Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 06:59 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times

Advertisements

Yeah, that's sure to work. <sarcasm> How stupid! The first person that throws a rock gets shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 07:02 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
The only thing that will make our schools safer are people with guns, and ending "gun free zones." Criminals don't care if it's a "gun free zone." They don't obey laws, and that's why banning guns won't work either.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:02 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,590,367 times
It amazed me how STUPID people we employ to educate our children actually have become. They are more worried about Progressive Indoctrination than actual LEARNING. Teachers used to be regular people. Now they are just government indoctrinators.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:12 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Yeah, that's sure to work. <sarcasm> How stupid! The first person that throws a rock gets shot.
Many say: How stupid - but where are their ideas to make our schools safe? We have learned our lesson that hiding is dying; it will not guarantee a student's safety. We have also seen that even two 15 year veterans on NYC's police force can hit 9 bystanders with 'friendly fire' that is not that friendly. Arming the untrained is not an option. This PA school superintendent thought outside the box and came up with a plan based on the parameters.

I would say that stupid is not thinking about the problem until it happens again!

Old 03-25-2018, 07:18 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Many say: How stupid - but where are their ideas to make our schools safe? We have learned our lesson that hiding is dying; it will not guarantee a student's safety. We have also seen that even two 15 year veterans on NYC's police force can hit 9 bystanders with 'friendly fire' that is not that friendly. Arming the untrained is not an option. This PA school superintendent thought outside the box and came up with a plan based on the parameters.

I would say that stupid is not thinking about the problem until it happens again!
Then instead of using CAVE MAN tactics with freaking rocks, move to arm school workers, and administrators that want to VOLUNTEER for a training program to carry arms. This school ADMITS they need a means of defense. Let them have an effective one.

There are other school districts that have armed school workers. They have to go through a six month POLICE TRAINING ACADEMY. They VOLUNTEERED to do so.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:26 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,055,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
hell of a lot better than "duck and cover"
I have to say... not a bad idea and easily instituted.

Every class room has a bucket full.

I would have assorted sizes so the stronger kids can peg the shooter with brain damage size rocks and the smaller weaker kids can hit him / her with bruise size rocks.

I am being totally serious.

If I am an active shooter and 20 people started throwing rocks at me I would have to be the one to "duck and cover". I might even get taken out if one hits me in the head.

At the very least it would slow me down and give the cops time (assuming they are not all standing down outside).

This post coming from a very right of center City Data user.

Good share OP!

Last edited by Texas Minded; 03-25-2018 at 08:08 AM..

Old 03-25-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Then instead of using CAVE MAN tactics with freaking rocks, move to arm school workers, and administrators that want to VOLUNTEER for a training program to carry arms. This school ADMITS they need a means of defense. Let them have an effective one.

There are other school districts that have armed school workers. They have to go through a six month POLICE TRAINING ACADEMY. They VOLUNTEERED to do so.
I would like to agree; but I cannot get this out of my head: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/sanja...b_1830421.html.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Minded View Post
I have to say... not a bad idea and easily instituted.

Every class room has a bucket full.

I would have assorted sizes so the stronger kids can peg the shooter with brain damage size rocks and the smaller weaker kids cans hit him / her with bruise size rocks.

I am being totally serious.

If I am an active shooter and 20 people started throwing rocks at me I would have to be the one to "duck and cover". I might even get taken out if one hits me in the head.

At the very least it would slow me down and give the cops time (assuming they are not all standing down outside).

This post coming from a very right of center City Data user.

Good share OP!
Thank you! At the very least our kids could earn another credit: Stone throwing 101!

I liked the idea that was also floated of bullet proof desktops that could be laid down to face the door. Of course I have no idea how much additional cost that would add?

I am well aware that we have many protesting for stricter gun laws. I do not think that will stop the next shooting. I just want to see people start to think about what we can do now to make our schools safer.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:12 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,055,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Thank you! At the very least our kids could earn another credit: Stone throwing 101!

I liked the idea that was also floated of bullet proof desktops that could be laid down to face the door. Of course I have no idea how much additional cost that would add?

I am well aware that we have many protesting for stricter gun laws. I do not think that will stop the next shooting. I just want to see people start to think about what we can do now to make our schools safer.
Totally agree.

Something practical / easy like this is better than nothing.

No law needs to be passed to institute. Not illegal to have a big Home Depot homer bucket full of rocks in a classroom.

If I was a teacher, I would get this setup right away in my classroom.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Minded View Post
Totally agree.

Something practical / easy like this is better than nothing.

No law needs to be passed to institute. Not illegal to have a big Home Depot homer bucket full of rocks in a classroom.

If I was a teacher, I would get this setup right away in my classroom.
Like I have said before; I carried my single shot .22 to school for four years while shot on our HS rifle team. I was one of the youngest in my class and originally started carrying my gun when I was only 12. As much as I would like to see us return to those days, back in the early 1960's, it will never happen. We now have laws, drugs, gangs and many problems we never had back then.

I just like the idea of empowering our students and I just wish that one shooting could be stopped cold by the targets of that shooter. I just wish that we could give our students modern 'safe' weapons that could neutralize without killing.

As far as rocks: Many years ago I picked up a pebble to scare a rabbit out of our garden. The pebble was only a half or three quarters inch in diameter and I gave it a half hearted throw to hit the rabbit in the side. Instead; I hit it in the head. The rabbit jumped straight up and fell back down dead! It was not my intention, I did not mean to; but I have respected rock power since that time. I can also understand when I see that our riot police end up in the hospital when hit with rocks and bottles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies