Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 04:02 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Not if you think about it.

5 kids in a class, each throwing a rock. 5 more in the room across the hall. 5 more in the room next door, and another 5 in the room next door across the hall.

That's 20 rocks flying through the air coming form 4 different places.

10 kids per room- 40 rocks. 15 kids per room- 60 rocks.

A tennis ball sized rock can really hurt. The object is to get the shooting stopped. Any blow from a rock could be enough to do that.

How hard would it be to hold rock throwing drills during recess or play time using old tennis balls, thrown at targets painted on canvas? It could be made into a game.

I would use more than one bucket per classroom, though- the more buckets, the easier it would be to grab a rock.

Every kid would be a target anyway, so giving them something they can fight for their life instead of only cowering and hoping they won't be shot is good.
Sure- locking the classroom door is good. But throwing a good sized rock is too, if the door fails.
It's very simple, doesn't need a lot of thought, can happen fast, and it's safer than filling the air with lead in a wild crossfire.

Anything that can stop the shooting is better than nothing, and the simplest thing is often the best thing.
I don't think this is an ideal solution, and my first impulse was to laugh, but there is something to be said for teaching the kids to use any weapon at their disposal to protect themselves. It is, indeed, better than doing nothing. Women have been advised for decades to walk to our cars with our keychains in our fists, keys protruding between our fingers, to use as a weapon against potential assailants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 04:06 AM

23,626 posts, read 12,553,459 times
Is this site turning into The Onion?

When it was brought up about arming teachers(not the best idea, but..) people were scoffing at it saying what teacher would want to go up against a shooter. If people think a teacher, who would have a gun, would be too afraid to stand up against a shooter, what chances does someone have when all they have is a rock.

Maybe disband school buildings, have an online version of a school.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:12 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Is this site turning into The Onion?

When it was brought up about arming teachers(not the best idea, but..) people were scoffing at it saying what teacher would want to go up against a shooter. If people think a teacher, who would have a gun, would be too afraid to stand up against a shooter, what chances does someone have when all they have is a rock.

Maybe disband school buildings, have an online version of a school.
Yep. And I'm one who is opposed to teachers being armed, too many bad outcomes.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:32 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Thirty simultaneous 50mm rocks vs a handful of 5.56mm lumps of lead.

Hmmmm ...
Alternatively, hands held up to shield .223 cal bullets have proved ineffective.

Catholic school teachers used pieces of blackboard chalk quite effectively to halt unwanted behavior.

Stones probably have killed as many as bullets over time, unless you want to count arrows.

The rock suggestion represents a different direction that needs to be explored. the same old ineffective solutions are mandated by restricted thinking that demands bumper sticker solutions to very complex problems. Some times the simplest solutions for real time problems are the way to go. Doesn't solve the problem of widespread violence, does solve the problem that is unexpectedly in your face.

Forget the panel of psychologists paid to come up with ways to identify susceptible students, just ask the kids who they think are off the rails odd. They may discover some new rock star in waiting or a future killer. Have to accept a few false positives.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:31 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I don't think this is an ideal solution, and my first impulse was to laugh, but there is something to be said for teaching the kids to use any weapon at their disposal to protect themselves. It is, indeed, better than doing nothing. Women have been advised for decades to walk to our cars with our keychains in our fists, keys protruding between our fingers, to use as a weapon against potential assailants.
Years ago I watched a woman knock a man out cold with her purse. She was taught to keep two rolls of quarters in her purse for protection.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:33 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You know, I went through years of training and drills for response to school incidents, as well as instructing my fellow staff members, from the early 1990s until I retired in 2014. Not once, not ever, was what you just wrote ever suggested.
The local community college instructs students to put a table against the door. The problem is, you would not know there is a shooter until it is too late to do that.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:37 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
Good grief...as soon as the very first .223 round is squeezed off, every person in the room not holding a weapon would be on the floor.
It all depends on training and knowledge of the possibilities if you don't act. Hiding under the desk will not save their lives. These monsters count on the fact they will face sheep; that is why they choose the school in the first place.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:40 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You know, I went through years of training and drills for response to school incidents, as well as instructing my fellow staff members, from the early 1990s until I retired in 2014. Not once, not ever, was what you just wrote ever suggested.
https://www.alicetraining.com/

ALICE & Run-Hide-Fight Training: Teaching Students to Attack Gunmen - School SecuritySchool Security

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017...valuate-safety

Here's how children are taught to survive a school shooting - Business Insider

https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2...-frighten.html

Old 03-24-2018, 08:43 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The local community college instructs students to put a table against the door. The problem is, you would not know there is a shooter until it is too late to do that.
That's a response if an alert/Code Red Lockdown has been called. That's assuming someone in the office was able to issue it. The office because that's where the PA system controls are.

A major problem with protecting classrooms is that many/most have no way to lock them from the inside so the teacher has to go into the hall to key them locked. SOP in many school systems is to not have the class doors locked during school hours (itself for security reasons).

I can tell that no one advocating the "Rock Response" hasn't thought of logistics. Bad guy comes into room, teacher says "Wait a moment while I distribute rocks to be thrown at you". One reality is that there will be a subset of kids who will grab those rocks when they come into the room for later distribution. In the cafeteria, out a bus window, whatever.

The reality is that if a bad guy comes into a room the first response at all age levels is to panic. Hell, kids have panic attacks and cry during scheduled and announced fire drills. I'm talking high school.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:47 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
School security Palestinian style.
That was funny....

yeh.. I don't think its a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies