Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 08:00 AM

25 posts, read 24,749 times

Advertisements

The left fights this because they know it will work. They don't care about kids just how they can use them to ban guns. This is the end goal.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:01 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The detectors don't have to be ramped up to detect objects as small as a class ring and the security doesn't have to be looking for nail clippers.

But the problem with metal detectors is that it would be a bottleneck and result in a crowd or long line waiting to get through. And that is an even richer target environment.

You could have a simple pass-through checkpoint that would not impede entry and that would stop the rifles. No need for a metal detector to detect those.
Will it work? I remember they had something like that at amusement parks. I wouldn’t object as long as it could work. I know there are going to be incidents no matter what we do, but waiting around for new laws that won’t pass or be effective isn’t working, and we’ve reached a threshold where some kids have decided this is what they need to do to get notoriety and attention. Take that away from them and we will see less of these incidents.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:02 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
That is NOT the solution. Unless we are talking about a total gun ban and confiscation and closing our borders completely, then it’s not going to work. And we know the chances of that happening is zilch. Congress can’t even get many non-controversial laws passed because they’re always running for the next election. You think we are going to get even the wholly ineffective gun control laws they’re asking for passed in time for the next school year? Dream on!
I'm suggesting we charge parents when kids take their unsecured guns and go shoot up a school and you're saying this won't work?

I bet you it will.

Not every time, but an awful lot of them.

I fail to see why a responsible gun owner would object.

I'm not talking about banning guns. That's ridiculous.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:03 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,073 times
Pay for it with a tax on guns and ammunition. Can fund the mental health programs needed to prevent these incidents, too.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:04 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm suggesting we charge parents when kids take their unsecured guns and go shoot up a school and you're saying this won't work?

I bet you it will.

Not every time, but an awful lot of them.

I fail to see why a responsible gun owner would object.

I'm not talking about banning guns. That's ridiculous.
How many years would you give Adam Lanza's mom?

Old 05-21-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Has anyone here been in a high school during the day?
Yeah... you'd need a ton of metal detectors AND armed guards to police every entry and exit point with all the larger campuses, mobile units, etc.

It's not really feasible. Schools already tend to have resource officers, so someone armed is on campus.

When you have people pulling fire alarms and the like, you make it so anything you do to stop a shooting can be easily thwarted by a person pulling a fire alarm, waiting outside, and shooting people as they exit.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:07 AM

37,177 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
We protect our military bases, airports, banks, and George Soros' house by people with guns and you hardly see a mass shooting at those venues.

But concerts, schools, movie theaters, churches have little to no security which makes it an easy target for mass shooters.

Maybe it's time we need more armed guards or more open carry permits.

For further reading
How much more are you willing to pay in taxes to have this happen?

Old 05-21-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Let's play another game, which teacher is armed? Oh the kid just took out the armed guard, now the teacher(s) are alerted....

Your ASSumption is that armed teacher won't work....
My assumption is that teachers do not get paid enough to be armed and the odds of a teachers shooting an innocent student just went way up.

And... the odds of a student disarming a teacher are up there, too.

Schools are a bit chaotic at times. That's a huge responsibility when most of these shootings could be eliminated by making adults who legally own guns store them away from kids. And, if the kids get their hands on them, charge the adults because they are not taking good care of their guns.

That'd stop the majority of shootings. Would not have stopped the Parkland shooting, but most school shooters are not adults, so I'm all for a reduction right off the bat, then we work on reducing further, in whatever reasonable manner we can.

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Columbine happened while the assault weapons ban was still in place. It didn’t stop this problem, and no amount of new laws will either.
The ban actually did help. Eric Harris mentioned it in his journal (or maybe recorded it on tape) that he wanted assault weapons but could not get any since the ban was in place. Less regulation then may have meant more people dying.

FWIW, Columbine also had two guards. One was the SRO while the other for some reason was unarmed. Both were at a nearby fast food place getting lunch when the shooting happened.

50,244 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most mass shooters do not expect to survive the shoot. Their death is a part of the plan.

The Texas school had armed SROs. The shooter was a student at the school. He knew there were armed SROs.

Did not stop him from entering the school with guns under his Columbine style coat in 90 degree weather with guns, ammunition and bombs. Did not stop him from shooting 20 people.
Haven't heard the whole store but I believe those two engaging the shooter led to the end of the shooting?

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/alleged-sa...opstories.html

The suspect allegedly wrote in journals that he wanted to carry out the shooting and then commit suicide, but he gave himself up to authorities, according to Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, who called the shooting "one of the most heinous attacks that we've ever seen in the history of Texas schools."

As in, what if there weren't ROs.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 05-21-2018 at 08:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies