Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2017, 12:39 PM

1,348 posts, read 792,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I am still waiting for you to present the demonstration of my racism via my post.
And we are still waiting for you to admit your self-inflicted victim mentality.

You would be far better off working on that handicap than in attempting to perpetuate what are largely political and media myths. Continuing to beat the "racism" drum will result in nothing positive (that should be clear by now) and you'll still have your victim viewpoint to overcome. Dealing with that would be a positive investment of time and energy.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:54 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
And we are still waiting for you to admit your self-inflicted victim mentality.

You would be far better off working on that handicap than in attempting to perpetuate what are largely political and media myths. Continuing to beat the "racism" drum will result in nothing positive (that should be clear by now) and you'll still have your victim viewpoint to overcome. Dealing with that would be a positive investment of time and energy.
I don't see myself as a victim. I have my health. I have a beautiful wife and children. Our household income is in the 80th percentile. My kids are strait A students and just as good athletes, competing nationally. I travel. I have good friends. Life is good.

Secondly, I understand your point of view. I understand to people like you, TRUTH cannot be racism. In fact, I agree that a TRUTH is inherently free of bias and prejudice. The problem is that what you think is a TRUTH is nothing more than a belief and that belief is that the socioeconomic inferiority of black people has nothing to do with racism and its history, but rather, its the resultant of the natural inferiority of black people. This belief of yours and many others, you see as a TRUTH.

Since you see black inferiority as a TRUTH, you therefore see the focus on racism as a distraction or MYTH, if you will. What you do not understand is that a victim viewpoint is just as likely to energize effort as it is to deflate it. I have always been motivated to achieve given the history of my ancestors. In fact, I think blacks achieved more when they have this mindset than when they don't. Everyone needs a purpose in life that extends beyond oneself.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:59 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,329,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I think you are wrong and current experiments are proving so.

But "instinct" is a fuzzy term. You'd have to be more specific.

BUT -
"New research suggests that experiencing intense psychological trauma may have a genetic impact on a person’s future children.

A study examining the DNA of Holocaust survivors and their children found similar variations from the norm in both generations for the gene associated with depression and anxiety disorders. The findings imply that children of individuals who experience profound stress in life may be more likely to develop stress or anxiety disorders themselves.

The pattern — known as an epigenetic change because it affects the chemical marker for the gene rather than the gene itself — suggests that profound stress in the older generation translated into an adaptation that passed on to the next, said Dr. Rachel Yehuda, director of Mount Sinai’s Traumatic Stress Studies Division and leader of the study."

I'd say you are "owned" on this particular science unless you want to start claiming science is BS.
great post. I love it.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I agree with what you have just said....100%!!!

By default, people will look at the world in its current state, minus the context of history, and likely conclude that the world order is the result of Darwin's theory of the survival of the fittest. Those groups on top are naturally assumed to be their because they are superior and those at the bottom are naturally assumed to be inferior.

This is why CONTEXT is so important. History represents CONTEXT for the present. It provides an EXPLANATION/CAUSATION for the OBSERVATION of the present.

Think about this for a second. Try to explain the black condition of socioeconomic inequality assuming that blacks are totally equivalent to whites in their abilities and capacities. Meaning that that blacks ability to make choices is no better or worse than whites, that blacks have a natural tendency to work just as hard as whites, that blacks have a natural tendency to be as non violent as whites, that blacks have a natural ability to be as responsible, good parents, etc, etc.

What would then explain the different racial socioeconomic outcomes? Anyone can feel free to answer.
CONTEXT is exactly what I've boiled most of my rants down to when discussion things like this. People leave out hundreds of years of context in order for their still-flawed logic to even take legs.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:08 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Why do white conservatives deny racism exists? For the same reason that Wall Street bankers deny insider trading exists.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:11 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
I agree with what you have just said....100%!!!

By default, people will look at the world in its current state, minus the context of history, and likely conclude that the world order is the result of Darwin's theory of the survival of the fittest. Those groups on top are naturally assumed to be their because they are superior and those at the bottom are naturally assumed to be inferior.

This is why CONTEXT is so important. History represents CONTEXT for the present. It provides an EXPLANATION/CAUSATION for the OBSERVATION of the present.

Think about this for a second. Try to explain the black condition of socioeconomic inequality assuming that blacks are totally equivalent to whites in their abilities and capacities. Meaning that that blacks ability to make choices is no better or worse than whites, that blacks have a natural tendency to work just as hard as whites, that blacks have a natural tendency to be as non violent as whites, that blacks have a natural ability to be as responsible, good parents, etc, etc.

What would then explain the different racial socioeconomic outcomes? Anyone can feel free to answer.
Easy enough. Single parenthood. Close to 70% of black households are of single parents. For hispanics it's ~40%, for whites ~25%, for asians ~15%.

We know if someone finishes high school, works a fulltime job, and waits until they are 21 to marry and have kids their sucess rate of getting to the middle class jumps to 75 percent.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
The key word I was responding to is "Systemic". Affirmative Action was implemented to help blacks. Are you implying that a few "token" whites took advantage? You may not have used the word, token, but you are pretty much saying that. Does that make you a racist? See how that works?
The key word is "exclusive"...affirmative action was never EXCLUSIVE to blacks. People of ALL RACES benefitted from it. Including whites. By your logic, you should be against any effort to make America environmentality greener because it might help some blacks. And you are wrong that "Affirmative Action was implemented to help blacks."

From the National Conference of State Legislatures:

Quote:
In institutions of higher education, affirmative action refers to admission policies that provide equal access to education for those groups that have been historically excluded or underrepresented, such as women and minorities.

Poor white males even fall into this. There is nothing about EXCLUSIVITY to black anywhere in affirmative action.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:13 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
CONTEXT is exactly what I've boiled most of my rants down to when discussion things like this. People leave out hundreds of years of context in order for their still-flawed logic to even take legs.
Hundreds of years? Your inability to locate the cause of problems is mind boggling.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:13 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,341 times
It's not just white conservatives who deny it exists. Some liberals of all stripes deny it exists - I was one of them, until i saw it. I can see why someone would think "racism is in the past, today no one actually thinks those things" because you usually don't see it out in the open (especially in multicultural areas).

Old 09-08-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Easy enough. Single parenthood. Close to 70% of black households are of single parents. For hispanics it's ~40%, for whites ~25%, for asians ~15%.

We know if someone finishes high school, works a fulltime job, and waits until they are 21 to marry and have kids their sucess rate of getting to the middle class jumps to 75 percent.
The CONTEXT that you choose to ignore is that none of those groups arrived in the US the same way blacks did. And none of those groups have had the exact same collective experiences as blacks. CONTEXT. The fact that yall see this really clear cut issue with context, and STILL just tap-dance around it is amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies