Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 09:57 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Once again, I'd like to draw attention to the fact that the student is seventeen. Do any of you recall being seventeen? It's a time when we all feel a heightened sense of justice. Teenagers are working very hard on defining themselves, and that goes for the student wearing the MAGA cap as much as the student who got herself suspended. While her behavior was absolutely unacceptable, her thoughts, feelings, and, yes, even her leap to being personally offended, are developmentally appropriate.
Oh, gosh... NO. It is NEVER appropriate for a 17-year-old to steal another's personal property and batter another person. What on earth makes you think that's developmentally appropriate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 10:04 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Oh, gosh... NO. It is NEVER appropriate for a 17-year-old to steal another's personal property and batter another person. What on earth makes you think that's developmentally appropriate?
Read again because you missed my point.

Quote:
Once again, I'd like to draw attention to the fact that the student is seventeen. Do any of you recall being seventeen? It's a time when we all feel a heightened sense of justice. Teenagers are working very hard on defining themselves, and that goes for the student wearing the MAGA cap as much as the student who got herself suspended. While her behavior was absolutely unacceptable, her thoughts, feelings, and, yes, even her leap to being personally offended, are developmentally appropriate.
Clearly, I said her behavior, i.e., snatching the hat from the student's head and slapping her teacher, were unacceptable, but her thoughts and feelings were developmentally appropriate.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:08 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
There is a thread going on CDF that poo poos the notion that people that wear maga hats are harassed

Old 08-29-2018, 10:11 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
There is a thread going on CDF that poo poos the notion that people that wear maga hats are harassed
adults shouldn't wear baseball caps, unless to cover up their ridiculous looking hair

Old 08-29-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
adults shouldn't wear baseball caps, unless to cover up their ridiculous looking hair
My bald husband would disagree vehemently with you. He has a variety of hats to protect his head from sunburn, including a ball cap with his company's logo on it. (He does not, however, wear anything that makes a political statement.)

Old 08-29-2018, 10:40 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Judgmental much?

Old 08-29-2018, 10:44 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,239,759 times
I have noticed way to much of others attempting to dictate how a person may dress and present themselves. First is the Trump gear being offensive, then it's don't wear hats at all, old people shouldn't wear this or that, don't wear clothes that may offend people from other cultures, etc..

However it is fully acceptable to permanently tattoo our bodies with symbols of all types, but god forbid you wear a baseball cap.

I also find it interesting it is left wingers doing the censoring as they are more likely to be the most tatted up and their leftie brothers and sisters in the 60s and 70s created a whole culture around politically motivated styles and symbols.

I am glad that we didn't have these rules when I was in high school and were able to express ourselves with no issues. The most it would do is open a debate- actually talking about issues because school is supposed to promote thinking.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I have noticed way to much of others attempting to dictate how a person may dress and present themselves. First is the Trump gear being offensive, then it's don't wear hats at all, old people shouldn't wear this or that, don't wear clothes that may offend people from other cultures, etc..

However it is fully acceptable to permanently tattoo our bodies with symbols of all types, but god forbid you wear a baseball cap.

I also find it interesting it is left wingers doing the censoring as they are more likely to be the most tatted up and their leftie brothers and sisters in the 60s and 70s created a whole culture around politically motivated styles and symbols.

I am glad that we didn't have these rules when I was in high school and were able to express ourselves with no issues. The most it would do is open a debate- actually talking about issues because school is supposed to promote thinking.
Wow, then you must be up there in years because I am in my fifties, and I definitely remember there being limits on what I could wear to school, and political buttons, t-shirts, etc. were 100% prohibited.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:57 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Read again because you missed my point.

Clearly, I said her behavior, i.e., snatching the hat from the student's head and slapping her teacher, were unacceptable, but her thoughts and feelings were developmentally appropriate.

You don't really know what her thoughts and feelings were. You only know what she said in a sound bite.

Having said that, even seventeen year olds know that not everyone has the same opinion - and that's okay. In fact people much younger than seventeen know that.

You know who doesn't know that? The liberal loons on the far left.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:58 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Then that is sad. What were her thoughts, that "Make America Great Again" is racist. Then end.
At 17 I would hope the mind is more advanced and would include some dialogue supporting and explaining her position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies