Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a business be able to deny service to a customer if the request conflicts with the owner’s re
Yes 105 54.12%
No 80 41.24%
Not sure 9 4.64%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 03:09 PM

20,494 posts, read 12,417,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
If the baker refused to bake a cake with a naked lady on it to anyone asking for it, that's not discrimination.
but that leads down a path... the issue is the bakers religious belief. If the baker believes the act is one that leads the baker to participate in the act of sin, then decides to refuse service, this has far reaching implications.

What does "participation" mean? this is the question.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:09 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,361,764 times
Quote:
Its not a fine. Its a civil debt. Its not owed to the State, its owed to the aggrieved party(s). Your mugging analogy suggests a complete lack of understanding of how the legal system works. If the defendant doesn't pay, the plaintiffs can chase them for their assets, levy bank accounts, garnish wages, foreclose on real property, but they have no right to resort to violence or imprisonment.

If the plaintiffs sent "men with guns" as you suggest in your scenario, the plaintiffs would be committing a crime (for which they could be imprisoned) and would be subject to civil damages payable to the defendant.

I think you've watched too many mob movies.
I get that it's not always that straightforward, but at the most basic level, if you don't back up a law with the threat of force, it's pointless. You can say "you owe a debt to the aggrieved party", but what will that do? I'd just say...nah.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:14 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,599,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I get that it's not always that straightforward, but at the most basic level, if you don't back up a law with the threat of force, it's pointless. You can say "you owe a debt to the aggrieved party", but what will that do? I'd just say...nah.
Actually, you can. You just have to deal with the repercussions of owing a debt. Credit score damage, bank levies, investigators tracking you, you cannot sell your real property without paying it off, etc. But, in theory, yes you could just say "nah". It happens all the time. There are a lot of judgment-proof people out there in this very position.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:19 PM

1,235 posts, read 734,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Exactly. Which is what businesses refusing to serve African Americans back in the Jim Crow era didn't get - black citizens had to pay taxes like anyone else in the community that benefited racist business owners yet they couldn't have the opportunity to patronize or make use of their services.
Yes, the same premise applies to this religious test.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Should a business be able to deny service to a customer if the request conflicts with the owner’s religious beliefs?

Here's the problem: snowflake bakers get all offended when a gay couple want a cake.
There is no conflict with beliefs. It's a cake.
Selling a cake for money doesn't endorse the wedding or conflict with the baker's beliefs. It's a cake.
Just take the money and bake the cake.
It's a business transaction, not a life-changing alteration of beliefs.
Jeez.
I agree wholeheartedly!

Old 08-09-2017, 03:28 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,361,764 times
Quote:
Actually, you can. You just have to deal with the repercussions of owing a debt. Credit score damage, bank levies, investigators tracking you, you cannot sell your real property without paying it off, etc. But, in theory, yes you could just say "nah". It happens all the time. There are a lot of judgment-proof people out there in this very position.
Alright, so no direct violence if they can seize my money or assets without my being able to defend against them. I won't get into the entire philosophy of property, but your property is an extension of your self-ownership, which essentially makes theft or fraud an attack on you...not directly, but there's a philosophical argument that theft is violence. Either way, I guess you're correct that men with guns won't be sent.

Not to overcomplicate things, but I would add that I would consider that theft and the person would have the right to take back their money or assets, and that would likely turn violent. Not saying they necessarily should try it, but I wouldn't consider them the bad guy.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
We can regulate ourselves privately. That's all I'm saying. You don't need an involuntary 3rd party to settle your disputes.

Resolution councils can hear cases as needed.
Wouldn't a resolution counsel be a third party?

Old 08-09-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
As long as it's their property, yes.

Now, if you had signed some sort of contract with them for the event, they would need to liable for damages.
There are a couple of ways to have a "contract." Implied, Written, Verbal.

A contract is a "meeting of the minds" surrounding services, goods and expectations.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yeah it's funny that anyone should think that by threatening business owners with violence if they dont serve everyone, that discrimination has been eliminated and prejudices abolished.
Who said anything about violence? Can you explain? Thanks!

Old 08-09-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teplimey View Post
its not a fine. Its a civil debt. Its not owed to the state, its owed to the aggrieved party(s). Your mugging analogy suggests a complete lack of understanding of how the legal system works. If the defendant doesn't pay, the plaintiffs can chase them for their assets, levy bank accounts, garnish wages, foreclose on real property, but they have no right to resort to violence or imprisonment.

If the plaintiffs sent "men with guns" as you suggest in your scenario, the plaintiffs would be committing a crime (for which they could be imprisoned) and would be subject to civil damages payable to the defendant.

I think you've watched too many mob movies.
Agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.