Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2018, 01:52 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,439,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
You might want to explain that to the guy who's about to get executed, in post 172.

Sounds like the only type of freedom, is someone else's definition of freedom.
Oh, no doubt the central government has abused its powers before (so does ours), but that doesn’t change the democratic model of their political structure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 02:13 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Oh, no doubt the central government has abused its powers before (so does ours), but that doesn’t change the democratic model of their political structure.
The Cuban Model of local democracy, is just bread and circuses, and doesn't allow real change -if it did, I doubt Cuba would be what it is now.

There is much more freedom where I am, to live by one's economic/political beliefs, and no execution required.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
The Cuban Model of local democracy, is just bread and circuses, and doesn't allow real change -if it did, I doubt Cuba would be what it is now.

There is much more freedom where I am, to live by one's economic/political beliefs, and no execution required.
1. There is, but when most of the capital means to benefit your living are deprived from you due to a sanction regime that keeps Cuba away from the global supply chain, poverty will rule. That being said Cubans do see the benefit of their grassroots democracy

2. Controlling capital via legal documentation isn’t freedom, it’s authoritarianism.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:47 PM

30,182 posts, read 11,821,267 times
Quote:
The government and political structure are different things, I’m praising their grassroots styled direct democracy.

But there is only one political party. It is hard to tell what Cubans really want when they are not given a choice. People are there because they have no choice. All we know is when given a chance they get the heck off the island.

You should read the story of Yasiel Puig. Any country that forbids people from leaving is really running a jail not a country.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 09-24-2018 at 03:16 PM..

Old 09-24-2018, 02:50 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,557,325 times
Quote:
Denial is NOT a river in Africa, but, baby, you're in it.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:53 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times
Quote:
1. There is, but when most of the capital means to benefit your living are deprived from you due to a sanction regime that keeps Cuba away from the global supply chain, poverty will rule. That being said Cubans do see the benefit of their grassroots democracy

2. Controlling capital via legal documentation isn’t freedom, it’s authoritarianism.
I doubt Cubans would stick with their current system if they had the choice -compettion is just as much a part of human nature, as cooperation - your system seeks to restrict that, but people will be people, if they get the chance.

Controlling capital via legal documentation, is property, and property is freedom.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I doubt Cubans would stick with their current system if they had the choice -compettion is just as much a part of human nature, as cooperation - your system seeks to restrict that, but people will be people, if they get the chance.

Controlling capital via legal documentation, is property, and property is freedom.
1. Cubans could reform their central government, stop foreign interference in trade, and develop their economy, but they would retain their direct grassroots municipal democracy that is so beneficial to freedom.

Private property detracts from freedom, for it is different from personal property.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
But there is only one political party. It is hard to tell what Cubans really want when they are not given a choice. People are there because they have no choice. All we know is when given a chance they get the heck off the island.

You should read the story of Yasiel Puig. Any country that forbids people from leaving is really running a jail not a country.
A country isolated by sanctions tend to be poor. There are other elements to their society besides the central state and poverty.

Grassroots municipal democracy is a real thing there.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:00 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,764,939 times
It reminds me of my parents in China. They worked for a state-owned institute. Housing was free (we had a two-bedroom apartment when I was a kid), healthcare was free, and education was free. Nobody in our social circle was rich, but nobody struggled either.

However that was in the city. Farmers struggled a lot.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:06 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,764,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Propaganda? I lived in Miami. MANY Cubans who left will tell you the horrors of living there. It's so great, that people risk their fricken lives on tires and plywood, floating around in shark infested waters, not knowing if they'll make it or not, to get away from there. Yeah, what a slogan for the country.
In any society, there are some marginalized/failed individuals. They may succeed somewhere else and then blame the environment they lived in.

Personally I know some Chinese illegal immigrants. Their life in China was not too bad, but it was just a "tradition" of their village to sneak in America and make some quick cash. After they came here, however, they attack China government in all ways to justify their choice and then obtain a green card as a refugee. For those who have no college degree and do not want to fake a marriage, refugee is pretty much the only way.

Last edited by Bettafish; 09-24-2018 at 10:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies