberal vs. conservative issue. It's a gender issue.
It starts as a poor parenting issue or lack of parenting but it progresses into a mental health issue and the child is a victim of either/both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies