Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 05:19 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times

Advertisements

I'd rather flip the OP's question around: Why do so many conservatives and Trump voters have such disdain for anybody who went to college?

In my America, it's a matter of pride to be college-educated. It's something to be worked for and achieved and celebrated. And in my America nobody would look down on a farmer, a soldier, a blue-collar worker. Hell, we have all those folks as family or friends. But nobody would sneer at a college-educated man or woman either, as so many on the right seem to do almost reflexively these days. Nobody would make fun of intellectual curiosity that extended to ethnic studies or the arts or humanities. Nobody in my America would presume that a kid who graduated from a top-tier university would be anything less than someone to be congratulated, while much of the Right Wing is full of nothing but thinly disguised disgust at such places.

Instead of wondering "why liberals look down on uneducated Americans," I think the Right Wing should examine its own fear of education, which manifests too often. Instead of sitting around waiting for the coal mines to reopen and the factory jobs to come back, maybe those with the disregard, disdain, and suspicion of college-educated folks, should try getting some education--whether its college education or advanced vocational training or whatever. And if you have to leave home to get it, then leave and get it.

Nobody I know looks down on uneducated people -- except when they wear their uneducated status as a badge of pride.

Last edited by citylove101; 02-06-2017 at 05:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 05:21 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,772,153 times
If there is some looking-down going on, it has more to do with rational thinking than education. But education tends to develop rational-analytical skills so there is some correlation between the two. Supporting Trump for instance, is not rational, it is emotional. He has used demagoguery to appeal to people who tend to make decisions based on an emotional appeal rather than asking if what he says actually makes sense.

Take his campaign promise of building a wall and making Mexico pay for it. Anyone who thought about that would realize it makes no sense and would boo him off the stage, but people ate it up. Well as it turns out it didn't make any sense and now he is backing off of it. So people on the left are amazed that anyone can be so gullible to believe that stuff.

That is what is going on.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:22 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Well, as an educated person, let me point out the logical fallacies in your question.

First, you have equated two things: liberals "look down on" uneducated Americans, but "are totally fine with" uneducated immigrants. "Look down on" and "totally fine with" are statements that use very general language that isn't well defined here. What do you mean by "look down on" exactly"? And what do you mean by "are totally fine with"? Those could be different things. For example, I might be very frustrated with and disagree with uneducated Americans, and yet feel compassion for suffering refugees. Those things are not in conflict at all. Thus, your question itself suggests that a person who supports admitting refugees and immigrants into the country cannot also disagree with uneducated Americans, when those two things have nothing to do with each other.

So you see, just the fact that you asked that question shows tremendous flaws in reasoning ability. As a person who values knowledge and reason, it is very hard not to be frustrated with people who influence political decisions that affect me and many others, but who aren't even able to understand their own opinions and why they are based on errors in reasoning.

And for the record, when I have to deal with immigrants and refugees who are also illogical (as you pointed out, some of them also are uneducated), I feel just as frustrated. Doesn't mean I think they should leave, though.
Good post.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:23 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
They don't.
Sure they do. Take a look around CD.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:23 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I'd rather flip the OP's question around: Why do so many conservatives and Trump voters have such disdain for anybody who went to college?

In my America, it's a matter of pride to be college-educated. It's something to be worked for and achieved and celebrated. And in my America nobody would look down on a farmer, a soldier, a blue-collar worker. Hell, we have all those folks as family or friends. But nobody would sneer at a college-educated man or woman either, as so many on the right seem to do almost reflexively these days. Nobody would make fun of intellectual curiosity that extended to ethnic studies or the arts or humanities. Nobody in my America would presume that a kid who graduated from a top-tier university would be anything less than someone to be congratulated, while much of the Right Wing is full of nothing but thinly disguised disgust at such places.

Instead of wondering "why liberals look down on uneducated Americans," I think the Right Wing should examine its own fear of education, which manifests too often. Instead of sitting around waiting for the coal mines to reopen and the factory jobs to come back, maybe those with the disregard, disdain, and suspicion of college-educated folks, should try getting some education--whether its college education or advanced vocational training or whatever. And if you have to leave home to get it, then leave and get it.

Nobody I know looks down on uneducated people -- except when they were their uneducated status as a badge of pride.
Also a good post. I find this "ignorant, and proud of it!" thinking to be really hard to understand.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:24 PM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yet they are totally fine with illegal immigrants that don't even have a high school degree ?

Guess it's just another example of liberal hypocrisy
Reminds me of this song...

"So, you've been to school
For a year or two
And you know you've seen it all
In daddy's car
Thinking you'll go far
Back east your type don't crawl

Playing ethnicky jazz
To parade your snazz
On your five-grand stereo
Braggin' that you know
How the xxxxxx feel cold
And the slum's got so much soul"

The little know it all's just love to look down their noses at people.

Song is " holiday in cambodia" by the Dead Kennedys

Old 02-06-2017, 05:26 PM

1,261 posts, read 951,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
What you describe doesn't require a degree at all. It's called human factors testing.
Actually, in my experience, most people working in human factors and UX design do have a degree, and an advanced one at that. Either way, my point was that good design requires more than just stem grade. I still think that is true.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:28 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
Your leaders feed you on this fallacy that it's liberals who look down on the common man. When Trump had the opportunity to place one of your own on the Supreme Court he choose the Ivy League over a regular blue collar guy. There’ your hypocrisy. And he will chose his country club capitalist needs over yours.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:30 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Actually, in my experience, most people working in human factors and UX design do have a degree, and an advanced one at that. Either way, my point was that good design requires more than just stem grade. I still think that is true.
Ahh, but not one in nonsense degrees that I listed. In fact, in every example that I gave, you respond that they then had to learn something quite different.

i.e. Their pointless degree was well..... pointless.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:31 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Your leaders feed you on this fallacy that it's liberals who look down on the common man. When Trump had the opportunity to place one of your own on the Supreme Court he choose the Ivy League over a regular blue collar guy. There’ your hypocrisy.
Trump supporters don't hate education and don't want an uneducated person on the Supreme Court. There's you misunderstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies