Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: White privilege, based on the quote in the OP:
I think it exists. 64 30.05%
Maybe it does exist, but only in the form mentioned in the quote. 4 1.88%
Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. 27 12.68%
I don't agree with the quote. 33 15.49%
No way it exists and the quote and this question are silly. 85 39.91%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 09:12 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
For one who fancies herself so brilliant, you don't quite understand that the phrase *white privilege* is manufactured based on a false narrative.

Black folks who are mistreated doesn't = white folks are privileged.
Once again, if you dislike the term, please provide a new one that you consider more appropriate. Until you do, this smells like deflection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 09:18 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Once again, if you dislike the term, please provide a new one that you consider more appropriate. Until you do, this smells like deflection.

Plenty of alternatives have been advanced. Those who advance the concept of "white privilege" have decided that the terms which already exist are insufficient.

I don't know how many times it has to be explained to you that having a PRIVILEGE is being treated in a way that is SPECIAL or BEYOND THE EXPECTED NORM FOR EVERYONE ELSE.

If what white people experience (in some mystical collective where there is a shared "white experience") is the default for the US and other western countries because they represent the MAJORITY, then that is the BASELINE from which all other experiences are measured.

In that way, "white people" as a group can NEVER be "privileged." Non-white people can only ever be DISADVANTAGED or DISCRIMINATED by not having the EXPECTED and NORMAL experience of the majority.

"Privilege" theory is an abhorrent worldview to have. It's also funny how race-based privilege is focused on, when so many others appear to be far more correlative to one's experience in general in the US than race. Leftists always focus on a few pet categories of analysis while ignoring 100 others behind the curtain.

Check your privilege? Time to start checking the ignorance around here.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:20 AM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times
well, life is tough enough. If white folks have white privilege, use it.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:21 AM

41,960 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I don't know how many times it has to be explained to you that having a PRIVILEGE is being treated in a way that is SPECIAL or BEYOND THE EXPECTED NORM FOR EVERYONE ELSE.
I'm sorry you're not able to comprehend the dictionary definition of "priviliege" provided above. How sad for you.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:33 AM

1,122 posts, read 962,275 times
I think many do not read enough or open up their minds today. There are so many GREAT African Americans who are doing great things in America today. Thomas Sowell - Larry Elder - Ben Carson - Walter Williams - Clarence Thomas - and there are so many more that are doing wonderful today.

My father (Caucasian) only had an eight grade education. He went on to work at Studebaker in Indiana as a young man. Joined the Navy - got out of Navy on honorable discharge - moved to Malibu, CA with his parents in the 40's - married my mom in 1948 - got a job at North American Aviation in El Segundo, CA and went back to night school at Torrance High and got his GED. Had bought a home on GI Bill in Torrance, CA in 1955. Worked his way up at North American Aviation / Boeing and became one of the best Tool Designers. Nothing was given to him. He was not privileged. He worked his butt off. My sisters and I learned from our father that if you work hard you can achieve anything. Doesn't matter what color you are.

I now live in a very diverse community and our neighbors have taught their 6 children that education is important. They are Latino. All four of the older siblings are attending universities in California and have a GPA 4.0 One is graduating this week from a University in Redwood, CA. Their father owns a restaurant in the Beach Cities that gets good ratings. Anything is possible WITH HARD WORK.

White Privilege is something that was brought to the forefront by a man by the name of Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and undocumented immigrant Jose Antonio Vargas. He also made a documentary film called "White People" He created most of this. He also did something on MTV. He's very combative when you try to talk to him which I did online. White kids started feeling guilty for the color of their skin and I will simply say NO ONE should be shamed for the color of their skin ...NO ONE. Character does matter-please do not forget that. I have HIGHEST respect for people who want to do better - to better their lives.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:00 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Democrats can keep talking about white privilege and they will continue to lose elections. A lot of struggling white people out there who do not feel real privileged.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:56 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
This lying black person used her blackness to try to get a cop fired, and probably win some big settlement money. Nobody would have ever paid her story the slightest bit of attention in the first place, if she were not black:

Black woman claiming to be harassed by a white cop is proven wrong | Daily Mail Online

Black privilege.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:00 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
This lying black person used her blackness to try to get a cop fired, and probably win some big settlement money. Nobody would have ever paid her story the slightest bit of attention in the first place, if she were not black:

Black woman claiming to be harassed by a white cop is proven wrong | Daily Mail Online

Black privilege.
Thank god for video cam or this poor cop would probably be out a job because of this LIAR.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:16 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
I don't see how anyone can deny that white privilege exists. That being said, it waxes and wanes depending on the context, and it doesn't go as deep as the most ardent SJW will tell you.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:20 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Couldn't participate in your poll because of the way the question was intertwined with the commentary. Thus I couldn't be sure of the definition or my view.

I will point out that privileged seems to depend on the eye of the beholder. The lists within these posters can give you some perspective of how whites view blacks as having privilege;

`

https://i.imgur.com/rEt0NRC.png

http://i.imgur.com/hbrQAPi.jpg

http://www.freeople.com/sites/defaul...propaganda.png

`

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-11-2018 at 05:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies