Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 04:07 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Rules View Post
That is absolutely false, that if they can kneel before Allah or any other distortion other than what the country was derived from, it's snow.

It's time that America was put first, not last by such an irreligious group of people who deserve to have behind their names all has $0.00's.
I love the backlash they generated which hurts their salaries up the road.

They are self-destructing.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:09 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,078,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
What is dumb about it? When you protest then you want as much exposure you can get. What would wearing a wist band accomplish? A Patriotic blackman sees so many black people getting shot often it is a cop murder. The patriotic blackman thinks the cop that just murdered that other black guy watches me play football but can murder me and get by with it.

Why shouldn't he protest? He is good enough o get paid millions as a athlete but a 18k per year county sheriff can kill him and just say "i felt my life was threatened" and then get he officer of the year award.

Why aren't you standing up for all of our rights as well? He is.
I could respect this if the players were calling attention to the number of murders in the black community in general. Let's talk about drug violence, gang violence, the number of children born out of wedlock, the percentage of blacks on welfare, how the education system isn't working in black communities, black "musicians" who glorify a violent culture...great, let's have a national discussion about that!

And IIRC, the whole original Kaepernick protest originated from "hands up, don't shoot" (?) which was a lie and never even happened?

The problem I have is ignoring all those problems while calling out that cop who is putting his life on the line every dang day for a measly $18 grand a year. And then saying the whole country is racist and you're so oppressed while you're collecting your obscenely huge paycheck so you can play ball on Sundays from August to January.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:09 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,247,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

What an idiot!
Please explain why he is an idiot. Were it me and i black or of color. I would feel like that with oppression i am nothing but an entertaining ****** for white people.

That is pretty much how trump and his ilk act.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:10 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Only upset people are mrT and the trumpettes - no one else

Old 09-24-2017, 04:11 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,924,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It takes NO courage to kneel or refuse to be present for the anthem. All the coward sheeples will do what their moronic teammates do, kneel or not show up.
You realize that, today, there were individuals who both stood and knelt during the anthem?
What makes one action "real courage" and the other "NO courage"

Old 09-24-2017, 04:13 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post

Second, nobody is saying there should be no consequences of exercising one's freedom of speech. If the NFL lets players make political statements on the field, and that results in a decrease in popularity for the game, then so be it. Likewise, Donald Trump can rant on his Twitter account all he wants, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be attacked for what he says.

I agree, and delight in reduced NFL ratings and attendance.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:13 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,146,625 times
Better solution: STOP PLAYING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM.

There is something offensively hypocritical about dragging in the national anthem - music that in theory deserves respect and calls us to something beyond our own personal petty lives - for something as mundane and low-brow as football.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:14 PM

16,606 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Whole NFL team to skip national anthem altogether | New York Post

Coach Tomlin says he won't play politics so they will skip the whole thing. Guess what? You just did play politics.

The team should be given a delay of game penalty and fined for not being on the field on game time ready to play as stated in the NFL rulebook. A forfeit would even be better.
These fools are going to cause more economic damage to the league (which pays their absurd salaries) than they have the intelligence to comprehend.
Now I didn't see the game, but I had heard their QB had told them earlier in the season, anyone disrespecting the flag was going to get their a$$ whooped by him.

Frankly, anyone whether it be an entertainer (like these guys are) or other profession willing to alienate customers, should be prohibited from damaging the company they work for.

No one said these fools cannot make asses of themselves on their own time, as they have all the free speech the Constitution gives to them as citizens of this great country.
However when they are at work, representing the team, owner, NFL, fans and city they play for, it is not the proper time or place to act the fool.

`

Old 09-24-2017, 04:14 PM

524 posts, read 252,361 times
What does the NFL have to do with Patriotism or politics? It is a throwback to the gladiator days of Rome. No coincidence that the country is falling like Rome.

A better question would be, who cares what these overpaid freaks care about and why should they? The NFL is a thoroughly sold-out organization and a shadow of its former self. The hype about this only makes America look dumber than it already looks.

Baseball is the real American sport and always will be. NFL football is an advertisement for corporations. College football is actually much better.

Last edited by Objective Detective; 09-24-2017 at 04:27 PM..

Old 09-24-2017, 04:15 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
The best thing to do is bench them all, replace all the coaches and keep personal politics off of the playing field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies