Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 03:28 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,554,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
It’s not a conservative or liberal issue. Look at Berkeley. Supposedly ground zero for free speech but if you’re conservative, you can’t speak there without a near riot by the liberal students.

The football players should be able to kneel and still keep their job. Conservatives should be able to speak wherever they want.

Both sides are wrong. If you don’t like the conservative don’t go to the speaking engagement. If you don’t like the player, don’t watch the game. But it’s wrong to try to stop the speech or get the players fired (or call them a son of a b****).

Neither side has the moral high ground.
I actually agree with this. But some of the conservatives here are attacking the very thing they claim to defend, and then they have the audacity to accuse the left of engaging in that same thing.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:29 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,710,889 times
Right? They truly do not know what they want.

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Now lets replace "football" with "bakery", "anthem" with "gay wedding cake", "football player" with "baker" and see who salutes lol
As owner of the league, the NFL has the right to dictate codes of conduct, same as the baker has the right to do so within his bakery.
Try to be consistent would ya?
Lets replace "football" with "confederate flag" and see who salutes, LOL.

Yes, the employer of these NFL players can restrict their behavior but not the government.

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
let's pretend on the lowball number the NFL losses 25% of their fans and revenues and NFL Sunday Ticket overall......the NFL will NOT be fine......try again.
Sunday Ticket might nor make as much but that don't mean the fans aren't watching. Maybe they are watching in market ot are season ticket holders. My father don't because he is a season ticket holder. He misses as few as six Sundays for home games.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:30 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,999 times
I think the tide is turning.

White folk are now supporting protesters right to protest (Chris Long, etc!)

Whole teams staying in the locker room during the anthem (Steelers!)

I think the anthem requirement is gonna get CBA'd out! For those who say that they will not watch football if that happens, just remember, the players are mostly black! One doesn't think the NFL wants to have a declining African-American player demographic, to the level of, say, MLB or the NHL! Something to consider......!

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I agree. They are so obsessed with their hatred of President Trump that it clouds their rationale to the degree they would hand our country over to someone like Kim. Their hatred for the United States of America has gone beyond any reasoning.
What, do you really believe that? I doubt very seriously anyone would want to do that. And you are now the second poster trying to connect the NFL situation to North Korea, wow. I remember many people on the right were obsessed with their hatred for Obama, that they praised Putin at every chance.

4,921 posts, read 7,694,341 times
As a veteran I believe that if you cannot respect your country then maybe you shouldn't be here.

What these players are doing is similar to a person being given a billion dollars to spend anyway they wish and then taking the check, spitting in the giver's face, and kicking him in the balls.

Yes all Americans have the right to believe as they wish but there is a right way to protest. Disrespecting the country that gives them that right is not only wrong but is treasonous.

My suggestion to the NFL players who disrespect America is to pool your money and buy a country in Africa and show us all how it's done.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:32 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,917,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
The vast majority of fans in the stands are white. Those fans are aging and shrinking in number. The same is true for cable subscribers.
I have never held a cable subscription in my life. I never plan to change that. I also make it a point to never support them for my internet (when possible).

People like me (millennials and younger) are the issue for cable companies...I am not an outlier.

I also don't really follow the NFL - but for reasons that have literally nothing to do with the OP.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:32 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,399,515 times
i dont kneel for anyone

Old 09-24-2017, 03:33 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Based on empty stands in many cases, 25% seems conservative and devastating.
I think that is a more economic issue of ticket prices than a politicized issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies