Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2018, 08:48 PM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
From Trump's actions, it doesn't at all surprise me there's something to hide that's probably financial. Mueller will either find it or he will not. It will either be impeachable or it will not. Time will tell.
Is the goal to "get something on him and make it stick." In Robert Penn Warren's All the King's Men the politician (obviously a clone of Huey Long) told the protagonist “get something on him, and make it stick.” The result, if I recall correctly, was a suicide attempt.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:23 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
So in conversation with someone in another state==say California--that might have different law--
As long as the recording is made in NY state, that is legitimate and useable as evidence in court if legally obtained?
Correct. As long as the recording was made in NY, it does not matter what the other jurisdiction says. I worked as a management consultant for a number of years and taped my calls/interviews with clients. One of the reasons some larger firms outsourced their work to me is I could tape a call based on the jurisdiction I lived in, where they could not.

This was reviewed by counsel before I started the practice and was assured it was legal.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:33 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,819,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Is the goal to "get something on him and make it stick." In Robert Penn Warren's All the King's Men the politician (obviously a clone of Huey Long) told the protagonist “get something on him, and make it stick.” The result, if I recall correctly, was a suicide attempt.
And???

Old 04-12-2018, 09:36 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Tapes of possible threats to people, payoffs, illegal dealings, who knows maybe even murder? Cohen and Trump are in deep, deep trouble. Comey said Trump acted like a mobster. I knew this was about more than Stormy.

Sure, Stormy is just one aspect of this whole investigation. Cohen is in some deep ****, and Donald Trump is sweating bullets. I bet we see some really radical act by Trump in the next week or so, he has to be trying to figure out what he can do to put a halt to all of this.

I'd love to be a little fly on the wall and watch what Trump is actually doing. If he is as angry as he has been on TV, can you begin to imagine what he is like in private ?

Old 04-12-2018, 09:42 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,231,047 times
Cohen has been awfully quiet regarding this. Does he know the *** is up? He's kind of know for his bluster, and legal threats to anyone who dares go after his Dear Leader/Father Figure. "I'll come after you for every penny you don't have". Remember the bragging, not even a couple of weeks ago, about how he looks forward to the $20M From Stormy's breach of the NDA, 20 times, at $1M each. He ain't so mouthy all the sudden, is he?

Old 04-12-2018, 09:42 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
What difference does it make if these tapes can be admissible as evidence or not in the long run? It's the leads that these tapes will provide for the investigation going forward.
Tapes are physical evidence of comments some people likely would not admit to saying on the stand or in a deposition
Having some comments on tape allow the prosecution to just avoid a lot of lies on part of people who would never admit their guilt...

Old 04-12-2018, 10:21 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,573,451 times
Recordings likely going back years??? OMG! As a former US DOL investigator the thought of just indexing that information - what a challenge. Today they could likely use transcription software to make the job easier but if there is anything of interest (include or exclude as something covered by attorney-client communication) it will take a human to listen closely.

Were I Cohen I would ask for me and my family to be placed in a witness protection program. I don't think they can request the court to secure his passport without an indictment (maybe a material witness?) but were I the FBI I would have him under surveillance.

Maybe I am just a crazy woman but his current demeanor is so different than how he has, reputably, behaved in the past. I wonder if he is medicated or .....?

Old 04-12-2018, 10:23 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Tapes are physical evidence of comments some people likely would not admit to saying on the stand or in a deposition
Having some comments on tape allow the prosecution to just avoid a lot of lies on part of people who would never admit their guilt...
Yes, but my points is that if they are inadmissible as evidence for one reason or another, the information provided on them can still be of value to the investigation.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't think anyone in this saga is as tortured by the past and his own moral culpability as Jack Burden was...
But some are certainly as amoral as Willie Stark...

Old 04-12-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Yes, but my points is that if they are inadmissible as evidence for one reason or another, the information provided on them can still be of value to the investigation.
Yes--and while/if not admissible in a court of law they certainly have bargaining power against the parties involved...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies