Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 02:24 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,835,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The top 10-20% also make 80% of the money
And for that we punish their success. They pay a disproportionately high amount of tax, while receiving the least amount of benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 02:27 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's the truth. I say that without pride or prejudice in the fact.

Especially for those applying for college or trying to get loans deferred due to low income.

Don't forget Medicaid, which isn't in all states for the poor as you noted, but if it is that's a huge bonus.

Plus anyone who qualifies for Medicaid gets a free phone or their service paid for. Not to mention help with utilities.

This isn't me bashing the poor at all. The government makes it very tempting to stay below that threshold for numerous reasons. That's what the government wants: a class of people dependent on it.

My anger is with the State (as always! ). I feel bad for someone who is getting services and trying to improve their lot in life when they face a possible uptick over the threshold leaving them in the cold. The State doesn't allow us to use our bodies as we see fit. We don't own our labor. We can't use the currency we want. We can't even decide for ourselves who to associate with.

Ya gotta eat. I get it. That's why I don't blame anyone for not taking the plunge over the threshold unless they are going to clear it by a good bit to offset the losses they will incur by losing the handouts.

In the grand scheme of it all I can't blame anyone on what they do inside statism provided they aren't actively committing aggression against other individuals (the State is not an individual and has no rights). We are all in a mad social engineering experiment with Uncle Sam pulling the strings. That's why I say instead of tinkering with the string pulling (more social engineering) we should just cut the strings and bid Uncle Sam farewell.
The bolded isn't true. My fiance is on the tail end of Medicaid until her benefits kick in at her new job, and she's had to pay her own phone bill every month

Old 04-08-2018, 02:28 PM

1,225 posts, read 606,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
And for that we punish their success. They pay a disproportionately high amount of tax, while receiving the least amount of benefits.
You get more, you give more. Who else is supposed to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
That's how taxes work. And they still get more money after taxes than people who earn less than them. Deal with it

16,569 posts, read 15,284,785 times
Is welfare Poir French for welfare poor?

Old 04-08-2018, 02:29 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Welfare should require SS taxed and paid income in the same manner future unemployment comp requires earnings SINCE you last collected.

I'd favor allowing Welfare in any form collected to be capped at no more than 10% of the recipient's lifetime gross income since last collecting. So if Welfare mama has made and submitted IRS tax forms showing 100k in income since her last "On the Dole" session, she is capped at 10k in total benefits.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Welfare should require SS taxed and paid income in the same manner future unemployment comp requires earnings SINCE you last collected.

I'd favor allowing Welfare in any form collected to be capped at no more than 10% of the recipient's lifetime gross income since last collecting. So if Welfare mama has made and submitted IRS tax forms showing 100k in income since her last "On the Dole" session, she is capped at 10k in total benefits.
Nope, that's just social darwinism

20,757 posts, read 8,588,145 times
Women on welfare should have to get Depo Provera birth control shots every three months or be offered the option of free tubal ligation. If they want more kids they can get a job or find a man to pay for them, not the taxpayers. We'd save a bloody fortune.

I'd also like to see job training by having these women take care of other women's kids in a community childcare in exchange for a small allowance and job referrals. They will learn how to show up on time for a job and follow orders. I'd like to see employers earn a tax break for hiring these women later.

"Give a (wo)man a fish and you feed him/her for a day. Teach a (wo)man to fish and you feed him/her for a lifetime."

Last edited by PilgrimsProgress; 04-08-2018 at 02:39 PM..

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Slowly but very slowly the parallel protected groups are converging in their paths and conflicting
No longer are they fighting against a common enemy but now each other

Old 04-08-2018, 02:31 PM

1,225 posts, read 606,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

So then people should be punished for their lack of earning power? For some households it’s cheaper for one parent to stay home while the other works because they care is so darn expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies