Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 07:18 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Metal detectors good idea -- but in schools where there are 4000 kids -- that line up to go through the metal detectors, emptying their pockets.....putting their book bags. Now e are talking TSA kind of security.
Yeah, and? I think it sucks, but here we are. 22 school shootings so far in 2018 alone. They can have several entrances with metal detectors. At the Harris County courthouse there are entrances from the front, back, and the tunnel system that runs underground between buildings in downtown Houston. All of the entrances have metal detectors. And there are probably more than 4,000 people going in there everyday. People adjust.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:21 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Metal detectors good idea -- but in schools where there are 4000 kids -- that line up to go through the metal detectors, emptying their pockets.....putting their book bags. Now e are talking TSA kind of security.
"Make sure you get to school two hours early, the lines are a bear".

Old 05-21-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It has a major inhibiting effect. Not a single judge has been killed inside a courtroom again since they installed metal detectors.
Those who had a desire simply waited until they were no longer in the courtroom.

Judge in high-profile cases killed outside his Chicago home

https://www.cnn.com/2017/04/10/us/ch...led/index.html

The idea that someone that decides to do something like this wouldn't pick somewhere else to do it is a flawed argument. Do we put metal detectors are parks? How would that even work?

Old 05-21-2018, 07:31 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:

The detectors don't have to be ramped up to detect objects as small as a class ring and the security doesn't have to be looking for nail clippers.

But the problem with metal detectors is that it would be a bottleneck and result in a crowd or long line waiting to get through. And that is an even richer target environment.

You could have a simple pass-through checkpoint that would not impede entry and that would stop the rifles. No need for a metal detector to detect those.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:42 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The detectors don't have to be ramped up to detect objects as small as a class ring and the security doesn't have to be looking for nail clippers.

But the problem with metal detectors is that it would be a bottleneck and result in a crowd or long line waiting to get through. And that is an even richer target environment.

You could have a simple pass-through checkpoint that would not impede entry and that would stop the rifles. No need for a metal detector to detect those.
That would work -- I think that's more important -- the metal detector -- than an armed guard....because a kid can walk by an armed guard .

Old 05-21-2018, 07:51 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Those who had a desire simply waited until they were no longer in the courtroom.

Judge in high-profile cases killed outside his Chicago home

https://www.cnn.com/2017/04/10/us/ch...led/index.html

The idea that someone that decides to do something like this wouldn't pick somewhere else to do it is a flawed argument. Do we put metal detectors are parks? How would that even work?
Yeah, I don’t care. My children should be safe in school. It will have an inhibiting effect, and we need it because this will continue to happen until the kids know it cannot get them the notoriety they seek. There are kids out there who celebrate Eric Harris’ birthday every year. They greatly admire him. He killed 13 people and became some sort of hero to kids who weren’t even alive when the Columbine shooting happened. Something needs to be done.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:52 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If you think the media doesn’t cheer when there are dead children, you have no idea about media business.
I must have missed those pep rallies when I worked in TV News. Either that or making **** up to prove some point.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:59 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
So Liberals dont want armed guards, no metal detectors, no arming teaches, no check point entry; just pass a law that angry suicidal kids bent on killing their peers will could care less about.

How can this possibly have any logic in it, boggles me.

When I was going to high school in California in the mid 90's, we had a fenced close campus with metal detectors with over 2000 students. I didn't see any problem going in and out of school. Students learn very quickly what items not to bring so they dont get pulled aside and frisked.

Just having these check points will deter shooters. Shooters cant simply come on campus unchecked unabated with long riffles, handguns, explosives, etc open doors and start shooting.

I think, gun grabbers could care less about kids lives - they just hate guns and the people who own them. Children's safety......who cares! Just as long as john doesn't have that gun i dont like.

Last edited by hawaiiancoconut; 05-21-2018 at 08:07 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Yeah, I don’t care. My children should be safe in school. It will have an inhibiting effect, and we need it because this will continue to happen until the kids know it cannot get them the notoriety they seek. There are kids out there who celebrate Eric Harris’ birthday every year. They greatly admire him. He killed 13 people and became some sort of hero to kids who weren’t even alive when the Columbine shooting happened. Something needs to be done.
Obviously.

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
How would they know which teacher is armed? Do tell....
Likely the school shooter would just shoot any teacher he sees.

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 05-21-2018 at 08:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies