Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2018, 07:12 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
The problem is they should have done a tariff, immediately, back when China started producing and selling their "cheap" steel, not now, when people have been so accustomed to it. It seems a little too late and now a tariff will effect way more jobs negatively in the US then it does positively.

I tend to agree.

I recall when 1) Nixon visited China, then decidedly a 'third world' country, and hence opened diplomatic relations with them; and then 2) our opening trade with China, I believe in 1976.

Now, the expectations were that China, with its huge (but still poor) population, would eagerly import our products. The first US company to enter into a deal with China was the Coca Cola Bottling Company, which (from memory) starting shipping cola to China in 1980*. Of course, other companies followed suit.

Then Coca Cola began opening plants in China itself (again, *), and they now have 43 plants in China. We no longer export Coca Cola to China. Other companies followed suit.

China was not the first country to sell 'cheap' steel to the United States. I believe it was Japan.

During WWII, we bombed the beejeebers out Japan's steel industry. Sorry for what we had done, we helped Japan rebuild, using state-of-the-art equipment (at least, for the 1950s).

I had noted elsewhere that in 1975 I worked in the family iron/steel plant (actually, I think it was all iron, like iron pipes and manhole covers and such), and I was surprised to see that all of the machinery dated from or prior to WWI (not II, but I). Each machine had the year of manufacture stamped on it (if you could see it through the grime; it was a nasty place to work).

My uncle (whom ran the plant and was co-owner with my mother) explained that it was simply too expensive for such a small factory (here in Fort Worth) to purchase new equipment. It was he (whom had fought in the Pacific theater) that first, bitterly, informed me that the cheap Japanese steel that was then flooding the US market was courtesy of our government, by rebuilding the Japanese steel companies. Our factory closed in the 1980s, after his death.

Of course, when China began building their huge steel factories in the 1980s and 90s (they obviously had some prior to then, probably on par with my family's plant, equipment wise), they also built state-of-the-art complexes, while the steel plants in the Rust Belt were, like our small factory, using very old equipment. Since the China steel industry was much more modern than Japans, and able to produce steel at a much lower cost, US companies found it profitable to start importing steel from China.

Now, of course, China is no longer considered a 'third world' country. I visited China in 2008, just a few months after their hosting the Olympics. In Beijing, I met a USA businessman with a long history of visiting China. Indeed, he told me that his first visit was in 1980 or 81, and how, at dusk, the city of Beijing virtually closed up due to most areas not having electricity. There was but one western hotel at the time, which he had stayed in (and which was still operating when we stayed there), and he noted that there were very few cars in the streets, day or night.

How things had changed by 2008! Our guide informed us that 1,000 new drivers hit the road, in Beijing alone, each and every day of the year. The cars that jammed the streets were all newer models. When we visited Shanghai, not only did we see ultra-modern office buildings, but the skyline was a literal forest of building cranes. China had become a Power, even though some 900 million of its population (out of 1.3 billion) are still considered 'peasants'.

Yet, here in the US, our steel plants continued to close up shop. Even if the steel tariffs succeed in producing more demand for locally produced steel, I can't see (as I read the other day) US Steel or Bethlehem Steel investing the billions of dollars that would be needed to build new, state-of-the-art, factories. Even if they did, such plants have apparently become so automated that they would require only 10 percent of the work force formerly required.

Such is life.

*I read with some surprise that Coca Cola actually had bottling plants in China prior to the Revolution, with China nationalizing (i.e., taking over) the plants in 1949. Also, when Coke was again being sold in China in the early 1980s, the produce was limited to oversea tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 07:24 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
It may not matter. I heard a ham radio guy from Texas talking yesterday, during the elections. He said at the voting spots the republicans were coming in and out all day. The democrats, however, were lined up out the door and around the corner all day. That isn't some biased news report from a reporter, that is from a Texas citizen who observed it first hand. I checked, and sure enough the democrat turnout set a record.

I think even if Trump retains his entire base of supporters it won't hold up under the record onslaught of democrat voters that will be turning out for the election.
Correct. I'm in Texas. My wife and I normally couldn't care less about the Texas primaries. We voted last week. The Dems turned out in droves. Will it help? I don't know. But the failure of the Republicans has mobilized us.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:07 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,906,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Maybe you missed the election of 2016. There is no "Right" and the "Left" on this issue. Career establishment politicians on both sides have sold out to the globalists for years.

Trump beat them all, both the GOP and DEM by promising to put an end to the sell off of American Industry & Jobs by what is called "Free Trade".

And now he is keeping that promise. He's the first president in decades to do so.
He's already backed off the tariffs.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:09 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Following new jobs coming to Tennessee due to LG announcing a new Washing Machine plant in Tenn, now USA AL manufacture announces 300 new jobs coming to Kentucky. Average salary is $90K

These are due to Trump's tariffs.

They work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=OIU-pZ3NMdM

Still Winning

#MAGA

Allcoa here in TX is ramping up production.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:16 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Following new jobs coming to Tennessee due to LG announcing a new Washing Machine plant in Tenn, now USA AL manufacture announces 300 new jobs coming to Kentucky. Average salary is $90K

These are due to Trump's tariffs.

They work.

Still Winning

#MAGA
320 new jobs in Athens TN - automotive supplies. This on top of 1,000 new jobs in Maryville, Tennessee - fuel pumps and gasoline injectors.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:25 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
320 new jobs in Athens TN - automotive supplies. This on top of 1,000 new jobs in Maryville, Tennessee - fuel pumps and gasoline injectors.
Boy that was quick, no downside only good news

Old 03-08-2018, 08:30 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You are talking about Denso correct? Their big Tn presence started in 2014. How did they know Trump was going to be elected before he actually ran?

https://automotivelogistics.media/ne...expansion-plan

Old 03-08-2018, 08:34 AM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times
I believe he/she/it was referring to this:
Auto supplier investing $190 million, adding 320 jobs in Athens, Tenn. | Times Free Press

However, that news being already more than a week old clearly has nothing to do with Trump's tariffs. And an auto supplier wouldn't have anything to do with steel tariffs anyway.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:36 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Auto supplier investing $190 million, adding 320 jobs in Athens, Tenn. | Times Free Press

However, that news being already almost 2 weeks old clearly has nothing to do with Trump's tariffs. And an auto supplier wouldn't have anything to do with steel tariffs anyway.
They never let facts get in the way of pushing propaganda.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:37 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post

However, that news being already 2 weeks old clearly has nothing to do with Trump's tariffs. And an auto supplier wouldn't have anything to do with steel tariffs anyway.
Yes. It is Denso. I linked an article showing their big North American expansion started in 2014 (planned 1 Billion). They have 18,000 employees in U.S., Canada and Mexico.

So hurray Obama right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies