Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 08:32 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
America is a REPUBLIC not a democracy.

"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
Joy Reid doesn’t understand that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 08:33 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I'm one of those who has lived in both. Grew up in Provo, Utah. Not exactly rural, but both sets of grandparents had very small farms on the edge of town. I lived in Seattle and the surrounding suburbs for a while, spent 30 years in NYC, am now in the 'burbs of NJ, but keep my main residence in rural PA.

This hating on the rural areas is worse than tiresome; it's going to stir up some really bad blood - to a boiling point. There are absolutely benefits and drawbacks to life in either location. One isn't any "better" than the other. It's just preference, and the urban dwellers that feel the need to denigrate and slander the rural seriously need to lose the pretentious attitude. If you took half the posts bashing those in rural areas from this board and applied them to any other group... they're as bad, or worse, than anything you'd find on Stormfront. Do you posters realize how venomous and sick you are?
Agree 100%

The people that post things like I have seen in this thread are disgusting. They cling to the one form of bigotry that is still considered to be socially acceptable with absolutely no self-awareness. They say the vile things that they say & then wonder why the interior of the country voted the way that they did. My own ancestry was called out in a post earlier in this thread. I hope the poster thought it was a constructive thing to say.

Rural America didn't vote for Trump, they voted against Clinton. Urban America didn't vote for Clinton, they voted against Trump. Run better candidates next time & get a clue. Those of you talking about how someone voted for Trump or Clinton, what are they supposed to do? Vote for someone that is completely contrary to their political views?

"The candidate that is more like me politically is a POS, so I'm going to vote for someone who I completely disagree with because they aren't quite as much of a POS" Newsflash, nobody is going to do that. Every election moves the needle in a certain direction, and nobody is willing to take a step backwards to punish a candidate.

Speaking as a rural American, there wouldn't be any bad blood from me towards urban Americans if they would respect Federalism & allow both areas more flexibility to govern themselves as they see fit. Also, I'm sure the urban Americans are tired of the rural Americans trying to impose their values through government edict. The more powerful the Federal Government gets, the worse this issue is going to get moving forward.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:48 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Exaggerations from you as usual, but at least you understand what you are up against. The Left's efforts to mainstream freaks, misfits, subversives and skallywags hasn't gone unnoticed.
Remember-----next time you vote, I'm out here cancelling it!
The righties here are now upset about generalizations and hate not being cool. LOL This whole board is dedicated to hate. See above for a mild example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
Maybe. Or, maybe it's there to protect slaveholding rural states who didn't have the (white, male) population to counter the voting power of more populous free states, ever since 1789. You know, back before "communism" was even a thing.
Snap

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Don't you just love that low wage immigrant /slave labor! Oh btw I try to avoid any food produced in PRK. including fruits and veggies (I grow my own) My dairy products come right out the Fam's 300 head dairy herd including locally produced cheeses,etc.
No. I bet you do! The growing season in Minnesota is probably short, yes, so you either don't eat veggies or you buy from CA or another country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
They've convinced themselves that their form of hatred is uniquely acceptable, self righteous, justified. There's nothing in their consciences to curb their negative energies because by their own rules they are doing nothing wrong. They don't see how dangerous that is because the way they've framed the rhetoric that shapes their ideology, there can never be too much of it.

This has happened before and it has never ended well.
Again, this whole board is mostly dedicated to bashing "liberals" and minorities. Hello!!! XOXO

Old 11-29-2017, 09:21 AM

13,650 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
The people that post things like I have seen in this thread are disgusting. They cling to the one form of bigotry that is still considered to be socially acceptable with absolutely no self-awareness.
Lots of forms of acceptable bigotry remain. Two in particular come to mind: bigotry against atheists, and bigotry against the child-free. Both groups tend to congregate in cities.

Quote:
Rural America didn't vote for Trump, they voted against Clinton. Urban America didn't vote for Clinton, they voted against Trump. Run better candidates next time & get a clue. Those of you talking about how someone voted for Trump or Clinton, what are they supposed to do? Vote for someone that is completely contrary to their political views?

"The candidate that is more like me politically is a POS, so I'm going to vote for someone who I completely disagree with because they aren't quite as much of a POS" Newsflash, nobody is going to do that.
I’m an “establishment Republican” – and a rural middle-aged white male – who voted for Clinton. I disagree with her on taxes, regulations, foreign military involvement, and so many aspects of domestic and foreign policy. Her signature issues, to the extent that she has any, either don’t impress me, or outright annoy me. I find many of the core assumptions of the Democratic party to be misguided and fatuous. And yet, I voted for Clinton. I’d love to have voted for Kasich, Rubio or Jeb Bush – but wasn’t given that option.

Most importantly, I believe in the post-war consensus. I am content with the global system – and I intentionally use the term “global” – that’s emerged over the past 72 years. The obsession with curtailing immigration and closing borders, “renegotiating” treaties and eschewing diplomatic decorum, strike me as being more grievous ills, than anything about abortion, guns, gays, or religion.

In sum, I'm exactly the sort of voter whose existence you find to be so improbable.

Quote:
Speaking as a rural American, there wouldn't be any bad blood from me towards urban Americans if they would respect Federalism & allow both areas more flexibility to govern themselves as they see fit. Also, I'm sure the urban Americans are tired of the rural Americans trying to impose their values through government edict. The more powerful the Federal Government gets, the worse this issue is going to get moving forward.
Speaking as another rural American, I'm baffled as to why so many conservatives, and in particular rural conservatives, are less interested in reducing the total amount of government, than in just reducing the federal government. If we have intrusive regulations, predatory law-enforcement and high taxes - how is it any consolation, if these things stem from our Statehouse, instead of DC? On the contrary, I would prefer a government that's further away... over there, on the coast, instead of within an hour or two drive, in the state capitol.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:21 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Nope, illegal aliens can't vote
They can't work, get welfare or a drivers license either can they.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:26 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
You righties are such snowflakes.

Were you this upset when Sarah Palin excluded where most Americans live when she said "real America" was the small towns:

“We believe that the best of America is not all in Washington, D.C. We believe that the best of America is in these small towns that we get to visit, and in these wonderful little pockets of what I call the real America, being here with all of you hard working very patriotic, um, very, um, pro-America areas of this great nation. This is where we find the kindness and the goodness and the courage of everyday Americans. Those who are running our factories and teaching our kids and growing our food and are fighting our wars for us. Those who are protecting us in uniform. Those who are protecting the virtues of freedom.”

Old 11-29-2017, 09:31 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You righties are such snowflakes.

Were you this upset when Sarah Palin excluded where most Americans live when she said "real America" was the small towns:

“We believe that the best of America is not all in Washington, D.C. We believe that the best of America is in these small towns that we get to visit, and in these wonderful little pockets of what I call the real America, being here with all of you hard working very patriotic, um, very, um, pro-America areas of this great nation. This is where we find the kindness and the goodness and the courage of everyday Americans. Those who are running our factories and teaching our kids and growing our food and are fighting our wars for us. Those who are protecting us in uniform. Those who are protecting the virtues of freedom.”
Did she say Metro, urban areas were a CORE THREAT TO OUR DEMOCRACY? Maybe there should be two Americas? Metro areas governed by their laws, and elected politicians, and non Metro areas with their separate laws and leaders. We have this great divide in every state. For instance upstate New Yorkers don't want to be governed by NYC Metro area.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:36 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Did she say Metro, urban areas were a CORE THREAT TO OUR DEMOCRACY? Maybe there should be two Americas? Metro areas governed by their laws, and elected politicians, and non Metro areas with their separate laws and leaders. We have this great divide in every state. For instance upstate New Yorkers don't want to be governed by NYC Metro area.
By saying that rural American is "hard working very patriotic, um, very, um, pro-America" is implying that the rest is not hard working, patriotic or pro-American.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:39 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
By saying that rural American is "hard working very patriotic, um, very, um, pro-America" is implying that the rest is not hard working, patriotic or pro-American.
I don't agree. It isn't a zero sum game. You can compliment something, or someone, and not degrade another. You are really stretching.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:49 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Total lie. This is from the USDA:

Five Facts to Know about Family Farms

1. Food equals family – 97 percent of the 2.1 million farms in the United States are family-owned operations.

2. Small business matters – 88 percent of all U.S. farms are small family farms.

another total lie. See above.

All federal subsidies should end. The government should not subsidise any products or businesses.
Classical example of how to lie with statistics.

From the same FDA source as the above...

4. Big business matters too – 64 percent of all vegetable sales and 66 percent of all dairy sales come from the 3 percent of farms that are large or very large family farms.
And if you included large family operations it would get close to 90%.

The family farm is pretty much a hobby thing. Lots of them with little output. Or simply land that is held by a family but farmed by larger operations. True in all the grain farming areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies