Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 12:46 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
I think that is something you could research and report back with. I don't play the "task" game, if you really care I suggest you try hard to figure out why Mexicans might not want to visit a country whos leader defined them as rapists , thieves etc... or maybe you might research the global protests of trump's polices to see why they might not like the idea of bringing their kids through our borders...
Still did not answer the poster's question; how do they perceive they will be treated poorly? You are the one that made the claim.

Still, millions of tourists will visit the US this year, if Trump and his policies were such an issue, there would be merely a few thousand tourists at the most, like North Korea. But millions of people will come visit here, and many more will immigrate, apply for immigration, illegally enter, stay past their visa, and apply for refugee status.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Changing planes in the US is a hassle best avoided, and Visa Waiver these days requires ESTA (additional hassle).

I have a Green Card and I still plan travel specifically to have my final US destination also be my port of entry. The entire "get your luggage, now go through customs & immigrations, now recheck your luggage" dance is tiresome and error-prone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Obviously.

But when Germans state they don't want to deal with US immigration when in transit to the Bahamas, the meaning seems pretty clear.
The baggage thing is annoying and ridiculous. But the premises of the thread is "Trump caused this", but in fact nothing at all has changed. Your stating the Germans want to avoid the US implies it is because of Trump and some policy that does not exist that would add more hassle.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:52 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,917,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
only liberals would celebrate this...
More like, only idiots would celebrate this. This is very bad.

Thankfully, I don't think it's a permanent issue - we can certainly fix it. But it'll likely take a long time.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:54 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Still did not answer the poster's question; how do they perceive they will be treated poorly? You are the one that made the claim.

Still, millions of tourists will visit the US this year, if Trump and his policies were such an issue, there would be merely a few thousand tourists at the most, like North Korea. But millions of people will come visit here, and many more will immigrate, apply for immigration, illegally enter, stay past their visa, and apply for refugee status.
I think you simply need to do exactly what I suggested the questioner do. Simply review international coverage of Trump.

That is literally all you need to do. There are thousands of media reports from nations around the globe where they describe Trump in very negative terms. I am not suggesting you need to believe it, I am not suggesting you need to like it . But it is patently clear Trump has NOT endeared himself to virtually any group of people outside of Russia and GOP, Trumpers and KKK styled racists.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:00 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
This is what I hear also, they are boycotting USA
due to Trump .
Google shows us the "Travel Warnings" to various countries ...... and there are some Warnings for travel to the USA. Not a single one of them has anything to do with Trump.

Warnings are about the Riots, the Terror shootings in Florida, gun violence in General and the Zika Virus.
All of them were for June, July, August ..... 2016.

IF some Foreign Tourists are now afraid to travel to the USA because the vetting at Airports might be stricter -- that's a good thing. Tourists don't worry about passing through Customs, criminals and those who intend to break Laws DO worry about those things.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I think you simply need to do exactly what I suggested the questioner do. Simply review international coverage of Trump.

That is literally all you need to do. There are thousands of media reports from nations around the globe where they describe Trump in very negative terms. I am not suggesting you need to believe it, I am not suggesting you need to like it . But it is patently clear Trump has NOT endeared himself to virtually any group of people outside of Russia and GOP, Trumpers and KKK styled racists.
If someone is so simple minded to actually be influenced by coverage of Trump, then I do not know what to say, except feel sorry for them. I cannot imagine altering vacation plans because some country elected a person in which I disagree with their policies. Hell, I was just in Turkey and I disagree with about everything Erdogan does, but I know none of it impacts me.

Putin is hardly known for being a swell guy, yet Russia get plenty of tourism including me. Same goes for China.

But goodness, if someone wants to cancel their Miami Beach vacation because Trump was elected, and enacts (or attempts to) policies which do not impact them at all, well, all the power to them. Stupid thing to do, but it is their right to do it.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:03 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,490,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
If the American economy is strong then the tourism here will rise due to Americans traveling within our own country. The other stuff will work itself out as to international travelers.
Right on! We'll fill in that missing spot at Disney from some disgruntled foreigner. Less time to wait for rides too (I hope).

Old 02-09-2017, 01:07 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,430,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Not to mention the left leaning media that continues to spew lies and one sided stories.
It's really a shame that an independent media cannot just blindly support an administration instead of looking for things it might be doing wrong all the time. What do they think they are, watchdogs?

Old 02-09-2017, 01:20 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
If someone is so simple minded to actually be influenced by coverage of Trump, then I do not know what to say, except feel sorry for them. I cannot imagine altering vacation plans because some country elected a person in which I disagree with their policies. Hell, I was just in Turkey and I disagree with about everything Erdogan does, but I know none of it impacts me.

Putin is hardly known for being a swell guy, yet Russia get plenty of tourism including me. Same goes for China.

But goodness, if someone wants to cancel their Miami Beach vacation because Trump was elected, and enacts (or attempts to) policies which do not impact them at all, well, all the power to them. Stupid thing to do, but it is their right to do it.
I think you are simply failing to understand how leisure travel works.

it is aspirational , it provides status, it is a product it is a brand. To sell your product you have to build desire, you lose that when you leader in on international television making racist comments, you lose vast numbers when international viewers see people crying in airports. And not American airports but their own. people were turned back in many dozens of nations, you hardly thought they would all be traveling directly from their home countries.... You lose those clients when they feel unwelcome.

I know you feel the need to pretend Trump can do no wrong, but I am sorry to tell you , his failure to placate , his fail to meet in the middle his failure to present himself on the international stage as a man of reason and diplomacy is right at the root of this.

Trump sold himself as man who believes Mexico is a nation of rapists and thieves, it worked he got the big chair, but the cost might be our international reputation as a warm and welcoming nation...

Old 02-09-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I think you are simply failing to understand how leisure travel works.

it is aspirational , it provides status, it is a product it is a brand. To sell your product you have to build desire, you lose that when you leader in on international television making racist comments, you lose vast numbers when international viewers see people crying in airports. And not American airports but their own. people were turned back in many dozens of nations, you hardly thought they would all be traveling directly from their home countries.... You lose those clients when they feel unwelcome.

I know you feel the need to pretend Trump can do no wrong, but I am sorry to tell you , his failure to placate , his fail to meet in the middle his failure to present himself on the international stage as a man of reason and diplomacy is right at the root of this.

Trump sold himself as man who believes Mexico is a nation of rapists and thieves, it worked he got the big chair, but the cost might be our international reputation as a warm and welcoming nation...
I vote for Hillary and do not like Trump, but thanks for trying to speak for me.

It seems you are only projecting what you think it "ought" to be, not how it is. Politics do not play a significant role in tourism, but actions do. The numerous protests you see around the US, including at airports in my opinion would play a much larger role in a tourism decline, if there is one, than anything Trump has done so far.

Despite the autocratic nature of Erdogan, Turkey's tourism did not suffer until the recent escalation of terror attacks and the coup; actions are the largest influence. If crappy politics were a major factor, then China, Russia, and not even Mexico would be in the top 10.

Many people are denied entry into the US every day, I have an entire part of my family that has been denied time and time again a visa to come to the US. So this whole "... see people crying in airports. And not American airports but their own. people were turned back in many dozens of nations..." is not new, and did not start under Trump; many people are denied visas to travel to the US each year; no care for them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies