Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 06:53 AM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times

Advertisements

I actually agree the lawsuit is pretty silly, but I would never want to bar them from filing the lawsuit in the first place, even if I disagreed with what they were suing about. Some people here, yourself included, seem to think it is wrong of them to file it in the first place. Why so? If indeed the lawsuit is silly and the state is complaining about things they have no jurisdiction over, then the courts will (eventually, at least) also come to that conclusion and dismiss the lawsuit. On the other hand, perhaps the state of California is correct, and ...
Quote:
Becerra's latest lawsuit charged that the Trump administration "violated the U.S. Constitution, failed to comply with federal and state environmental laws, and relied on a federal statute that does not authorize the proposed projects."
... in which case the courts will (eventually, at least) decide the state is correct, though I'm not sure what the remedy is supposed to be in that case.

Let them file their lawsuit and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 08:21 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,286,736 times
Because it's irresponsible spending of money and time that could be used for something actually useful (and legal). We as citizens gave powers to politicians to spend our money and enact policies in citizens best interest. Instead they are starting meaningless fights with the fed.gov to gain votes so they can stay in power.

They are setting aside 30 million to help protect illegal aliens, people that are not even supposed to be in this country. On the other hand we have a severe homeless situation, I bet they could 30 million but they don't vote.

Last edited by BB_210; 09-22-2017 at 08:59 AM..

Old 09-22-2017, 08:25 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
These people are hell bent on allowing in as many third world illegal immigrants as possible. When California becomes the hell hole it's importing and bankrupts itself with reckless fiscal irresponsibility these people will be fleeing to more stable states. Something needs to be done about this state. The elites want their slave labor and the Dems want their votes. Why aren't their working class CITIZENS speaking up?

California suing Trump over border wall, escalating battle with White House | Fox News
Bankruptcies and financial responsibilities are usually from the North East.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:44 AM

768 posts, read 718,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
California's GDP is greater than at least 15 red states combined
So that makes it okay to ignore our Constitution?

Old 09-22-2017, 09:06 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Because it's irresponsible spending of money and time that could be used for something actually useful (and legal). We as citizens gave powers to politicians to spend our money and enact policies in citizens best interest. Instead they are starting meaningless fights with the fed.gov to gain votes so they can stay in power.

They are setting aside 30 million to help protect illegal aliens, people that are not even supposed to be in this country. On the other hand we have a severe homeless situation, I bet they could 30 million but they don't vote.
When it comes to California, “responsible” and “money” usually aren’t used in the same sentence.

On the other hand “illegal aliens” and “advocates” go together here as well as “politicians” and “insane”.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:06 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,865,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
What's your deal with Wichita? How many threads have you had with CA bashing and Wichita defense?

Different people have different priorities. I don't need a big house - - I live in the city with the best weather in the United States. Why would I want to be inside all of the time? I live six blocks from the beach - - I'm a professor, my wife is a high school teacher, and we have two kids. We're not in debt, we're saving money, and we're nowhere near the super elite. It's not that terribly hard to do.
Hepatitis A outbreak in San Diego County kills 16 - CNN

Warm weather is nice but so is a healthy city without rampant third-world outbreaks of disease.

Unlike San Diego which has a public health emergency due to ignoring the homeless and third-world population, Wichita only has 39 chronically homeless and no public health emergencies.

Better to be healthy in a city with a cold winter like Wichita as opposed to constant third-world diseases and hundreds of thousands coming from the third-world spreading who knows what like in San Diego.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.6838...7i13312!8i6656

This is just a random picture of a Wichita neighborhood with working-class homes. Huge lots, looks very clean and I don't see any litter.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:12 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,782,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
If you would study the Constitution and realize exactly what it is, a contract between the States which created the Federal Government, and in doing so, the States delegated certain powers to the Federal Government, you would understand that what I said is true.

California cannot, nor any other State, make their own immigration and naturalization policies. Such policies violate the Constitution, which delegated that authority to the Federal Government alone, so that such policies would be "uniform."

Illegal aliens must not be treated differently in one state than they are in another. They must not be issued a drivers license in one state, which, being illegal, would then be forced by other states to be recognized. And if California went even further, and granted them all rights of citizenship, that too would require other states to recognize those rights.

Can you begin to see the problem? That is why immigration policy was delegated to the Federal Government alone. All states must comply with Federal Law.

As regards the border wall, it is the responsibility of the Federal Government to secure our borders. California has no choice in the matter. U.S. Border Security is not under the authority of the State of California. They may have no say in the matter. Their lawsuit is frivolous and without merit.
The word “immigration” does not appear in the U.S. Constitution or any of its Amendments

Old 09-22-2017, 11:17 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I agree that blue metro areas that tend have more post-graduate degrees per capita than red metro areas.
This really doesn't mean that much as you said, someone that is a RN in a small college city like Morgantown, WV is probably living a higher quality of life than a lot of people with post grad degrees in the large metros on the coast. I have looked into moving to CA but you just don't get enough bang for your buck even in the exurbs of the major cities.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:29 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Hepatitis A outbreak in San Diego County kills 16 - CNN

Warm weather is nice but so is a healthy city without rampant third-world outbreaks of disease.

Unlike San Diego which has a public health emergency due to ignoring the homeless and third-world population, Wichita only has 39 chronically homeless and no public health emergencies.

Better to be healthy in a city with a cold winter like Wichita as opposed to constant third-world diseases and hundreds of thousands coming from the third-world spreading who knows what like in San Diego.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.6838...7i13312!8i6656

This is just a random picture of a Wichita neighborhood with working-class homes. Huge lots, looks very clean and I don't see any litter.
It's from our increasing homeless population. And, no, that wouldn't make me live in Wichita.

You take yours and I'll take mine.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:36 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
This really doesn't mean that much as you said, someone that is a RN in a small college city like Morgantown, WV is probably living a higher quality of life than a lot of people with post grad degrees in the large metros on the coast. I have looked into moving to CA but you just don't get enough bang for your buck even in the exurbs of the major cities.
Depends on your field. My field pays 50% more in the Bay Area compared to here in Phoenix, and with only a 30% higher COL (if housing is kept to 30% of your household budget). Even after taxes, I would come out ahead there. SoCal is a different story though. Only 20% higher wages with the 30% higher COL in greater LA, so I would lower my standard of living there compared to the Bay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies