Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 12:27 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times

Advertisements

Yet ANOTHER violent lefty. A dime a dozen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 12:30 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Then how can you say her thoughts and feelings were developmentally appropriate if 17 year olds thoughts and feelings are all over the map. Is that to say any and all thoughts and feelings of 17 year olds are developmentally appropriate?

We all know what gets press, anything political, racial, homophobic, transgender or misogynistic. Id say that's 98% of the topics here.
A teenager feeling a sense of injustice and then flying off the handle? Yes, that's normal, although it's certainly not acceptable behavior to slap a teacher. Geez, I wonder if any of you ever spend any time with teenagers. They do this kind of stuff, which is why schools have counselors on staff to help them deal with their emotions being all over the place.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:32 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
A teenager feeling a sense of injustice and then flying off the handle? Yes, that's normal, although it's certainly not acceptable behavior to slap a teacher. Geez, I wonder if any of you ever spend any time with teenagers. They do this kind of stuff, which is why schools have counselors on staff to help them deal with their emotions being all over the place.
Mine never slapped a teacher or touched another student in a threatening manner. Glad my kids weren't "normal" if that's the the metric. It is surely not the kind of behavior to normalize and excuse.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Mine never slapped a teacher or touched another student in a threatening manner. Glad my kids weren't "normal" if that's the the metric.
Again, the behavior was unacceptable, and good for your kids for having excellent impulse control and refraining from lashing out, but I guarantee you that they felt like doing it, likely more than once. It's part of being a teenager, and it's normal. The kid in the video is being disciplined, and by now, she might even be feeling remorse for her behavior, but we'll never know. Sadly, her lapse in judgement has now been woven into a larger issue of political intolerance, which has given the story legs. In another time, this never would have made it past the school doors, and she would have been free to make amends and go on with her life, but not today. What a world we live in now!

Old 08-29-2018, 12:38 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:

So, yes then, any behavior except physical violence is developmentally appropriate for a 17 year old in your opinion.

Well, yes I raised two kids, have had my grands since they were 16 and 12 along with all my kids and grandkids teenage friends over the years and currently. While some of them have had emotional issues and needed counseling I wouldn't say lashing out over a hat is the norm or even developmentally appropriate for a 17 year old. It has been my experience at this age they have the ability of speech and dialogue and debate of controversial issues or differences of opinion.

Last edited by 2mares; 08-29-2018 at 12:50 PM..

Old 08-29-2018, 12:40 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
It's been my observation that since Trump's election, many people on both sides of the aisle are walking around with heightened emotions. There's an undercurrent of fear that I think is at the root of these types of behaviors. I feel it myself. We're all on a hair trigger any more.
Where do you live that ".....since Trump's election, many people on both sides of the aisle are walking around with heightened emotions. There's an undercurrent of fear......"?

I don't know ANYONE who feels like that. That's just weird.

We don't have the violent leftists or antifa types causing trouble here in NJ, thank goodness.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:40 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
some info missing from the first link.

Quote:
She yelled at a classmate in English class who was wearing a hat emblazoned with “Make America Great Again” and threw it to the ground, authorities said.

The teacher banished her from the class at Union Mine High School in El Dorado.

But she returned and snatched the hat a second time, and she slapped the teacher’s arm away when he tried to keep her from the other student, authorities said. She appears to curse in cellphone video filmed by a student and published by local media.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.50f4eb770a08

TDS.
it's real.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Where do you live that ".....since Trump's election, many people on both sides of the aisle are walking around with heightened emotions. There's an undercurrent of fear......"?

I don't know ANYONE who feels like that. That's just weird.

We don't have the violent leftists or antifa types causing trouble here in NJ, thank goodness.
You don't think there's a rise in people making mountains out of molehills? This thread, for example?

Old 08-29-2018, 12:43 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
In HS a girl who was known to be kind of wild was giving the principal a hard time in the cafeteria. He told her to come to his office and she said no, so he took her by the arm and she tried to hit him in the face. He grabbed her by the pony tail and put her against the concrete block wall until she was down on her knees. That was the only time I ever saw a student try to physically fight with a school authority.

I know it happens more now and they get away with it, and teachers can't/don't fight back.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:43 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
Quote:
Again, the behavior was unacceptable, and good for your kids for having excellent impulse control and refraining from lashing out, but I guarantee you that they felt like doing it, likely more than once. It's part of being a teenager, and it's normal. The kid in the video is being disciplined, and by now, she might even be feeling remorse for her behavior, but we'll never know. Sadly, her lapse in judgement has now been woven into a larger issue of political intolerance, which has given the story legs. In another time, this never would have made it past the school doors, and she would have been free to make amends and go on with her life, but not today. What a world we live in now!
After watching the father in the interview it doesn't appear to me there will be any parental repercussions for her, only legal ones. Hopefully she will finally learn a lesson that should have been taught much earlier. If I were her parent I would be mortified and definitely would not have put my daughter or myself out there as he did.

And of course my kids felt like lashing out at times. HS can be a difficult time but that doesn't excuse violent behavior one iota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies