Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 04:06 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,428,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
That's not a fact. You do not know the hardship and obstacles many men go through to get anywhere. That's why percentage wise men have worse outcomes than women overall.

Yes, it is. Can you explain the pay gap? If there is a pay gap problem, why won't women have to work twice as hard to get the equal or higher pay? That makes no sense what you are saying.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 04:06 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
At a party last weekend, we were talking about this. Not one guy said he would mentor a woman, not to mention going to lunch, walk into a woman's office alone, etc.. And, unless their wife was present (and maybe not even then), they all agreed they would not watch their neighbor's or relative's children anymore. These were all white collar guys in their 40's, I don't know if it differs with age.
You are spot on. WAY too many false accusations have ruined innocent parties' lives because the accusers smell an easy payoff. NO ONE thinks it's worth taking that risk. NO ONE.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:08 PM

1,239 posts, read 511,176 times
Quote:
You are making an apples and oranges argument. That's what sexual harassment was sold at first to be, but long is not anymore. I've had gay and straight bosses flirt with me before. It's no big deal.
It's not apples and oranges. It might be one of the more uncomfortable examples, but it's what many women face. The **** Weinstein did was worse.

Where has someone got in trouble for flirting with a colleague? It doesn't happen, unless the person has no clue how to flirt, and takes it too far.

A superior should never flirt with their underlings. It happens, just like in that teacher story, but it shouldn't if you don't want to face repercussions.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:09 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Yes, it is. Can you explain the pay gap? If there is a pay gap problem, why won't women have to work twice as hard to get the equal or higher pay? That makes no sense what you are saying.

There is no real pay gap. It's tiny to begin with and easily explained away because there is a difference in hours worked, difficulty of the work, qualifications and experience and performance. If work was fair there would be a much bigger pay gap, not less.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:13 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Again, I stand by what I said. There are plenty of men in power with no merit in the position they hold. One example is Donnie boy just to name a few. Women have to work twice as hard to get the same position and pay as men. That's a fact.
Trump was elected; you have issues with people voting? Seems you have a rather discriminatory and authoritarian mindset.

Quote:
The rest of your post is nonsense. There is nowhere in my statement that I even mentioned 1950. Most of the EEOC is run by men. Women are intimidated and threatened by men in positions of power. Where have you been in the last year? In a bubble or just denial?
You stated "last century" and that would include 1950. The EEOC is 64% female, 60% minority. Men also face imitation and threats by other men and women (basically anyone) in positions of power. I have no idea where you get it is just a woman issue.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:13 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
It's not apples and oranges. It might be one of the more uncomfortable examples, but it's what many women face. The **** Weinstein did was worse.

Where has someone got in trouble for flirting with a colleague? It doesn't happen, unless the person has no clue how to flirt, and takes it too far.
It happens all the freaking time. So now men rarely do it at all.

Quote:
A superior should never flirt with their underlings. It happens, just like in that teacher story, but it shouldn't if you don't want to face repercussions.
Why, because liberals like you say so? I say they should be able to show an interest in any other person of age they want in a free country.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:16 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
I didn't say based on gender but based on merit. How many reports in the last year or century have there been that women doing the same job as men are being passed up for leadership roles and a huge pay gap? There are reports and stats conducted by the government every year. It's public information. If you don't recognize there is a problem with that, you are part of it.
What do you expect when the latest "bright idea" floated by a female CEO is "lady chips?" I about died from embarrassment and despair when I read that. Good grief!

Old 02-08-2018, 04:19 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,428,259 times
Quote:
There is no real pay gap. It's tiny to begin with and easily explained away because there is a difference in hours worked, difficulty of the work, qualifications and experience and performance. If work was fair there would be a much bigger pay gap, not less.
So many facts online by the government. Let us educate yourselves, please.

http://www.nationalpartnership.org/r...e-wage-gap.pdf

Charts show how much more men make than women - Business Insider

https://iwpr.org/publications/gender...ace-ethnicity/

You can research your own independent information as well because it's at your fingertips. If you can post a factual study that the opposite is true, I don't mind further educating myself. But until then, it stands that there is a pay gap in this country between men and women.

Everyone knows there are exceptions to the rule like men having more education, women out of the workforce because of being caretakers, but for the most part, there is a problem. I'd educate myself on problems of the community that affect all of us as a society instead of denying it.

There are many others. Like I said, if you don't recognize the problem, you are part of it.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:24 PM

15,535 posts, read 10,512,774 times
Quote:

What pay gap? I haven't seen a pay gap in a long time. Maybe you should look for a better company.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:28 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,658,528 times
I came to this country with 2000$. I drove cabs, cleaned aircrafts, did other odd jobs and climbed my way up with my fingernails. Now I'm a manager in IT.
There is absolutely no freaking way that I'm going to risk my position. So, I'm sorry, women. No mentoring for you, no promoting to a lead position (where you will spend a lot of time with me), no hiring to my teams, unless you are old and fat.
Sorry ladies, you did it to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies