Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 11:43 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times

Advertisements

That big mouth boy?

He got some splainin' to do.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:49 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
And right out of the playbook, the personal attacks on the judge begins.
The desperation is palpable. No matter. Cohen is gonna sing and Trump is gonna swing.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:54 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,591,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
And right out of the playbook, the personal attacks on the judge begins.
It's a pretty rote action by Putin's trolls, isn't it? I wonder what they are paid?

Old 04-19-2018, 12:52 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Eventually Cohen will have to face discovery. It is inevitable.
Hopefully his attorneys will knock some common sense into Cohen. He would be most fortunate if he comes out of this with just a disbarment. He would be wise to answer questions from the DOJ honestly, and offer to cooperate in other ongoing investigations if the chance to do so arises.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:03 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
That is correct. But, it's not as salacious as Loves To read things it is. And, Cohen has plenty of money. The reason he tapped his HELOC to pay the ***** was so he would have a legit paper trail in case the left pulled this crap on him.
I don't think I implied or categorized it as salacious
(of writing, pictures, or talk) treating sexual matters in an indecent way and typically conveying undue interest in or enjoyment of the subject.

I think I considered it--Cohen's use of the "paper trail" of that home loan to pay
Daniels-- as either stupid --as in likely to get him in trouble--or a cover up--

Maybe Cohen thought he was smart like a fox--laying a false trail in case anyone came sniffing around...

If you want to protect an illegal source of payoff money to protect a candidate for the presidential election
You cloak it so people don't look for it--then maybe you consider doing something like Cohen did---
take a bank/mortgage loan for the exact amount of the payoff and gossip to your buddies that Trump hasn't paid you back for fronting the money to pay off his bimbo...

What better way to divert attention from the fact that you had access to the RNC money as ass't national campaign finance chair at that time...
And dipped into those funds for Daniels---and just held the bank's money to pay yourself back and claim it came from Trump ==so that made the money just a "loan" from a close friend who also happened to be his attorney...

To me that sounds even more plausible (not salacious) and more criminal---because Cohen broke more laws doing it my way...

Old 04-19-2018, 01:14 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,735,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
none of that changes the fact that potter believes it was an illegal campaign contribution.
I agree. Potter is entitled to his opinion. Believing something and proofing something is two different things. When the final disposition of guilt is a fine you and I both know that these laws were put in place without consequential jail time to appease the masses to make it appear someone was doing something to hold people accountable.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
The cop who gave me a ticket is a Republican. I would complain to the judge but he is a Republican as well. I guess I can't get justice for myself.... What nonsense. If you break the laws at the highest levels, party should not matter.
I agree with you 100%. The evidence of such crimes needs to be undeniable. Suspicion of a crime and numerous unnamed sources that claim a crime has been committed are not evidence. That's what the investigations are for. However, investigations cannot be open-ended looking for the tiniest infraction to base a crime in when the original investigation didn't bear fruit. If these guys are guilty of treasonous acts then get them the eff out. If Cohen is guilty of a possible Campaign finance law for paying hush money to a hooker where the penalty at worst is a fine, I don't care, and the majority of the American people don't care either.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:22 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
Hopefully his attorneys will knock some common sense into Cohen. He would be most fortunate if he comes out of this with just a disbarment. He would be wise to answer questions from the DOJ honestly, and offer to cooperate in other ongoing investigations if the chance to do so arises.
The attorneys that showed up Monday were ill prepared to do what could have been done to protect Hannity's privacy

Either they weren't very smart or they weren't committed to the privacy part

Maybe they didn't plan on the attorney representing the 5 media organizations who argued for the people's right to know and see the government's work done in the light vs the dark--
His argument was the only one to specify a legal case law cite--which was spot on target and quoted a former Supreme Court Justice to make his argument
So he caught her knowing the law was not in favor of Hannity's privacy based on the argument Cohen's attorneys made---

And she requested Cohen's lead attorney (not Schwartz) to pass her the name to be read aloud by the bailiff or read it himself--and he did...

IF Hannity really wanted his name to be kept private to the public (not the attorneys in the case) he could/should have had his own attorney there to argue that issue
Cohen's attorneys should have presented that option to Hannity when he was told about the search warrants and they found out he was a Cohen client...

Or maybe using Hannity--who would do anything Trump wanted for access to POTUS--was just a way to make Cohen seem legitimate--

Other wise his only two clients were two guys with strong ties to the GOP/RNC and NDA payoffs...
Sounds like a bag-man's line of work--not an attorney...

Old 04-19-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Fortunately or unfortunately (as your party waxes and wains) the POTUS does have the power to pick and choose judges for some courts in the US--

He has to abide by the "advise and consent" oversight rule however
Trump has had some nominees approved--
This link is about one of the more egregious failures
And while it points to a weakness in the system that makes finding a good choice difficult
Trump's choice Matthew Peterson had never been a practicing attorney--of any kind--
So how could he know anything about the legal process???

He was a political appointee of the first order simply because someone in the GOP wanted him to get a lifetime appointment to the bench where he could implant his conservative conscientious on legal precedent

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...eterson-307382

And there are more like him because Trump and his remora are not about legal ability as much as political and religious views
Look, if you want to down this rabbit hole than you have to hold every party accountable for doing the same thing. Obama's people made sure the courts were stacked in Democrats favor as we have seen with the circuit courts ruling against Trump's immigration and travel ban policies as one example. Polices that are at the discretion of the POTUS when it comes to immigration.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
There is so much information out there about Judge Wood--most of it accurate although with the alt-right gunning for her, I guess that will change
But YES--she was nominated by Reagan after he received a nomination request by former, very powerful GOP Senator Al DiAmatto...Amatto was impressed by her legal knowledge and professionalism--not her political ties
That ability to be unbiased when seeking jurists has surely suffered with the new tribalism of GOP politics...
Al Damatto was another gem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies