Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 08:58 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times

Advertisements

If we are to be a society similar the old wild west were everyone was responsible for their own personal security, then the schools should also behave as such. They are after all responsible for my child's security during school hours.

At some point.. the schools will look and act no different from jails. All fenced in, limited access via windows, metal detectors at the doors, lock down for the "inmates" and armed guards (teachers) patrolling the perimeter, five gallon rocks and shivs carried by the "inmates".. just in case..

I'm joking of course. But seriously, you can't expect the actual students (and staff) to mount a coordinated assault on an aggressive intruder who is well armed and planned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 08:59 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times

You didn't read the links did you?

(As a note, my name is on some of the extended contributor list for a couple of them)

Old 03-24-2018, 09:07 AM

3,337 posts, read 2,140,399 times
I mean, if they're going to do this I suppose they should also include a hunting slingshot for each student as well. That would make this seemingly silly idea far less half-assed.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:13 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I mean, if they're going to do this I suppose they should also include a hunting slingshot for each student as well. That would make this seemingly silly idea far less half-assed.
We should just issue a gun to every student... Let me know when they do, I can put some investments in gun manufacturing related stocks.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:19 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Superintendent Says Students Are Armed with Rocks In Case of a School Shooting | WNEP.com
I quote:

“At one time I just had the idea of river stone, they`re the right size for hands, you can throw them very hard and they will create or cause pain, which can distract,†said Helsel.
Helsel says teachers, staff and students were given active shooter training through a program known as ALICE which stands for Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate and they routinely hold evacuation drills for active shooter simulations.
But if a teacher decides to lockdown a classroom, there are rocks in a five-gallon bucket kept in every classroom closet that students could throw if shooters get inside.
Still, Helsel says the rocks are seen as a last resort."

So; what do you think? It is only a small part of their plan - but I think it would empower students that would otherwise feel helpless.
I think a lot of students are going to get rocks thrown at them!

Old 03-24-2018, 09:27 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
So, a multiple police officers armed with handguns are excused for not confronting a shooter with a rifle because handgun bullets are slower than rifle bullets, but children armed with rocks are expected to?
Welcome to third world America. Right wingers don't believe these children should be able to practice first amendment rights by protesting, instead expect them to defend themselves against AR 15s by throwing rocks.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:33 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,121,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Welcome to third world America. Right wingers don't believe these children should be able to practice first amendment rights by protesting, instead expect them to defend themselves against AR 15s by throwing rocks.
Um....you're backwards. The right aren't the ones trying to end free speech. That would be the left...shuting down speakers, criminalizing certain words and banning flags and symbols.

The right doesn't expect kids to defend themselves with rocks, they want the teachers that want to defend their students to be able to do so with a handgun and training.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:19 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's a response if an alert/Code Red Lockdown has been called. That's assuming someone in the office was able to issue it. The office because that's where the PA system controls are.

A major problem with protecting classrooms is that many/most have no way to lock them from the inside so the teacher has to go into the hall to key them locked. SOP in many school systems is to not have the class doors locked during school hours (itself for security reasons).

I can tell that no one advocating the "Rock Response" hasn't thought of logistics. Bad guy comes into room, teacher says "Wait a moment while I distribute rocks to be thrown at you". One reality is that there will be a subset of kids who will grab those rocks when they come into the room for later distribution. In the cafeteria, out a bus window, whatever.

The reality is that if a bad guy comes into a room the first response at all age levels is to panic. Hell, kids have panic attacks and cry during scheduled and announced fire drills. I'm talking high school.
Only people In the office sit in plain sight right inside the door. They are sitting ducks. No security doors, no metal detectors, nothing.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:45 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Only people In the office sit in plain sight right inside the door. They are sitting ducks. No security doors, no metal detectors, nothing.

That's why I said "assuming". And yes, that's a hole in the response palette. Although that depends now. Main offices in new buildings are being hardened with locked foyers as well as positive ID at the locked main doors. Some schools are doing some retrofitting.

As far as metal detectors in general go, that's a whole other conversation which can go either way.

When you start discussing theory and put it into practice, say searching backpacks, the most vociferous parent in favor of the theory becomes the biggest 4th Amendment defender you've ever seen when it starts.

And then you get to something else. With so many people comparing schools to prisons ("What do you mean my kid has to have a pass out of class to go to the restroom) what would be the reaction when real prison procedures are put into place.

If you remember the DC sniper you'll recall that they targeted a middle school. From across the road. Shot one student, critical but survived. There was another school shooting I remember offhand from a number of years ago. It was a middle school in Arkansas. One student pulled the fire alarm while the other was posted up in the woods where he shot people evacuating. Four dead, ten or so wounded.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...sas-kills-five

Old 03-24-2018, 12:10 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,176,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Even though it sounds nutty as a fruitcake... I agree. The reality that if a lunatic starts shooting, having 20-30-40-50 rocks flying at him could mean the difference between a tragedy and a massacre. When the government fails (as it did at every level in Florida) the people have to fill in the gaps. This isn't a bad idea.
I am willing to bet, when the bullets start flying, throwing rocks will not happen!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies