Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2017, 11:34 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
With Trump as president, we have lost all credibility and no longer the leader of this world. God help us all. It's a nightmare.

with Trump as President we have credibility that we were not stupid enough to elect Hilary, thank God for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 11:48 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Unfortunately I think it's going to take a recession to really shut down Trumpism. I don't think Russia or any of the other allegations against Trump or even his incompetence on the world stage makes a difference to his supporters. Why? Trump is keeping his promises to them, first and foremost implementing the white evangelical theocratic agenda. When we have a recession and we once again see what a disaster the GOP is for the economy in the long term, public opinion will change. I just worry that the next recession is going to make 2008 look like a cakewalk. Today's economy is a lot more 2006 than 1999. It seems good at the surface but it has a rotten foundation. When the recession happens, it will come within the matter of a few months like the last one did in late 2007. Things seemed great and the stock market was hitting record highs and then three months later the Great Recession had begun.
That won't work--
Been there---
They blamed Obama even though he was in office AFTER the recession began and was in the Senate for only a small piece of time leading up to it
They don't care

Just like the South blamed the North for starting the Civil War when anyone who understands the underlying forces can see it was unavoidable--
The South and the western new states wanted slavery because of their agrarian way of life and debt
The North was moving to early industrialization and had lot of immigration to support its cheap labor
The South was losing force/strength in the Congress where increasing population density in the North was gaining more Congressional members vs the South were slaves were not counted 1 for 1 like the Irish and other Northern immigrants...

You are right re the surface appearance of success but many of the job numbers Trump is bragging about are for part time, service industry jobs---waiters, lower tier medical/hospital workers, people working two part time jobs to make ends meet

Some aspects of the economy like durable goods have been rising but how much of that is due to people having to replace hurricane and fire damage they never quite separate out

The Fed is apparently going to do 4 rate increases next year--
That will likely cool lot of the positive news in the economy
People will see rates rise on credit card debt, mortgage rates and refi rates on homes will rise, with the increased value in homes having to pay another half a per cent in mortgage money will stop lot of entry level people from entering the market--

Plus the tax burden on people in some states because of the double taxation burden will make some people reconsider their home buying--real estate drives big portion of the wage-earning economy as we saw when RE went to hell in 08 and after...

Trump's move not to offer subsidies will create more burden on health care costs
And taxes will not be the big positive that the GOP is promising--
Companies won't put capital into growth of physical plants/employees in the way the GOP has promised
Think some areas of the Rust Belt will stay rusty...because there is no government infrastructure money coming
This tax bill put paid to that...

But believe me--the same people who never wanted to give Obama credit for saving this country from a way bigger recession will continue to blame the Democrats for what comes under Trump
Anyone who has read anything about the Great Depression knows that Hoover was asleep at the wheel
He took no steps to stop what was happening with the banking system, took no steps to put people back to work
Roosevelt did and was fought every step of the way by the GOP in house and senate at the time
George Bush's grandfather was one of the GOP Senators opposing Roosevelt's actions like the CCC which put young men to work in government labor camps--fed them, taught them some construction skills, and gave them monthly salary which helped their families stay alive back home---
Same with other public works projects---
That involved government debt but it was at least debt for a purpose--
There is nothing worthwhile in the government debt this GOP tax bill has signed up for
It is just a rock around the necks of children not yet born...

Old 12-09-2017, 12:09 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,341,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
With Trump as president, we have lost all credibility and no longer the leader of this world. God help us all. It's a nightmare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
With Trump as President we have credibility that we were not stupid enough to elect Hilary, thank God for that.
We're not turning our back on global responsibilities; only against the collectivist nonsense that made us the one-worlders' favorite whipping boy for too many years. If the United Nations had made it clear not long after its inception that institutionalized Marxism was as foul a scourge as Naziism, and dedicated itself to its extermination -- there would be no problem.

But those of us who recall the Cold War can also recall the collection of banana republics and petty tyrannies which turned the UN into a laughingstock. The collapse of the Soviet Union under the weight of its own chains simply demonstrated the need for a new villain. A 2003 Newsweek cover story proclaimed "Why America Scares the World", but Newsweek has since clearly identified itself as mostly hostile to those outside the circle of the Left-leaning elite.

And don't even think of trying to win those of us out here in the real world over with your global-warming sob stories. The only goal of that crowd is creation of another level of international bureaucracy, which can't even devise a means to address the issue -- save for the first step of a power- and revenue-grab.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:11 AM

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sh...ngs-2017-12-08

Power and revenue grab--very GOP/Trump

Old 12-09-2017, 03:14 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,845,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Good, maybe the Left can join the Islamic Republic of Canada then and leave us alone.
LOL. I don't have a clue how to address your incredibly ignorant comments, so I guess I'll start here:

ever been to Michigan, dude? Do you realize it has one of the largest Muslim populations outside of the Middle East? Are you aware that in Hamtramk, Michigan, which is a majority-Muslim city with majority-Muslim city council, the Muslim call to prayer is now broadcast 5 times per day?

But, wait. It gets complicated: Michigan voted for Trump last year. So, should Michigan join the "Islamic Republic of Canada," or God's country, Trumplandia?

Old 12-09-2017, 03:16 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,553,279 times
I'd prefer it if the southern red states just seceded. Let's see how well they do without the blue states subsidizing them with our taxes (which they've decided to raise).

Old 12-09-2017, 03:24 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,845,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yes, very true. Many parts of California are Republican/conservative.

I am hoping the red states will stay red and maybe some of the blue or purple states will come to their senses and become red.
Oh, jeezus.

^^ Exhibit "A" for all of you "blue"staters, especially in California, who love to blame the South for Trump's election.

California really isn't more "progressive" than the South is. Hell, I bet we could substitute Alabama for large chunks of California, and we wouldn't notice a difference.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 12-09-2017 at 03:35 AM..

Old 12-09-2017, 07:14 AM

I am going to be very interested to see how this tax bill which penalized red and blue voters in states like CA plays out...
Surely some of those gun toting alt-right CA voters own property and are going to be on the negative end of this tax bill---
Or maybe they just take all their income in barter, report no earned income and slide under the radar...like so many people with unreported income in other states...
Unreported income but several cars and lots of disposable cash, that is...

Old 12-09-2017, 02:38 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I plan a coup to oust the RINOs and Robber Barons. The Corporate Robber barons, in addition to aiding Amnesty, H1Bs, and Common Core, really tipped their hand when attacking Arizona's, Indiana's, Arkansas's, Georgia's, Louisiana's, New Mexico's, Missouri's, Mississippi's, North Carolina's, South Carolina's, Michigan's, and West Virginia's Religious Freedom Bills and attacking Oklahoma's, Tennessee's, Michigan's, North Carolina's, and Texas's good bathroom bills and sticking their nose into the VA school tranny thing and threatening to kill jobs to bully the people of the working class into pressuring the state (what I call economic terrorism, especially when used for an evil cause like that) to the cave the Gaystapo/Transtapo. (BTW, Pence caving to the Gaystapo in 2015 is the reason, other than his support for Common Core, of why I REFUSE to call him a conservative even when some conservative icons like Mark Levin do, though I think The Great One is waking up to what Pence is. I think that Bryant should have been VP instead. At least he had balls and gave the Gaystapo the finger and even beat them in their kangaroo courts and got their RFRA to stand.)

Their control over the Republican Party is alarming. Other than a few things like opposition to stuff like corporate taxes and climate change legislation (at least when they can't profit off of it, if they can, they'll be for it!) , they are pretty much the same as the "Progressives". And now 37 jerks, including Crapple and Scamazon, have openly shown their contempt for free speech and freedom and signed a brief in allegiance with the GayKK and against Jack Phillps and the other brave patriots like him.

Unlike some of my more mild-mannered fellow conservatives, I WILL play dirty. (I'm not above leaking US Chamber member and donor lists to the Far Left like Sanders groups, enviromentalist groups, union groups (grassroots union, of course, not the guys at the top, who are just as big of sellouts to their members as the corporate guys are to America, and for virtually the same reasons.) and instigate boycotts against them. I don't care if the Left boycotts McCain, Flake, McConnell, Ryan, etc, donors. In fact, I'll GIVE them the lists if I can find a way to send it anonymously (Tor browsers and Opera VPNs seem like good choices to do that. )

What the Left doesn't realize is that once the Establishment Republicans (AKA Repubicans) fall, that the new conservative party rising to take its place will clean its clock. The Repubicans and the Democrats have a symbiotic relationship. The Repubicans get lobbyist money from Big Businessmen who mine kids data in Common Core and get cheap labor from illegals and H1Bs where as the Democrats get a dumb, dependent voting base from it. The Repubicans always manage to get back in by playing the lesser of two evils card. If we were to truly wipe out the Dems, they couldn't do that anymore, so they'd know that they'd be next, hence why they let Obummer, Lerner, Lynch, Holder, and the Clintons slide when they could have finished them off for good.

Believe me, I don't consider the McConnels, Ryans, McCains, Flakes, etc to be our friends Heck, I'd even be for throwing the Bushes in the brig as I now believe them to be a family of traitors that are little better than the Clintons and now even admit that the idea that they went into Iraq (I don't say Afghanistan as the Taliban attacked us on 9/11 and we merely attacked back) to cause instability and made up the whole WMD thing is certainly plausible now. And I am skeptical of the Patriot Act. While it might mean well, in the wrong hands, it could be dangerous. One of my goals is actually to abolish the Department of Homeland Security, as I believe they are actually AIDING the illegal invaders and that the DHS has been bad from the day it was formed. Also, I think the TSA needs to go too. We can local government and state government do the security. No more crotch searching federal agents at airports!
\ I think the end result of your demented manifesto is no place the majority of Americans would want to live . A place where hate rules,diversity is something to be eliminated ,lots of death to those who dont fit into your one dimensional little alt reality.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:02 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
LOL. I don't have a clue how to address your incredibly ignorant comments, so I guess I'll start here:

ever been to Michigan, dude? Do you realize it has one of the largest Muslim populations outside of the Middle East? Are you aware that in Hamtramk, Michigan, which is a majority-Muslim city with majority-Muslim city council, the Muslim call to prayer is now broadcast 5 times per day?

But, wait. It gets complicated: Michigan voted for Trump last year. So, should Michigan join the "Islamic Republic of Canada," or God's country, Trumplandia?
Talk about ignorant comments. Hamtramk, Michigan, population all of 21,000 is just a part of Detroit and is rabidly Democrat and doesn't represent the rest of Michigan at all. The US would be better off if that border of Canada could be shifted 5 miles so they would get Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies