Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2017, 09:55 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
And I accepted the outcome, and didn't whine, and complain for eight years about the election. My point was that Metro Areas, including their surrounding suburbs are now largely Democrat, and Progressive. They shouldn't have the power to rule the entire country because of their mass insanity.
Rural people have their own insanity, as in not allowing liquor by the drink to be legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 09:59 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
PS. Sorry, but I couldn't help but say one thing. I'm assuming that you would frown upon "creationism" being taught in school. But I'd bet you would have no problem with the "Big Bang" theory being taught to your kids as if it was a known fact. You see, I have a problem with that sort of thinking, because the bottom line is, both creationism and the "Big Bang" are theories, nothing more. Scientists can no more absolutely say the "Big Bang" happened than they can say there absolutely is no God. I'm sorry, but just because one theory sounds more scientific than the other should not negate the fact that neither are proven fact. Both ideas are theories and should be treated as such.
Wrong. The scientific definition of "theory" is different than the common definition of the word. A theory in a scientific sense is more than just a guess. Evolution fits the scientific definition while creationism does not. For context, gravity is also a scientific theory.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:07 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Have to agree to a point. Funny thing is, for some reason they want to think it's all Christians who voted for Trump. I'm a country loving, horseback riding, dog loving, moonshine drinking kind of girl who is actually an atheist. I have been a long time democrat, but when I seen that they were trying to push legislation to push the rural and farm home owners off their lands to make wave for huge gated communities, plus take away my guns so I can't defend myself out here in the middle of nowhere, I had to tell the dems to F off, and I voted for Trump.
i get this, sort of why i almost did not vote for hillary. the democrats are getting too tied to corporations and big money interests that are pro-development, pro-gentrification, pro-globalization. at the same time though i think trump is just as bad on this front— he sells himself as anti-establishment but right now is actively promoting policies that are going to cause the financial (and educational) gap between rural and urban areas to increase even more. net neutrality for example, if that goes away like trump wants, your internet is going to be controlled and censored and divided up into a cable package.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:23 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Rural people have their own insanity, as in not allowing liquor by the drink to be legal.
Quote:
If in Oklahoma, make sure its one of the 20 or so rural counties where liquor by the drink still isn't legalized, even though they have been able to do it since 1984.
Quote:
Things could be worse where you live, if your county still hasn't legalized liquor by the drink.
maybe you could just buy a bottle at the liquor store and stop whining about it incessantly?

Old 11-28-2017, 10:38 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
maybe you could just buy a bottle at the liquor store and stop whining about it incessantly?
It's ironic because I lived in Lexington, KY for about three and a half years, and some of the Bourbon distillers in KY are in "DRY" counties. You can make the booze, but you can't sell it there. LOL! I guess the OK thing is due to the Indians, but I'm not sure.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:45 PM

4,902 posts, read 2,056,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
The electoral college gives a disproportionate amount of power to rural voters. Time to dump the EC and go to a popular vote. One person, one vote, no matter where you live.
Not a very smart ideal since the politicians in Washington D.C. would only spend money on NY, NJ, FL, IL, TX and CA... The main population centers of the country. All the other blue and red States would be screwed with the "one person, one vote, no matter where you live" ideal... Why waste federal tax dollars on WI, MI, WA, KS and NV "if" you can simply win over the population/voters in New York City, Los Angeles, Houston and Chicago by flooding those cities and other large urban centers with federal tax dollars that come from ALL the States within the Union?? How fair is that to the rest of the Union??

...Being that you're from California, I assume, your State would be a winner in this plan.

I'll side with our forefathers on this one. I'm pretty sure that when the electoral college was enacted, it was wasn't based on some type of impulse action, soley fueled on an emotional reaction to an election that was either won or lost.

Sorry, but one State isn't more important than any other State WITHIN these United States... If you feel otherwise, you might be part of the problem that WE, as a nation, are facing right now.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:50 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Not a very smart ideal since the politicians in Washington D.C. would only spend money on NY, NJ, FL, IL, TX and CA... The main population centers of the country. All the other blue and red States would be screwed with the "one person, one vote, no matter where you live" ideal... Why waste federal tax dollars on WI, MI, WA, KS and NV "if" you can simply win over the population/voters in New York City, Los Angeles, Houston and Chicago by flooding those cities and other large urban centers with federal tax dollars that come from ALL the States within the Union?? How fair is that to the rest of the Union??

...Being that you're from California, I assume, your State would be a winner in this plan.

I'll side with our forefathers on this one. I'm pretty sure that when the electoral college was enacted, it was wasn't based on some type of impulse action, soley fueled on an emotional reaction to an election that was either won or lost.

Sorry, but one State isn't more important than any other State WITHIN these United States... If you feel otherwise, you might be part of the problem that WE, as a nation, are facing right now.
Great post. The LEFT thinks the Federal Government COLLECTIVE created the States, when in reality the States created the Feds as a necessary evil purely for national defense, and interstate trade, and a few other MINOR things. We were not to become the Soviet Union like we are today.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:10 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I know there are family farms left. Just not many. I disagree with your hypothesis about SoCal hating on NorCal. It's actually the opposite. LOL I don't get it personally but it is what it is and it is just general BS... The farmers from the central valley sell their goods at farmers markets on the coasts. There are also farms literally on the coast. I mean literally. Many of the white racists in the interior CA voted for Trump and now regret it. Stupid to vote for someone that wants to remove your cheap labor. I think everyone got over Ms. Clinton losing back in November 2016 - a year ago or shortly after the election. If you think this way then you don't get it. Imagine what kind of country we could be if the middle wasn't dragging us down. Seriously.
I don't agree with you very often, but I do about the bolded (I've lived in both, and I'm a Bay Area native).

Old 11-29-2017, 04:10 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I voted for Trump. I support HIS support for law enforcement, the military, the 2A, and all of his attempts so far to slow illegal immigration. I support his pick for the SC. I support his anti-refugee stance. I lived in the south for 20 years before moving out west, and now live in the lowest populated state in the Lower 48.

I am a college educated, white woman, small business owner, legal immigrant (now American citizen) and an atheist. I am married to a medically retired cop who was seriously injured in the line of duty. He is also a military combat veteran. My son is a military veteran with two tours in Iraq under his belt.

What EXACTLY constitutes a "hard core Trump supporter"? Would I fit your description? And would you consider ME to be cruel, stupid, amoral and upatriotic? Would you consider me dangerous? If so, why? If not, why not?
I consider you and those like you cruel because you voted for The Cheeto. As much as it pains me to say it, you guys (and gals) could have all voted for Gary Johnson in the general instead; I could have lived with him as president

Old 11-29-2017, 04:12 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The Electoral College treats all fifty states equally; why do Hillary and her fellow liberal wackos despise the EC in the first place?

Is it any wonder that their pollsters whiffed on calling the election last year and figure to do likewise in 2018 and 2020 since the Democrats have no bench and still can't comprehend why they lost?
Because flyover country gets overrepresented
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies