Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 11:13 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,439,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and yet when presented with real facts, all you do is dismiss....typical leftist
I've never praised Cuba's central government.

I also acknowledge external affects on a country.

Now, will you read about the democratic structures in Cuba?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_Cuba
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 11:22 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I've never praised Cuba's central government.

I also acknowledge external affects on a country.

Now, will you read about the democratic structures in Cuba?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_Cuba
democratic?? structures

from the crappy wiki link you posted
""Since Cuba became a one-party republic and the Communist party became the official political party, the Cuban political system has been condemned by opposition groups, human rights groups, and foreign Western governments as undemocratic, a dictatorship or an authoritarian or totalitarian state""

Old 09-28-2018, 12:19 PM

5,735 posts, read 3,256,509 times
I wouldnt argue with this naive kid. He is most likely a high school or college student with any real world experience and doesn't have areal job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
democratic?? structures

from the crappy wiki link you posted
""Since Cuba became a one-party republic and the Communist party became the official political party, the Cuban political system has been condemned by opposition groups, human rights groups, and foreign Western governments as undemocratic, a dictatorship or an authoritarian or totalitarian state""

Old 09-28-2018, 12:34 PM

8,387 posts, read 4,374,196 times
I've been there. The people are nice, the food good, the architecture fabulous but try to talk politics with anyone and they refuse to speak out of fear. That is how good their political system works.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I've been there. The people are nice, the food good, the architecture fabulous but try to talk politics with anyone and they refuse to speak out of fear. That is how good their political system works.
Central government politics are different from municipal politics.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:12 PM

5,735 posts, read 3,256,509 times
How come you don't live in Cuba then????

Quote:
Central government politics are different from municipal politics.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:19 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times
Quote:
I mean the founding fathers didn’t want there to be campaigns either because they thought it would lead to outside influence and lead the whole thing to a popularity contest.

Modern day America is proof of this.
Nothing wrong with outside influence.

Voting always is about popularity - popularity of personality, policy, and ideals.

American politics isn't actually about personal popularity though -the EC is proof of this.

Last edited by Joe90; 09-28-2018 at 01:34 PM..

Old 09-29-2018, 07:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Quote:
Nope, Cuba has been left out of the global supply because of sanctions and their national instead of private model.

Also the production in Cuba has always been Cuban, no matter who had a piece of paper claiming it is theirs.
Move there and enjoy!

Old 09-29-2018, 08:49 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,215,763 times
Quote:
And not all state systems offer the same amount of oppression.

There is a monumental difference between North Korea and Iceland. Everyone should be able to acknowledge these differences.
All nations have the same aims(IE ends). The only difference is means.

Nations only oppress as much as it is necessary. No nation wants to kill or imprison anyone. They do so out of necessity alone.

The liberal-west is able to maintain itself without as much government force, because there are other methods/institutions which can coerce people into doing what is in the interests of the state.

Most of this comes in the form of propaganda. But the rest mostly comes from economic-extortion.

America only kills, imprisons, or oppresses when all other means of coercion have failed. Likewise does Cuba, and North Korea, and China, and Russia, and everywhere else. The moment you become an "enemy of the state", you will be dealt with, regardless of if you live in America or anywhere else.

"Propaganda is to a democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian state." - Noam Chomsky

"In democratic countries, the most important private organizations are economic. Unlike secret societies, they are able to exercise their terrorism without illegality, since they do not threaten to kill their enemies, but only to starve them.” - Bertrand Russell

"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in any thing else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent. If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-29-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
All nations have the same aims(IE ends). The only difference is means.

Nations only oppress as much as it is necessary. No nation wants to kill or imprison anyone. They do so out of necessity alone.

The liberal-west is able to maintain itself without as much government force, because there are other methods/institutions which can coerce people into doing what is in the interests of the state.

Most of this comes in the form of propaganda. But the rest mostly comes from economic-extortion.

America only kills, imprisons, or oppresses when all other means of coercion have failed. Likewise does Cuba, and North Korea, and China, and Russia, and everywhere else. The moment you become an "enemy of the state", you will be dealt with, regardless of if you live in America or anywhere else.

"Propaganda is to a democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian state." - Noam Chomsky

"In democratic countries, the most important private organizations are economic. Unlike secret societies, they are able to exercise their terrorism without illegality, since they do not threaten to kill their enemies, but only to starve them.” - Bertrand Russell

"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in any thing else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent. If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all." - Thomas Jefferson
Oh I completely agree.

I only bring up the point as to say not all states are equal in their violation of liberty, so it is possible to discern which ones are better and which ones are worse.

But in general states are machine of violence and are not and should not be part of the natural human order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies