Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2017, 06:43 AM

235 posts, read 307,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Police are trained and retrained constantly so that they know what to do in a bad situation. The average person is not......they take a class, get a license, and then probably never fire the gun again. By the time they react to a problem, get the gun unholstered, figure out how to get the safety off, and aim it, they would have been killed. The myth that little church ladies will be able to protect themselves by being armed is just that, a myth.
I know it feels good to have posted that but actually that is totally false. Most police officers do not receive recurrent gun training. They will shoot a very small number of rounds to meet department guidelines and unless they are a gun enthusiast, they will not shoot again unless required to. Your average gun enthusiast shoots hundreds if not thousand of rounds a year. Many little church ladies attend extensive safety courses and defensive classes.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:45 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Yeah, I know, you and Rambo could stop any threat because you are proficient and armed.
"Any" threat, no. Some threats, yes. Some is better than none. Why, just today:

Quote:
Georgia Fugitives Captured by Homeowners

The homeowner called his neighbor and both men, each armed with a gun, confronted the fugitives.
Having lost their weapons in the crash, Dubose and Rowe surrendered, authorities said.
"I can't say enough about the bravery of the homeowner, and what they took on, the wherewithal to call us and give us the information so we could get over there and apprehend these two subjects," Fitzhugh said.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/16/us/geo...nhunt-capture/

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 06-16-2017 at 07:21 AM..

Old 06-16-2017, 07:07 AM

57,317 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I indicated that, comprehension problem?
No you were complaining about suicides being included in gun death statistics.

Also not quite sure what you mean by intellectual dishonesty, it is a chart??

Old 06-16-2017, 07:10 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I have to give them credit on this one. An lone, overweight, elderly man armed with a knife or baseball bat, running around a baseball field trying to attack Congresspeople probably young enough to be his children? Laughable, but put a gun in his hand and it is deadly.

THIS is the real issue, not politics, not religion, not even mental illness. Guns. Sorry, NRA, MORE guns are not the solution. "Rounding Third, Carrying an AK-47, and Headed for Home" ???????? NO, NRA. LESS guns is what is needed.

I am a Sanders supporter, who voted for Hillary. Senseless Violence, be that against a Democrat, Republican, Black Churchgoers, or School Children.

Eliminate the MEANS, and the Motive becomes Moot.
One cannot eliminate the means when MILLIONS are already owned and few if any would ever turn them if banned, I know that I would not.
Better idea, stop sweeping the major mental health crisis in this Nation under the rug.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:13 AM

57,317 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I should have said more constitutionalist
Most do not know this, but the NRA is the driving force for most of the gun legislation we have today.
They are not for the Constitutions version. They helped create the version of the 2nd amendment we have today. They are good at compromising your rights.

The 2017 version of the 2nd Amendment:

Militias are forbidden as the police state has replaced the free state, the privilege of citizens 21 years or older, who are non-felons and sworn mentally sane, may keep but not bear the small arms the federal or state government allows, this may be altered at a moments notice or whenever the government feels threatened by the people.
Even Scalia said that the 2nd amendment comes with restrictions, good luck finding a constitutionalist to the right of Scalia.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:15 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Yeah, I know, you and Rambo could stop any threat because you are proficient and armed.
At least they would stand a chance, you seem to be missing that point.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:23 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
"Any" threat, no. Some threats, yes. Some is better than none.

Here is my thinking. Would it be better to take your chances with some bad guy with a gun, or do you want 20 armed people spraying bullets all over the place, thinking they are shooting at the right person ? Can you imagine the chaos if a bunch of armed citizens started reacting to a threat and all of those bullets were flying around ?

I have guns myself, but I don't want to live in a world where everyone around me is packing heat, and most of them couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, especially in a panic situation.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:23 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,101,791 times
Quote:
One of the great myths is that Joe or Jane Average would be able to protect themselves by being armed, if a situation were to present itself. There was a program on TV one time where they tested how quickly and efficiently a class of armed people were able to react to a threat, and they all failed badly.

Police are trained and retrained constantly so that they know what to do in a bad situation. The average person is not......they take a class, get a license, and then probably never fire the gun again. By the time they react to a problem, get the gun unholstered, figure out how to get the safety off, and aim it, they would have been killed. The myth that little church ladies will be able to protect themselves by being armed is just that, a myth.

Here, I found a little video that is pretty interesting on that subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01Z2LLtw7U
Like the four New York's finest who shot innocent unarmed Amadou Diallo of the Bronx 41 times as he attempted to show them his ID. Four cops firing a total of 41 rounds (they actually managed to hit him with less than half of that number). And this is after 'constant training and re-training'? And there have been numerous similar cases in recent years of cops going ballistic with little or no justification. I have noticed that some of the same people who argue that law abiding citizens should be disarmed because "highly trained professionals" will protect them will argue out of the other side of their mouths that cops are racist thugs who can't be trusted to protect the public. Anti-gun left wingers need to get their story straight. And as for armed citizens not knowing how to de-activate a manual safety, very few people carry guns with safeties anyway. Usually revolvers or striker fired semi-autos which rarely have manual safeties. There are still a few old school folks out there who carry their 1911s "cocked and locked" and I can guarantee you they know how to remove the safety.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:24 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperparatus! View Post
I know it feels good to have posted that but actually that is totally false. Most police officers do not receive recurrent gun training. They will shoot a very small number of rounds to meet department guidelines and unless they are a gun enthusiast, they will not shoot again unless required to. Your average gun enthusiast shoots hundreds if not thousand of rounds a year. Many little church ladies attend extensive safety courses and defensive classes.

Word has it that the congressional shooter was also a 'gun enthusiast'.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:37 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
. Usually revolvers or striker fired semi-autos which rarely have manual safeties. There are still a few old school folks out there who carry their 1911s "cocked and locked" and I can guarantee you they know how to remove the safety.
I carry both a 1911 in 45 and a Glock in 9mm. Sometimes in 357sig.

The 1911, as I'm unholstering, I drop the safety. The moment that my hand has a hold of the grip, thumbs on the safety and its dropped.

He must assume we have hi points 😂 with chintzy safeties
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies