Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 11:36 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
As a liberal, I have never understood why my fellow liberals are so eager to defend and protect members of a faith whose basic principles demand those very same liberals' conversion and/or destruction.

Say what you will about Christians, but today's Christians rarely demand that you convert on pain of death.
It could be because you draw conclusions based on facts, not feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 11:36 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Actually, that isn't what they are saying.

What they are saying is that any peaceable person, regardless of religion, is welcome here.
Yep, this.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:47 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The UK is lost. They've chosen the diversity cult over their own lives. Due to arms superiority it'll muddle along but at its core its already dead.
Most western countries have diversity, it's not something unique to the UK or indeed unique to London.

As for terrorism, the last major terrorist attack was in 2005, which was 12 years ago, and before that in the 1990's when there was a terrorist bombing campaign. The truth being that the UK is now the subject of less terrorism than in previous decades and the same applies to many parts of Europe.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:48 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
That was my first question. I got 20 seconds in to it and thought, "Naw, looks staged". No proof this time, unlike their "live on scene coverage" the other day where they directed the "protesters" where to stand, etc, but I distrust CNN that much now.

For me, it's the fact that so many look directly at the camera. I'm just not buying this.
Not to mention that about 100 Muslims out of a Muslim population in the UK of about 2.6 million could be seen in that photo op.

It would not surprise me one bit if a poll found that a minimum of 20% of the UK Muslim population felt the terror attacks were justified.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:51 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,461 times
The only way to fix this problem is with more love and acceptance...............unicorns rainbows etc

Old 06-07-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
The only way to fix this problem is with more love and acceptance...............unicorns rainbows etc
The UK is not just talking about unicorns and rainbows, there's a serious debate going on behind the scenes.

Detain, deport, exclude: this is how Britain should respond to terror - Colonel Richard Kemp

Theresa May: Human rights laws could change for terror fight - BBC News

May: I'll rip up human rights laws that impede new terror legislation - Guardian

What are UK's options over human rights laws? - BBC News

Paul Nuttall: internment might be necessary to counter 'Islamist cancer' - Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Post

Theresa May said she would look at making it easier for Britain to deport foreign terror suspects.

But controversially, she also outlined increased controls on extremists who the security services think may present a threat to public safety, but where there is not enough evidence to prosecute them.

Following the London Bridge attack on Saturday, May said she aimed to get tough on terror with her "enough is enough" speech.

In Slough on Tuesday, she said her plans would mean longer prison sentences for people convicted of terrorist offences, and making it easier for the authorities to deport foreign terror suspects to their own countries.

"And I mean doing more to restrict the freedom and the movements of terrorist suspects when we have enough evidence to know they present a threat, but not enough evidence to prosecute them in full in court. And if human rights laws stop us from doing it, we will change those laws so we can do it," May added.

The Guardian newspaper commented that May's proposed measures appear to be an attempt at strengthening terrorism prevention and investigation measures rather than a complete return to control orders introduced by the last Labour government which were repeatedly struck down by judges in the British courts.

The publication said May's measures could involve further curfews, restrictions on association with other known extremists, controls on where they can travel and limits on access to communication devices.

Political commentators also said on Tuesday that although May's Conservative Party says it will not to withdraw from the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR), the party, if re-elected, could begin to try to replace or amend parts of the ECHR after Britain leaves the European Union.

Theresa May announces tough new proposals to tackle terrorism; may even update human rights laws

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-07-2017 at 12:25 PM..

Old 06-07-2017, 12:38 PM

31,074 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Most western countries have diversity, it's not something unique to the UK or indeed unique to London.

As for terrorism, the last major terrorist attack was in 2005, which was 12 years ago, and before that in the 1990's when there was a terrorist bombing campaign. The truth being that the UK is now the subject of less terrorism than in previous decades and the same applies to many parts of Europe.
Guess the other 2 Islamic attacks in thr last month weren't major. Guess they need a 911 or Lockerbee attack before it would be big enough to take notice

Old 06-07-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Guess the other 2 Islamic attacks in thr last month weren't major. Guess they need a 911 or Lockerbee attack before it would be big enough to take notice
I meant the one previous to the current attacks.

How many people are killed by terrorist attacks in the UK? - Telegraph

We have has 12 years without a major attack which is pretty good, in the IRA's heyday you could get numerous attacks in a single day in London.

As for taking notice see my previous post, number 127.

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-07-2017 at 12:55 PM..

Old 06-07-2017, 12:47 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
I'm just not that welcoming of religion at all. I don't really have a problem with Christians though even though crazy alt-right Christian whackjobs are going around stabbing people left and right, shooting up schools, flying planes into buildings. The key point is that they're crazy alt-right. The Christian part is more incidental.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:12 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Muslims who come out to honor the victims have my full respect.

Ethnic Englishmen who take it upon themselves to make the event about the Muslim honorers are despicable.

I understand they want to support the responsible members of society these Muslims are, but it is over the top signalling, and it even falls under rubric of bigotry of low expectations.

That all members of a society, regardless of religion or worldview, come out to honor the victims of terrorism should be expected, not a reason to stroke the Muslims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies