Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 08:58 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You think that it won't prevent future shootings if parents are afraid they might land in prison and start securing their guns properly so their teenagers cannot access them?

I disagree.

I'm not against armed resource officers, but schools already have those.

So, what's this extra guard/guards going to do that the armed officers schools already have do not do?

Shooters know they are going into a situation where there's someone armed and they still do it anyway.
Charging parents isn't good enough. We need to go under the assumption that angry bullied suicidal kid/s will find a way to obtain firearms - not just from their parents (i.e. Columbine shooters - illegal straw purchase)

I'm suggesting that we make it harder for these kids to enter school grounds fully armed with guns and explosives. The past school shootings, these kids walked onto their school like it was a public park. Way too easy.

Those days have to end if we truly care about our children's safety. So what if the security entrance is similar to Disneyland or an airport.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:59 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,086,446 times
They need to have a metal detector man trap everyone goes through

Old 05-21-2018, 09:01 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And what does he do currently, wave them by and let them go?
Don't be dense. My comment was directed toward people who think arming teachers is a good idea. The shooter would likely shoot teachers first. And oddly, some mass killers do pick and choose who they kill. Many times witness recount the killer looking straight at them but not shooting while he kills the person next to them.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:04 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
I'm suggesting we charge parents when kids take their unsecured guns and go shoot up a school and you're saying this won't work?

I bet you it will.

Not every time, but an awful lot of them.

I fail to see why a responsible gun owner would object.

I'm not talking about banning guns. That's ridiculous.

That's silly.

For one, charging parents after the fact doesn't bring the dead kids back. For another, parents don't tend to view their kid as the next potential shooter. They aren't going to be thinking "I better do this and this or that, else I'll be in trouble if my kid shoots up his school someday". And finally, many of these shooters are angry with their parents and this just gives them another way to hurt them.

Here's a novel idea - stop reporting the school shootings with 24/7 coverage on every channel. It just gives all the disturbed kids more ideas and shows them how infamous they can become. They also learn techniques to bypass security and be more "effective".

Old 05-21-2018, 09:06 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Armed guards is a start. But we also need metal detectors, and barb-wire fences around the school to keep the shooters out of the playing fields. Get rid of windows too, because a sniper can easily shoot through them from the street. Probably walls surrounding the school yards would be best.
Basically, something like this.
That looks like the kind of school I would love to send my kids too

Old 05-21-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Yeah... you'd need a ton of metal detectors AND armed guards to police every entry and exit point with all the larger campuses, mobile units, etc.

It's not really feasible. Schools already tend to have resource officers, so someone armed is on campus.

When you have people pulling fire alarms and the like, you make it so anything you do to stop a shooting can be easily thwarted by a person pulling a fire alarm, waiting outside, and shooting people as they exit.

Why do we even have fire alarms that can be set off by kids? When was the last time we had a serious school fire? Just make them key-activated and only faculty have keys.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:13 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Who says?

Why shouldn't you have a pistol, everywhere you go? Would that be a recipe for disaster?
Naah; just indicative a country losing any semblance of practical freedom while rushing to regress to the 1800's.

Every other top tier country enjoying the freedom to not have to worry about walking around strapped due to fear of their fellow citizens realizes the oxymoronic nature of this conundrum and has done for over a hundred years.

We enjoy the freedom to have our kids attend school without fear of getting shot by their peers.

We enjoy the freedom of undergoing a routine traffic stop without subconsciously thinking of having to keep our hands in plain view and having the cop approach with his hand on his gun.

We enjoy the freedom of not worrying about getting shot if we inadvertently cut somebody off on the drive home.

We enjoy the freedom of not carrying a firearm all day because we're afraid.

We enjoy the freedom of not having to think about this issue at all.

Lastly we enjoy the freedom of not having our citizens killing each other at a greater rate than some third world war zones.

Now that's freedom both practical and actually realized. Not just a word constantly mouthed as a platitude.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
So, if your kid drills through your safe, you're not charged? I mean, that sounds reasonable enough and might lead to people purchasing safes that are a bit harder to thwart if this becomes the common method of obtaining your dad's guns, no?

I'm really just thinking this over right now, but I'm thinking the odds go way down if you tell people they might go to prison if their kids ever shoot people with your guns.

Are you actually a parent? Most parents don't even consider the possibility that their kids could be a "shooter". Even the ones with long juvi rap sheets are "good kids inside". Losing a child is the greatest tragedy of all for most parents and if that alone isn't enough to deter it then nothing is.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:19 AM

25,771 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
We protect our military bases, airports, banks, and George Soros' house by people with guns and you hardly see a mass shooting at those venues.

But concerts, schools, movie theaters, churches have little to no security which makes it an easy target for mass shooters.

Maybe it's time we need more armed guards or more open carry permits.

For further reading
Please don't post obvious solutions here. It's detrimental to the leftist thought process.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:22 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,701,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Why do we even have fire alarms that can be set off by kids? When was the last time we had a serious school fire? Just make them key-activated and only faculty have keys.
Imagine that before we had the fire alarm pull, there was a fire at an institution like a school. And there was no pull alarm that anyone could use. And people died.

The country said "Never again! Let's do something so to prevent this."

It might have only taken once to recognize and fix the problem.

Not so with mass shootings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies