Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 03:51 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
National Rock Association must be behind this.
Ban rocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 04:22 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Not a bad idea. Every student should at least have access to something to defend themselves. The armed security can't be everywhere.
With the exception of the recent Great Mills HS in Maryland; HS security has been impotent against active shooters. They simply cannot be everyplace all the time or can the public afford to have enough security for total coverage. Then, even if we had the extra armed guards; shooters could work around that by attacking our school buses. In the vast majority of HS shootings only the students have been in the right place to effectively stop a shooting in progress - but they have lacked the training and tools.

I wished that we could return to the days when we had HS rifle teams and kids could carry knives; but we cannot. There are simply too many issues today. This superintendent thought outside the box; he came up with a solution given the fixed parameters. Yes; rocks are primitive. It would be great if we had some tech gadget that put people down or froze them without consequences - but that is only in Marvel Comics. Our military is experimenting with non-lethal crowd control and possibly some of that technology could be incorporated in the schools of the future - but who knows?

Old 03-24-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
every classroom already have blunt weapons... every pair of safety scissors, every desk and chair, every kid, they can all be thrown at the shooters
I agree and that is part of the ALICE system. In specific; the 'Counter' part.

It is also extra ammunition for when you run out of rocks!

Old 03-24-2018, 04:30 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Back in the 60s Bob Dylan said "everyone must get stoned"

Old 03-24-2018, 04:56 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You didn't read the links did you?

(As a note, my name is on some of the extended contributor list for a couple of them)
Yes I did.

Sure it is.

So you are telling me that A.L.I.C.E. has NO component of fighting back which includes throwing items at the shooter?

Old 03-24-2018, 05:12 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,147,283 times
Why does anyone need that many rocks for self defense? We need to limit the bucket sizes or ban high-capacity assault buckets.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:17 PM

23,626 posts, read 12,553,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
With the exception of the recent Great Mills HS in Maryland; HS security has been impotent against active shooters. They simply cannot be everyplace all the time or can the public afford to have enough security for total coverage.
It doesn't help when they hide outside.

Quote:
Then, even if we had the extra armed guards; shooters could work around that by attacking our school buses. In the vast majority of HS shootings only the students have been in the right place to effectively stop a shooting in progress - but they have lacked the training and tools.
It sounds like they hadn't ever tried "extra" armed guards. Maybe hire several vets per school.

Quote:
I wished that we could return to the days when we had HS rifle teams and kids could carry knives; but we cannot. There are simply too many issues today.
Exactly, things have changed and those things need to be addressed, which they aren't.

Quote:
This superintendent thought outside the box; he came up with a solution given the fixed parameters. Yes; rocks are primitive. It would be great if we had some tech gadget that put people down or froze them without consequences - but that is only in Marvel Comics. Our military is experimenting with non-lethal crowd control and possibly some of that technology could be incorporated in the schools of the future - but who knows?
One cannot effectively throw a rock while hiding under a desk. One would have to stand up and then go through all of the motions to throw a rock. That takes time. In reality, they would be dead the second they stand up to throw the rock.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:04 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes I did.

Sure it is.

So you are telling me that A.L.I.C.E. has NO component of fighting back which includes throwing items at the shooter?
Here ya go, one of your links addressing the very real problems with throwing an Ipod at an attacker:

ALICE & Run-Hide-Fight Training: Teaching Students to Attack Gunmen - School SecuritySchool Security

Old 03-24-2018, 06:08 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,590,367 times
How about we arm them with NERF guns?

Old 03-24-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
It doesn't help when they hide outside.
And that officer will have to live with his cowardice for the rest of his life. I would not want to be in his shoes. It almost stands to reason that every HS should have at least two armed guards. That way the 'protect a fellow officer' kicks in besides the urge to protect our kids.

I wished that somebody would take the armed guards from our SS buildings. I know that us seniors can get pretty feisty; but I do not think we justify armed guards. That started after 911 and, as far as I know, it is still in place today. I believe that if somebody had a hot line to our President; that he would agree that the guards would better serve our children than our seniors. I am also sure there are other government building that still require, but do not need, armed guards.

Quote:
It sounds like they hadn't ever tried "extra" armed guards. Maybe hire several vets per school.
Not a bad idea; but we still have to be very careful that we place the right people in the right place. Of course there is always the question of who will pay.

Quote:
Exactly, things have changed and those things need to be addressed, which they aren't.
It might be impossible to turn back the hands of time? Our Country is divided; it is not as patriotic as it was back then. When I carried my weapon to school the only thought I ever had was to use my weapon to defend our school if worse would come to worse and the Russians attacked. I guess I was thinking Red Dawn before the movie was made!

Quote:
One cannot effectively throw a rock while hiding under a desk. One would have to stand up and then go through all of the motions to throw a rock. That takes time. In reality, they would be dead the second they stand up to throw the rock.
Good suggestion! Students could tip over all desk so that the desk tops face the door. That way, even though one desk could not stop a bullet; several desk would. Maybe we could even think about reinforcing the bottoms of the desk tops with Kevlar so that desk would be bullet proof? That way students could get their stone or book off with less chance of becoming a victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies