Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2018, 09:47 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,063,863 times

Advertisements

Everyone yakking about how this guy is Trump's puppet has no clue how it works......if/when he is confirmed he is untouchable. Sure, he may be playing ball now (shrewd to do so) but Supreme Court justices have and will become their own person once they get through the BS.

He has to say all the right things now....once he gets the job he will not have to worry about pleasing Trump or any other politician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 09:48 PM

7,826 posts, read 4,571,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Trump picked a guy who'd help him stay out of prison. This may be the smartest thing he's done yet.
For the life of me I don't understand why anyone would be surprised the most importation thing to Donald J Trump is the well being of Donald J Trump...

Old 07-09-2018, 09:50 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
For the life of me I don't understand why anyone would be surprised the most importation thing to Donald J Trump is the well being of Donald J Trump...
Yes, he’s so different from the rest of us.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:53 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,790,095 times
Somebody will shoot for Justice Kennedy's swing vote, because, let's face it, being the swing vote on a split court means "rock star" status for the one who is.

My guess is Justice Roberts has been aiming for it since before the ink dried on Justice Kennedy's retirement papers.

Not much change coming to the court until Justice Ginsberg retires.

Last edited by geofra; 07-09-2018 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: Added Point

Old 07-09-2018, 10:02 PM

32,079 posts, read 15,081,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Somebody will shoot for Justice Kennedy's swing vote, because, let's face it, being the swing vote on a split court means "rock star" status for the one who is.

My guess is Justice Roberts has been aiming for it since before the ink dried on Justice Kennedy's retirement papers.

Not much change coming to the court until Justice Ginsberg retires.
Roberts will definitely become the swing vote. Our court needs to be balanced

Old 07-09-2018, 10:15 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
There are quite a few populist republicans that are disappointed with this pick. Kavanaugh is an "inside the beltway" guy and more of an establishment republican than a "far right conservative" like many Trump supporters are.

Trump picked the judge who is soft on abortion in order to get the guy that might protect him from being prosecuted and protect him from Bob Mueller.

https://twitter.com/RayOfLaurel/stat...87455262957570
And yet he was working with Kenneth Star during Clinton... I think his goose is cooked. This isn't about balls and strikes here, it is about partisanship. And I'm OKish about him, I do not mind "inside the beltway" people, but this comment gives me entirely reason to be cautious. This just frustrates me to no end because of the hypocrisy.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:20 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,632,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
Lost in all this ahem, discussion: Brett Kavanaugh came from the DC Circuit Court, so President Trump gets to pick his replacement on that court as well.
The way the liberals are whining, I'm surprised they are not demanding that the nomination be decided by the popular vote.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:23 PM

7,826 posts, read 4,571,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And yet he was working with Kenneth Star during Clinton... I think his goose is cooked. This isn't about balls and strikes here, it is about partisanship. And I'm OKish about him, I do not mind "inside the beltway" people, but this comment gives me entirely reason to be cautious. This just frustrates me to no end because of the hypocrisy.
I'm particularly tickled with his argument that "an impeached and removed President is still subject to criminal prosecution afterwards"

Brett, there's a guy named Gerald R Ford you might want to read up on...

Old 07-09-2018, 10:26 PM

32,079 posts, read 15,081,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
The way the liberals are whining, I'm surprised they are not demanding that the nomination be decided by the popular vote.
Democrats are still upset about Garland. And you would be too if the situation was reversed

Old 07-09-2018, 10:27 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,600,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Heck, if Chuck Schumer doesn’t like him, he must be the right guy for the country.

Accurate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies