Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2017, 11:43 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
False. The Republican Party is stronger than ever: the Republicans just took a significant voting bloc away from the Democrats: the Northern White Working Class (NWWC).

Back in the day, Richard Nixon used the Southern Strategy to expand the Republican base. He attracted the Southern White Working Class (SWWC), which was alienated by LBJ's Civil Rights legislation, to the Republican Party.

Trump used a similar strategy: he found a voting bloc that was alienated by the Democrats (the NWWC) and attracted them to the Republican fold. The NWWC has been destroyed by illegal immigration and neoliberalism, two policies that the modern Democrats fully support.

The New Deal Coalition is officially dead: the White Working Class is now Republican.

Will the Republicans actually do anything to improve the lives of the WWC? Hell no. But politics is politics.
Reagan won that too in 1980, more so in 1984, then H.W. Bush won similarly in 1988. However Reaganomics came crashing down under H.W. Bush. He raised taxes while saving those hurt from the S&L Crisis, but he had a pretty harmful recession in 1991-2, going into his re-election bid. He even had a far right challenge in Pat Buchanan. Bush lost in 1992 due to that, B. Clinton's southern Democrat policies (nowhere near "coastal liberals" are/was) and a little bit of Merit (even though he siphoned support from Clinton as much as he did Bush.)

Honestly, Democrats might need to look not at an establishment Democrat or a Massachusetts one (sorry Warren) but rather one who is more conservative and from the south. Sadly the Tea Party has taken a lot of this away whether it is Pre-ACA or post.

FYI, I truly think Bernie could have beaten Trump, but sadly he couldn't get enough wins and knockouts on Clinton at that to eliminate the Super-Delegate issue. I say this as an independent voter who would have voted JEB, Kaisch or Christie over H. Clinton or Sanders over any Republican, especially Cruz, Paul and Trump.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:45 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,394,692 times
Trump's views on immigration are def. not liberal. Liberals want poor illegal immigrants to come here, and give them amnesty because a majority of them will end up voting Democrats.

Illegal immigration changed California from a Republican state 30 years ago to what it is today. The party wants to repeat this on a national level.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:46 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Trump's views on immigration are def. not liberal. Liberals want poor illegal immigrants to come here, and give them amnesty because a majority of them will end up voting Democrats.
This is false, at least it is for me.....

Old 07-03-2017, 11:47 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,456,873 times
Quote:
Seems like all you do is insult people on here.

You wanted them to make a choice that helps your liberal pro-abortion candidate get elected. You are frustrated that they aren't dumb.
actually I'm quite capable of rational discourse, however when I see posters unable to engage at a middle school level of debate I tend to get aggravated when I realize that their votes count the same as mine, thus we've elected the host of the Apprentice as the leader of the free world.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
This is false, at least it is for me.....
You cannot deny that most Democrats oppose Trump especially on immigration. His views on immigration are the basis for their assertion he is a racist.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
actually I'm quite capable of rational discourse, however when I see posters unable to engage at a middle school level of debate I tend to get aggravated when I realize that their votes count the same as mine, thus we've elected the host of the Apprentice as the leader of the free world.
Ok. Middle school debate is you deciding you can control the terms of the debate. It doesn't work like that. Pointing out the election was a choice between two alternatives, and one of those alternatives (Hillary) was def. going to be pro-abortion, is a valid point.

Democrat party is welcomed to run a pro-life candidate but don't think any will get the nomination. If the party ran a candidate that was truly pro-life, then you would have a decent point.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Ok. Middle school debate is you deciding you can control the terms of the debate. It doesn't work like that. Pointing out the election was a choice between two alternatives, and one of those alternatives (Hillary) was def. going to be pro-abortion, is a valid point.

again, I simply posted a question/challenge to you- often done in debates btw...and you couldn't grasp/meet the challenge apparently. I simply asked for pro Trump arguments as to why a group who bases their entire world view on a moral compass diametrically to his everyday existence turned out in record numbers and all you do was mention Hillary. When I asked you to construct a case without mentioned her name, you couldn't go two sentences....that's not so much me attempting to control the terms of the debate but to ask you to put forth a level of critical thinking above something akin to "I know you are but what am I?" and you failed....

Old 07-03-2017, 11:57 AM

As I said, you want to control the terms of the debate. It doesn't work like that.

I love it when liberals want to decide for conservatives who they should vote for.

Again, you are obviously mad that pro-life people aren't dumb.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
As I said, you want to control the terms of the debate. It doesn't work like that.

I love it when liberals want to decide for conservatives who they should vote for.

Again, you are obviously mad that pro-life people aren't dumb.

again you couldn't answer my simple question and then dodged it with a weak-saurace cop-out. I wouldn't exactly go around calling wedge issue voters smart...and if I was one of them I wouldn't exactly go around calling others dumb.....

Old 07-03-2017, 12:02 PM

ok, as I've pointed out, all you do is insult people and act like you are smarter than people because you are a liberal.

Coping out would be to let you control the terms of the debate. You obviously can't refute my point that Hillary is very pro-choice and pro-PP. Generally in elections people are voting against one candidate as much as they voting for a candidate.

I don't understand how the abortion issue is a 'wedge' issue. It is no more a wedge issue than any other political issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies