Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 12:30 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Tourism is a aspirational product, it requires the potential vistors to view your nation in a positive light.
Trump took a shotgun and shot out every light. The entire world thinks we are not nice for the overly aggressive stance taken by our President.
This is exactly how these markets work. Why do you think terrorists target tourists ? Think about it? Terrorists have been targeting tourist areas because it has a multiplier , it get international attention and it destroys the entire market. Look at Egypt.
Egypt had a coup, and violence afterwards with a rather unstable government in place. The US had an election.

China ranks fourth, and Russia 10th in global tourism rankings, I do not think those countries are better nor viewed better than the US, yet they are strong tourism markets.

Again, nothing has changed in the US, a person traveling from Germany last year will encounter the same things if they travel tomorrow.

If someone's mind is swayed so much by things like Trump, then I feel sorry for them, and there is nothing really to say to such simple minded people.

Quote:
as to your claims of falling tourism in the EU, well I see nothing to support that and see lots to disprove it.

European cities hotel forecast for 2016 and 2017
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ourism-market/
Lol, your own chart shows tourism is down. All you are going by are projections for 2017, and that is all they are, projections. From 2015 to 2016, tourism is down.

5,722 posts, read 5,803,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
This is what I hear also, they are boycotting USA
due to Trump .
Due to media misinformation and spin. Our own outlets can't even get the news right you think Europe is getting accurate info on the US? Doubtful.

It's honestly impossible to pinpoint how much of the reduction is pinnable on Trump.

6,822 posts, read 6,639,720 times
We need an economy that has more to it that being the tourism, consumer hogs of the world.

I'm sorry you and others can't see it.

Any real change to the issues bankrupting this nation is going to not be popular by some people. As with anything, the decline in tourism won't last forever.

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I won't be visiting Europe, especially France and Germany either. I was thinking a bout a cruise with one of the ports in Turkey but changed my mind because of the attacks.
Stay home.

We are planning a Italy & Greek Isle cruise.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:32 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,812,829 times
If the American economy is strong then the tourism here will rise due to Americans traveling within our own country. The other stuff will work itself out as to international travelers.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:34 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Tourists pass through US Customs and Immigrations, it's what it says right on the sign.
Yes, but the process is different for tourists and immigrants, been there, done that, in terms of the proclaimed "hassle." Upon immigrating to the US, we went were pulled into the back and detained while they went through some checks and questions regarding the immigration, took about an hour. I do not know if all immigrants go through this, but I know quite a few do.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:38 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,641,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Could you please explain where they got the impression they would be treated poorly? Poorly in what way and by who?
I think that is something you could research and report back with. I don't play the "task" game, if you really care I suggest you try hard to figure out why Mexicans might not want to visit a country whos leader defined them as rapists , thieves etc... or maybe you might research the global protests of trump's polices to see why they might not like the idea of bringing their kids through our borders...

Old 02-09-2017, 12:41 PM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Unless they have a stamp in their passport from one of the 7 countries why would this be a problem? The Visa Waiver Program is still in effect and their passport is all they need.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internati...waiver-program
Changing planes in the US is a hassle best avoided, and Visa Waiver these days requires ESTA (additional hassle).

I have a Green Card and I still plan travel specifically to have my final US destination also be my port of entry. The entire "get your luggage, now go through customs & immigrations, now recheck your luggage" dance is tiresome and error-prone.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:45 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times
Quote:
Well we heard that Hard bookings already declined a couple of percent, but it looks like it might be much worse .

Globally fight searches to the USA have fallen off a cliff, and the bad news is this is the busiest time of year for vacation bookings.

Overall we can see a 17% decline in searches for travel TO the USA! And remember Tourists are counted as exports in terms of deficit. A drop as high as 20% of tourists in FL would be a major disaster. Hopefully it will not be as bad and maybe visitors will come later, but it could be worse if Trump does not stop his crazy antics .

This is what happens when the world sees us as the bad guys, it could cost the economy billions if Trump does not do something to turn this around.

"""Hopper.com data revealed that searches dropped for U.S.-bound flights from 94 out of the 122 countries in the report. Curiously, the one place experiencing a sharp increase in demand for flight searches to the U.S. is Russia"""

International tourism’s value to the economy is also calculated as an export, so any reduction in tourists from overseas could also exacerbate the US’s trade deficit—exactly the opposite of Trump’s stated policy goals.

Analysis shows big decline in fare searches after Trump-ordered travel ban: Travel Weekly

https://qz.com/904883/the-effect-tru...nd-air-travel/

Trump Immigration Ban Decreases Flight Searches to U.S. | Money
Yeah that sounds about right. Whackadoodle foreign liberals and terrorists equals about 17%.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:46 PM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes, but the process is different for tourists and immigrants...
Obviously.

But when Germans state they don't want to deal with US immigration when in transit to the Bahamas, the meaning seems pretty clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies