Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 04:16 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Goodness gracious. America has ALWAYS had first gen immigrants who had difficulty mastering the English language and/or had heavy accents. This is nothing new.
No, a lot is different. Today it is accepted, and promoted. There are a lot of signs, and literature in multiple languages. Go to some ATM machines, and you will get prompted for several different languages. This just encourages people NOT to learn English, and keeps them at a disadvantage socially, and economically.

Pres 1 for English, 2 for Spanish........ People that believe as you do are holding people back. Liberal/Progressives never think of the unintended consequences. You think you are being nice, but what these people really need is PRESSURE, and INCENTIVE to learn English, and you are holding that back, and doing them a disservice. If you don't speak English well in America you will make less money. Does that "feel" good to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 04:34 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
No, a lot is different. Today it is accepted, and promoted. There are a lot of signs, and literature in multiple languages. Go to some ATM machines, and you will get prompted for several different languages. This just encourages people NOT to learn English, and keeps them at a disadvantage socially, and economically.

Pres 1 for English, 2 for Spanish........ People that believe as you do are holding people back. Liberal/Progressives never think of the unintended consequences. You think you are being nice, but what these people really need is PRESSURE, and INCENTIVE to learn English, and you are holding that back, and doing them a disservice. If you don't speak English well in America you will make less money. Does that "feel" good to you?
It was accepted back then too. Its a myth that first gen immigrants spoke English or even learned it upon reaching our shores. Additionally, many countries in this world accept multilingual societies. They have signs in 2, 3 or more languages. Why would that bother someone?

It has nothing to do with ME feeling good. I speak English and hearing foreign languages doesn't send me cowering in my closet wondering whatever happened to the "Good Old Days." I have more important things to focus my energy on.

Lastly, you assume that those who speak a foreign language CAN'T speak English. Why is that?

Here in PA, I remember older generations of people speaking Polish, German, Italian and Swedish. And these people were often 2nd gen immigrants. Seriously, WHO CARES?

Old 10-19-2017, 04:37 AM

Good reading for some of my friends here:

Study debunks myth that early immigrants quickly learned English

Old 10-19-2017, 04:59 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
One of the students in question is currently learning a third language - French. I wonder if ole teach' would have had her panties in a twist if the kids were speaking that language instead of Spanish. Bet not.
And I wonder if social media would have their "panties in a twist" if the kids who were corrected were speaking a language other than Spanish. Bet Not

Old 10-19-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
And I wonder if social media would have their "panties in a twist" if the kids who were corrected were speaking a language other than Spanish. Bet Not
Why would you think that?

Those of us perturbed by this teacher feel as such due to her inability to address a behavioral disruption. Apparently the language they speak is more important than their behavior.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:03 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
The company was smart to not enforce the rule. That rule is illegal. And rightfully so.

From the EEOC:

No, actually your link proves my point. The company did nothing illegal by requiring their employees to speak English while on the clock. I already said that they made the exception of breaks and lunches. Did you miss that? It is legal to make that rule when safety is being considered among other things. No, the company was not smart to not enforce their own rule. Why make a rule you aren't going to enforce it? It was rude and arrogant for those Spanish speaking employees to rip the rule off the bulletin board also.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
1. Then address the behavior, not the language being spoken.

2. Spanish is very divisive? Uh no. Its a centuries old language. Just because some people don't like it because it hurts their poor wittle 'Murican feelings doesn't change that fact.

3. My son goes to a school with a high proportion of Latin and Hispanic kids. Nearly all of them can speak both Spanish and English fluently. They are TRULY bilingual even if they do choose to speak Spanish between themselves.

1. The bad behavior "was" speaking in a foreign language at an inappropriate time.

2. It's not just speaking Spanish that is divisive at certain times. Your sarcastic remark is duly noted and 'Murican is offensive.

3. Nothing wrong with being bi-lingual or speaking a foreign language in private but not while class is in session. You fail to grasp that.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:18 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,221,392 times
GRE (graduate record exam), LSAT(Law School Admission Test), and the USMLE (US Medical Licensing Exam) exams are all conducted in English. All three of these exams are keys not only to the American dream but a superior standard of living.

As an Italian American who grew up in an Italian enclave in New York City, I must say that in those households where only Italian was spoken, the difficulties of rising above blue collar were tremendous. My parents both spoke English but being blue collar the kind of vocabulary that was used in our home was never at a college level. There was one important difference between Italian Americans and Hispanic Americans. The Italians wanted to assimilate. I believe that Hispanics want to maintain a permanent Hispanic culture in America. This may cause many of them to be a permanent underclass. Hispanics who have risen above the blue collar frame of mind know where I'm coming from.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:25 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Ideally, the English that should be encouraged during school hours is Business English. Keep the dialects for outside of school. Formal Business English is the language of business and science all over the world. If you want your children to be able to compete in the global workplace and be respected by all, they need to be able to speak and write Business English.

Quote:
Its ALL English with different accents. Shall we start qualify English "dialects" here in America? I speak Northern US English but my friend in Texas speaks South Central US English. However, my cousin in Cali, she speaks West Coast English.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
GRE (graduate record exam), LSAT(Law School Admission Test, and the USMLE (US Medical Licensing Exam) exams are all conducted in English. All three of these exams are keys not only to the American dream but a superior standard of living.

As an Italian American who grew up in an Italian enclave in New York City, I must say that in those households where only Italian was spoken, the difficulties of rising above blue collar were tremendous. My parents both spoke English but being blue collar the kind of vocabulary that was used in our home was never at a college level. There was one important difference between Italian Americans and Hispanic Americans. The Italians wanted to assimilate. I believe that Hispanics want to maintain a permanent Hispanic culture in America. This may cause many of them to be a permanent underclass. Hispanics who have risen above the blue collar frame of mind know where I'm coming from.

Agreed, and have you ever heard of "Reconquista"? It's happening by too much legal and illegal immigration from that ethnic group. Colonization is happening not assimilation. What happened to diversity? Early immigration was from several countries in Europe with different cultures and languages. They assimilated into the melting pot and adopted our culture and the English language. What's the blessing of being bi-lingual if you refuse to speak English out in public much of the time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies